Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-09-07 01:58:45

Susan
Administrator

Hey Poplar Girl...

Remember way back when, when we met up and I got the Dorkings and also Apricot (among others!) from you? How long ago was that? Well Momma dorking surprised me with ten babies a week ago. She was a sweet Momma. We have been having trouble with a fox. She was killed yesterday. It was very sad. Well Apricot decided to take charge and started clucking to the babies. I didn't think they would accept her. But today when o checked on them, they were all snuggled underneath her. I'm still pretty upset I didn't save Momma from the fox. But that was pretty sweet and thought you should know :)

2015-09-07 01:58:45

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-09-07 11:53:01

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Hey Poplar Girl...

That is such a sad but happy story.  Darn fox!! :stomp:  I know they have to eat........but!!

Was Apricot broody too??  I have never seen a hen that was not broody take on chicks.

#3 2015-09-07 14:08:23

Susan
Administrator

Strangest thing. She really wasn't. But she started following mom and chicks around about four days after they hatched. I've never seen anything like it!

#4 2015-09-07 14:13:03

Flat Rock Farm

Wow amazing!! :thumbsup:

#5 2015-09-08 11:18:10

poplar girl
Administrator

That was a long time ago. I think the dorking mama would have been 4 this year and Apricot I think is 5! As an Easter egger I am surprised by Apricot but I guess in a pinch her instincts kicked in.

You've done very well to keep them alive and well this long Susan! What breed or mix do you think the chicks are?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2015-09-08 13:56:35

Susan
Administrator

There are some five toed babies so dorking times whatever Roo! The others, I have no idea. I didn't even know she had eggs incubating. She was very good at hiding them and around enough that I didn't suspect a thing! And yes, I call Apricot an Ameracauna. But I know she is an EE. I have a lot of mixes right now. I'll have to get pure birds to mix with the pure that I have when I do start breeding again!

Adverts

Board footer