Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2016-02-25 12:23:21

hollowridge

Collecting Hatching eggs

:jumping: Our 4 weeks are up and we are now collecting our hatching eggs. :excited: We have 14 girls to get from, lets hope they are all laying and our boys have done a good job!
:layer:

2016-02-25 12:23:21

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2016-02-25 18:19:11

gubi
Website

Re: Collecting Hatching eggs

:thumbsup:  Good luck.  We will get to separating my EO's soon too. The kids have silkie and booted bantam eggs in the incubator.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2016-02-26 00:32:28

Flat Rock Farm

That's exciting HR!!! :jumping:

I have eggs to collect for someone for Mar. 9th but after that I am collecting for myself and hoping to set my first eggs Mar. 19th!!  :excited:

#4 2016-02-26 04:07:36

poplar girl
Administrator

Egg citing! I hope every one of your girls is laying and you get a great diversity of chicks! :chook:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2016-02-26 13:06:51

hollowridge

Thanks all for the great :hatch: vibes.  Great start day with 11 collected, yesterday not so hot only 5; but weather was wet and really windy, It blew worse than our Hurricanes that we have had. 
Will let you know how it went when we set! :chairhide:

#6 2016-03-03 02:20:10

Shnookie

:jumping:  :hatch: Good Luck!

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#7 2016-03-03 13:52:15

hollowridge

:thanks:
Have set 58 eggs now on day 1.  Out of 14 girls to collect, 2 went on strike, so all in all not bad numbers, they are laying well.  Our new 1588 genesis, did require some temp. adjustments, so was a bit disappointed in that; as we thought the 100 degree preset would have meant that it would be bang on. :huh:

Hoping now that we have fertile eggs :nervous: .  I think next year we will change the birds 2 months in advance, it seems certain girls were used to their one guys and fought the attention for the new fellow.  Hoping that the guys were up for the task.

#8 2016-03-15 17:50:51

hollowridge

Update
Day 11 Candle:  Out of the 58 eggs that we put in 12 eggs were infertile. Nine eggs from two hens were clear and removed 3 others also.  There are more that we left in till we candle again that are iffy but look like they may have been an early death. :(
Running two incubators and striving for our 13% weight loss.  Day 11 we wanted a 6.82% loss, our 1588 we got a 6.42% and our 2365 we got a 7.02%.  Not bad all in all.
Few things we will do next year will be:
1: separate the roosters and hens earlier.  Just the 4 weeks didn’t seem to be enough time for the girls to get used to their new guys, which is why at least one of the girls was infertile.
2: we loaded our two incubators by each rooster; next year will load by the age of the hen.  Our younger girls just a year their eggs on average have lost more % weight, as compared to our 2 and 3 year vets who are not losing as much weight.  This has made it harder.  Will only separate the eggs from the two roosters when we go into lockdown.  That should make it better for each egg in the weight loss and it doesn’t matter whose eggs they are until lockdown and hatch.

#9 2016-03-16 11:20:04

poplar girl
Administrator

HollowRidge,smoke good observations. I also found it took awhile for the younger roosters to get things with the ladies figured out and I had a high percentage of non fertile eggs the first few weeks even with pairs!

Also a good point on putting eggs of the same size together in the incubator. I have for the most replaced measurements with "just going with it" now that I have a good idea of what works for me but it's absolutley true that eggs of different sizes, and sometimes different breeds, have different she'll porosities so do best at different humidities.

Fingers crossed you have a fabulous hatch of what's left in the incubators!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2016-03-21 20:58:11

Shnookie

Eggs from older hens have larger yolks.  Could that be why you are not seeing the same weight loss as you have with the eggs from the younger hens?

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#11 2016-03-22 00:41:59

Island Girl

So how goes it now hollowridge & gubi & FRF. I need some more hatching/incubating posts to read. :P

XOX Monika

#12 2016-03-22 01:30:22

gubi
Website

just separated my EO's this weekend!  I do have or better said Katrina and Simon have a few PBB chicks and blue and splash silkie chicks in the basement!  I have 14 hens and one rooster in the breeding pen.  I'm debating on adding my #1 cockerel too or removing some hens.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#13 2016-03-22 11:21:24

poplar girl
Administrator

No space for 2 seperate breeding groups Gubi?

I'v sort of last count, I think I'm at about 80. I slowed down on chicks to make room for turkeys but I don't think the turkey eggs are fertile so I'm going back to chicks! Just a few more :chairhide:

#14 2016-03-22 11:34:38

Flat Rock Farm

Monika I set 42 EO and 8 Bantam Chocolate Cuckoo Orpington eggs on Mar. 18th.  One day ahead of my "official" date of Mar. 19th.  I think I did pretty well restraining myself =D

#15 2016-03-22 12:38:46

hollowridge

Shnookie wrote:

Eggs from older hens have larger yolks.  Could that be why you are not seeing the same weight loss as you have with the eggs from the younger hens?

I have to look into that Shnookie, that will be another project for me, thank-you :P

I have been collecting data for the past few years, so will have to take a good look my notes.  I was thinking that the young's shells were more porous then the older girls, but then I have a two year cross girl that is following the same as the young :huh:

I guess it will be time after this hatch to do some experimenting  :whistle:

#16 2016-03-22 12:51:39

hollowridge

Island Girl wrote:

So how goes it now hollowridge & gubi & FRF. I need some more hatching/incubating posts to read. :P

XOX Monika

Did our lockdown Sunday night.
Put 13 eggs from Rico in one incubator which had a loss of 12.65%  was aiming for 11.37% so bumped the humidity up to 45-50 %.  Today will go up a bit more.
Put 30 eggs from LS in the other with a 10.71% loss so left that humidity around 35%, again will bump that up more today.
Out of the 58 start:     12 were infertile
                           2 were day 1 or 2 quitters (I think)
                               1 day 7 quitter 
This morning is Day 20 and I see nothing going on. :chairhide:  Will bump up the humidity.   And watch like a crazy women for some shaking, movement, chirps or hopefully some pips!   :whistle:

#17 2016-03-25 03:48:34

LNSS

Were just starting to collect for a month now , BUT !! the Boss LS of LNSS has gone back to Ontario Palliative care ward for her Mom.
Im doing stuff off the instruction sheets 20+ or more..
The BIRDS don't know me & stuff is not what is written :-)

lnss

#18 2016-03-25 12:42:33

poplar girl
Administrator

LNSS wrote:

Were just starting to collect for a month now , BUT !! the Boss LS of LNSS has gone back to Ontario Palliative care ward for her Mom.
Im doing stuff off the instruction sheets 20+ or more..
The BIRDS don't know me & stuff is not what is written :-)

lnss

When I leave my husband home with that long list of instructions you speak of he has trouble too...you'll figure it out. Last time he and the milk goat had a bit of difficult time. And like you say the birds don't know him and he doesn't know them so it can be rough on everyone! I try to avoid hatching when I'm not home.

#19 2016-03-25 12:43:13

poplar girl
Administrator

Hollowridge what's the verdict? :hatch:

#20 2016-03-26 13:54:05

hollowridge

poplar girl wrote:

Hollowridge what's the verdict? :hatch:

:sick:
Well the verdict is really crappy results.  35% hatch rate, what an epic fail!!
Out of the 43 eggs we got 15 chicks.  14 that hatched in the incubators out of them we had to partially assist 4 of them.  2 days after the first one hatched and no movement in the old bator we decided to take a look.

Well all were dead in the shell.  All were fully formed but some hadn’t gotten turned to break the inner membrane.  Hubby goes well now let’s check the new bator.  I had to take a break before we started, walk off have a good cry and then pick my chin up and walk back and we started.
That bator had different results.  Some were dead in shell but a four were alive but not in position to break the inner membrane.  We tried to break it for them so they could breathe air and put them back in the bator but after a short time they died also.  The inner membrane was sucked in on them so they would have died like the rest.  We also had a few that broke the inner membrane but hit a major blood vessel and bleed to death we believe.

One little one had gotten in position, broke the inner membrane but that was sucked in on it and it could not move any more.  So we were able to hour by hour help it along.  A few blood vessels still running so we had to do a little and keep waiting.  Finally the next morning, Good Friday, we were able to get her to the point of just the bottom shell left that she was able to break free on her own.

Of course our hatch was late and there was 21 people showing for Lunch that day, so she stayed in the bator till all left.  We put her down with the rest and this morning she looks like the rest did at that stage so I would say that “HOPE” will be okay.

So what we figured out that happened was that we had our temperatures were too low.  We were running off of previous hatches and our one thermometer that we used before.  Because we were always getting a few birds hatch early we were thinking that we were running on the high side of the temperature range and have been steadily decreasing our temperatures year after year.  Last year’s hatch rate was 85% but not all were our eggs.  So this year we dropped down lower and then set the new incubator up to what we thought was the right temp.  SO, SO WRONG.  Of course then when we go and really look things up one the computer we see after the fact were we went wrong. 

What has lead us to this conclusion are the following factors.  1:  no pips until day 21, with the exception of 2 that hatched 8 hours prior to the 504th hour.  2:  when opening the shells they hadn’t piped the inner membrane and had all the air sucked out of it, plus some not into position.  3:  an after the fact realization that day 18 lockdown with we did a half a day late, it was really hard to find the low point of the air sac’s and previous years it was really plain to see.  So leads us to believe that they were behind due to the cold incubation temperatures.

Now we have to find a way to calibrate all of our thermometers and maybe do a test hatch on the new incubator and just give those chicks to someone, as for the time being we don’t have the room for two age groups of chicks. 
Any words of wisdom on this whole matter would be greatly appreciated.

#21 2016-03-26 16:35:02

Shnookie

:( Sorry to hear about your hatch.  I got a book called "A Guide to Better Hatching".  It has a lot of good information.  I take a lot of notes when I'm hatching eggs, then open any unhatched eggs so I can try to learn what I did wrong.  My book gives these reasons for poor hatches:
1. Infertile eggs
2. Eggs to cold when set, set eggs within 7 days
3. Improper care of eggs prior to incubation
4. Parent stock diseased or unhealthy
5. Nutritionally deficient diet
6. Shell contamination caused by dirty eggs
7. Temperature too high, too low, or too variable during incubation
8. Too little humidity in the incubator or occasionally too much
9. Improper ventilation/air movement
10. Eggs not turned often enough

The book also has an Incubation Trouble Shooter chart that is really helpful.
For late hatch or hatch lacking in uniformity, it says problems are too low temperature maintained during entire hatch, humidity too high, or old breeders or poor egg storage.

For eggs not pipped, dead in shell, it says problems are temperature too low maintained during incubation or temperature too high after day 18, improper ventilation, inadequate turning or old eggs.

For eggs pipping but not completing hatch, dead in shell, it says problems are not enough moisture - chick unable to reach air cell to pip shell, improper ventilation (increase ventilation in incubator and room, avoid drafts), high temperature or low humidity during hatching (after day 18 temperature needs to be reduced and humidity needs to be increased), inadequate turning days 1-12.

It says you should always use two thermometers so you can check their accuracy.  I hope this helps with your next hatch.  One thing I noticed when reading these kind of charts is you need to pay attention to whether they refer to the hatching process or the incubation process with the explanations.

#22 2016-03-26 18:09:29

hollowridge

:thanks: Shnookie for all the info.  What I read up on was the same thing.  Ours was the low temp through out the entire incubation process.  We did use two thermometers one that came with the incubator and one digital IncuTherm plus, but didn't believe either to be 100% on so we went with our past data and adjusted from there.

I think sometimes in the strive for perfection we over analyse and trip and fall on our face! Well at least we did. :sad:

#23 2016-03-27 03:22:57

poplar girl
Administrator

I'm so sorry Hollowridge :sad: I have been where you are and its heartbreaking. But it sounds like you have a good idea what went wrong which means you can correct it and expect better results next time!

Adverts

Board footer