Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-30 11:03:56

Young Heritage

NEW "used" Incubator. Finally got one :)

Finally have an incubator. I was going to build one but a friend found the deal of the year for me. It is an older one from an elderly man who has gotten out of poultry. I was fortunate enough to get it for free. It will hold up to 400 eggs. Has 6 Trays and what seems to have a screw type mechanical thermostat and a wire heating element. Going to be cleaning it out this weekend and and doing some minor repairs. Then time to fire it up and see how stable it is for a few days. Will try and post some pic this weekend as well. Its like Christmas for me :)

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

2011-09-30 11:03:56

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-30 11:19:05

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: NEW "used" Incubator. Finally got one :)

:congrats: I hope it runs like a charm! You can produce alot of chicks in 21 days with a 400 egg capacity incubator if it's working well :whistle:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-09-30 12:19:15

Young Heritage

That's what I'm afraid of =D

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#4 2011-09-30 13:07:30

Susan
Administrator

Wow! Isn't that awesome. :doI?:  you know you don't have to fill it every 21 days though right? lol.

#5 2011-09-30 16:20:37

Young Heritage

Susan wrote:

you know you don't have to fill it every 21 days though right? lol.

What is the fun of that? :lol:

My wife would kill me if i hatched that many at once, much less every 21 days. I would be ok with it but she would not, hahaha.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#6 2011-10-01 01:51:58

Flat Rock Farm

Oh boy you could get in trouble with that, 400 eggs........ WOW :whistle:

#7 2011-10-01 19:24:22

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:congrats: That is great.  I still have to get some more incubators!  :chook: My broodies have hatched every baby here this year!  The best thing about the big incubators is you can just keep adding eggs, don't have to do big batches.  You just a need a non-turning hatching area! :thumbs:

#8 2011-10-02 03:18:16

Young Heritage

None of he trays have turners. They will have to be turned by hand and since there is 6 or 7 trays "I think" I may be able to split the door and use it as a hatcher as well. We will see how it works out. I will get some pics up tomorrow and maybe I can get some suggestions or improvement ides from everyone here. I actually will have the time tomorrow to clean it out and get it setup and the electrical tested. Im eggcited =D

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#9 2011-10-02 13:17:53

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sounds great.  Most of the bigger units have the hatcher at the bottom as the chicks tend to drop over the sides of the trays, and are a bit messy and poopy so it doesn't drop on the newer eggs below.   Looking forward to seeing it! :congrats: again!

#10 2011-10-03 00:00:41

Young Heritage

So here it is. I wiped it down with Bleach water and repaired some broken trays today. Any thoughts on improvements or how to setup as a bator and hatcher.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i414/smooney4117/Bator2.jpg
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i414/smooney4117/Bator3.jpg
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i414/smooney4117/Bator4.jpg
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i414/smooney4117/Bator5.jpg
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i414/smooney4117/Bator6.jpg

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#11 2011-10-03 04:41:33

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It looks old but great!  So looks like you can get two 30 egg flats in each of the 6 drawer trays, for 360 contained eggs, or 400 plus rolling arounders! there area  group of us eccentric people who swear by hatching the eggs upright (after various shipped egg experiences) and actually leave the eggs in the plastic egg flats for the hatch too.  That's all I'd do with yours, move them to the bottom the last 3 days. 

Turning them in the narrow trays will be harder.  I wonder if you could take one or 2 trays out add a little to the bottom of your drawer trays to extend them to ramp up to the next drawer level at one side, each "turn" just switch which side is the high side.  If the eggs are in the flats you only need tilt the whole tray (60 eggs at a time) not all 60 separately.  It's kind of the sportsman action only the sporstman trays are in a turner cradle.  You can buy auto turners with a motor for GQF cabinet incubators (Sportsmen) around $200 or more, but you'd have the check the dimensions carefully to install one.  I have no idea what else you could do!  I wouldn't worry about a separate door, but might install a thick all plexi glass one!

:congrats:  I could use one of these! :chook:

#12 2011-10-03 09:58:49

Young Heritage

Thanks for the ideas. I probably could make it where the trays set higher on one side or end but i may have to sacrifice a tray to make room. The trays are very close to each other. Still not a bad option as I do not want to hand turn each egg if it is full or even close to full. I also do not want them just setting free in the trays on their sides. Unfortunately if I had to spend $200 for each auto turner tray I could just buy a sportsman by the time I added 3 auto turner trays. I imagine it is pretty old considering the man that gave it to me is nearly 70 and has raised chickens all his life. He quit raising them in 2002 so he had it a long time before that I am sure. It was a friend of mine who done some work for this gentleman and he asked my friend if he knew anyone who could use it and my friend thought of me :) Hoping one day soon to be able to see what else the guy has to get rid of. I also like the idea of a all plexi door or just a larger viewing window so I cold see all the trays. Again thanks for the ideas and feel free to keep them coming :)

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#13 2011-10-03 12:15:04

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh I'd try and find a metal or plastic tray tray to go in the bottom.  That particle board at the bottom would be hard to clean.  Shame you are not closer, I "found" the aluminum tray in my greenhouse  after I sold my Sportsmen this spring :whistle:

I guess you should check the hatching headroom as well.  Hatching them in the eggs flats makes them a bit taller.  You may need to lose another tray down there just to give better clearance (and so you can see the little boogers hatching) :doI?: but you still have as many or more trays than a sportsman.

#14 2011-10-03 17:00:00

Young Heritage

I am thinking that I will probably drop 2 trays and go down to 4 total. That should clear up enough space to have headroom for the hatching chicks and room to slope the top 2 trays. I also have come up with a way to do this without removing the trays from the bator. =D That still gives me more capacity than I really need and it can be both bator and hatcher. If I ever need to hatch a large batch of eggs I could still do well over 200 at a time. More than I ever plan on hatching at one time. I am only planning on hatching about 400 each year between the 4 or 5 breeds I will eventually have. 150 to 200 of those will be EOs. The remaining 200  or so will be BCMs, Buckeys, and projects. Again thanks for the help and info, It is always welcome.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#15 2011-10-04 02:54:35

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sounds great.  You are totally right!  I think we have it figured! :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer