Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-10-04 02:44:00

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Best Chicken Care Article I have read, and it is all referenced!

I just came across this gem tonight, I learned a ton and had to share.  It's nice to see references as well

Did you know feather pecking is actually displacement of ground pecking which chooks naturally do 35-50% of the day? 
Did you know do chickens do not end up as flighty if they are allowed/given roosts from being quite young?

Comfortable Quarters for Chickens in Research Institutions
http://labanimals.awionline.org/pubs/cq02/Cq-chick.html

2011-10-04 02:44:00

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-10-04 22:26:03

Amblecroft
Website

Re: Best Chicken Care Article I have read, and it is all referenced!

Awesome  article.  Thanks for sharing.  I love learning the whys and wherefores of animal behavior.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#3 2011-10-04 22:38:53

Amblecroft
Website

I have a friend that has 50-70 birds, all together but none free-ranging, and they are always a mess with feather pecking.  I've assumed it was because of a more stressful enclosed environment and I think like ground pecking it would be  a learned behavior as well.  It is a shame when all the birds are so pretty to look at and are missing half their plumage.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#4 2011-10-05 01:02:34

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The feather pecking seems to be hard to combat in the winter.  Hanging cabbages, and throwing down scratch helps, but not always.  I have about 30 hens that don't want to free range this year.  Their door is open and only 1/4 of the want to go outside, silly girls.  Had we had more time earlier in the summer, and no thought we were moving, I would have put them all in the mobile tractors, closed the big coop door and made them live out there.  Next summer!

#5 2011-10-09 00:54:26

texastinsel

This is going to sound silly, but I am still learning...cabbages hanging?? I am not sure that would go over well in this conservative, traditional, and rather reserved Chevy Chase...how could I do this without neighbors thinking I am uber cookoo??? If my babies will love it then I am all a go!! Although, the neighbors are rather shocked we have chicks...although legal here and all:thumbsup:

#6 2011-10-09 01:14:38

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Easy!  Take a 12" I bolt and 1" washer and a nut.  Take your bolt, hammer it through a cabbage, put the washer then the nut on the other end, hang on a rope or chain and watch.  The first one will take a day or more to wreck/eat/devour, once they get good, 30 min and it will be gone, they are like pirhanas!

We usually grow cabbages for them so we can do this in the winter, but we thought we were moving house and didn't plant any, so I'll buy them this year!

Don't worry about the neighbours, you will be entertainment for them!  :Crazy:

#7 2011-10-15 01:23:09

texastinsel

ummmm....I think we already are entertainment for them!!  I tried 'sshhhh-ing' the boys every time they even said the word 'chicks' because everything is so easily heard with these stone and brick houses everywhere!  I have given up on that though.  I will definitely try the cabbages.  How silly is it that I am already envisioning various colors of cabbage in their run?!  I guess it's the designer in me!!:lol:

#8 2011-10-15 02:25:31

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

OK, you want eccentric....
This is me digging out some greens for the chickens Christmas day 2 years ago.......
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_0014.jpg

We grow about 50-100 cabbages for them

Good thing our nearest neighbours are over 400 feet away :thumbs:

#9 2011-10-15 05:53:12

Skylinepoultry
Website

I love it Claire!

#10 2011-10-16 01:39:07

texastinsel

You rock Claire!!!!! I am all about the eccentric :thumbs: Bring it, girl!!!

I am shivering seeing all the snow...a baby about that as you already have learned about me...and am so impressed that you dug that out for your babies!  Great...so now I have to add cabbage to my ever growing list of veggies to plant for spring!:lol:

#11 2011-10-16 23:29:08

poplar girl
Administrator

A great article. Seems I need to do a bit more to provide adequate housing for my chooks over the winter. The cabage is a good idea. I may try the basket of hay, lettuce, etc. The article talks about as well.

About providing perches early...I was told not to provide a perch until chickens are about 6 months old to avoid them I denting their soft, developing breast bone. Maybe it depends on the shape of the perch.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2011-10-17 03:30:59

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I had heard that about the perches too, but the little boogers will roost on the waters and poop on them by about 2 weeks anyway, so may as well have it controlled.  We usually don't let them near roosts till 4- 6 weeks (and they are about 1" diam), and some like silkies never bother with them.  My 7 week old EOs are still huddling too, though that may be to do with the miserable weather!  :whistle:

I think that would be more of an issue if you were showing them, but I guess it makes it harder to evaluate for nature v's nurture, if some deformity is genetic or environmental .  I always manhandle my roosting chooks, it's about the only time you can touch a Black Penedesenca anyway!

Adverts

Board footer