Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-07-07 02:26:56

Island Girl

The beginning of the great divide ...

I spent a fair bit of time in the coop today hanging with the cockerels. I want to choose a keeper if possible from my 28 boys. My coops are set up in such a way that I am able to keep the potentials separate from the boys who go to freezer camp. I decided to start with the obvious. Anyone with yellow legs went into one coop and anyone with crooked toes went into the other coop. About 5 boys had crooked toes ... not good! A few other boys had legs which I believe will stay white, in with the crooked toes they went ( I will continue to monitor their legs in case they miraculously turn yellow). A couple of other boys with combs that were really butt ugly with too many points or major sprigs. Hmmm not as many side sprigs as previous years ... this is good! So I ended up with 14 in each coop. I will continue thinning out the good candidates. I really want to concentrate on feather color next. I always keep size in mind when I am doing this and I can get over a dorky comb if any candidates are obviously bigger but I won't overlook leg color or crooked toes. Now I will refresh my brain to what we are looking for in the standard. We want tight barring and not too light a color but not too dark either and no grey? I think I will cruise around here for good pictures. Please add any if you like.

XOX Monika

2015-07-07 02:26:56

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-07-07 02:53:50

Maggiesdad

Re: The beginning of the great divide ...

How many weeks are your boys? 

As they approach 24wks another culling point is the pelvic spread. Two fingers is better than one. Even tho he doesn't lay, good pelvic structure will pass to his daughters.  Also look for good width in his stance. No knock knees, a fist clearance is good. And not too long in the leg bones and shanks. Too long will come out in a funny gait. :excited:

#3 2015-07-07 04:37:20

Island Girl

Hi MD These little guys are 12 - 16 weeks old. The leg color has finally been changing to more of a yellow color, at first I thought I had nothing but white legs. I set 6 dozen eggs over the past few days and hope to have at least 3 good cockerels by fall. You have really good points to look for and I really like the knock kneed hint. Is the fist measurement right between the inside of the knees? I did notice a knock kneed fellow today and had planned to ask about that :thumbsup: I also want to add for others here to check for that crooked breastbone as well.

XOX Monika

#4 2015-07-07 12:13:22

hollowridge

Good luck with picking out the right roo :thumbs:
Our luck doesn't seem to be the best.  Last years winner wound up to be a dinner after he went at me on several occasions for no reason.  This year I chose one at 17 weeks culled the rest.  We don't have room to grow out, and only have room for two roosters, he is now 20 weeks and he is starting with the dancing and charging at me, only thing is when he does it he is so fast that I can't get a hold of him, :stomp: I have the worst luck with picking out roosters :duh:

Our other guy has white legs and lots of grey on him, other then those two faults he is perfect.  Big, kind, good with the girls, fertile and seems to throwing the yellow leg gene as his pullets that he gave us this year have mostly yellow legs.  So if this little s--t, as I now call him doesn't come around we will just have a bigger bird for :eat:.

#5 2015-07-07 12:14:16

gubi
Website

For me when you hatch a large group you can start culling easily early on with toes, leg color, feather color.  IMO a white legged cockerel that is superior to a yellow legged cockerel is better to keep then one with excess grey.  My 2 early roosters were white legged and the last 2 years all of the chicks had yellow legs.  This is 2 and 3 years away from the white legged rooster.  I always kept only pullets with yellow legs after the first year, I am however still seeing tons of grey chests no doubt from the fact that my first crop of pullets were all curly daughters, Curly was grey!  I process the majority of my cockerels at around 2-3 months of age.  EO's are supposed to reach 2kg  by 13 weeks of age, so keep that in mind when culling too, they are bred for meat and eggs so to me adult size is secondary to size at butchering time!  I try to keep the best 4-5 over winter to choose from in the Spring.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2015-07-07 16:41:50

Island Girl

Thanks hollowridge I too have the worst luck when it comes to roosters, I dream of the day when I will have one that has bright yellow legs and is built like a brick poophouse :P AND is friendly!!!  But I refuse to give up   :shock:

gubi, these tidbits of info are the things that I love to read more than anything else! I wish I could keep 4-5 roosters over the winter but thats just not an option for me. I am definitely in this for the meat too so butchering size is very important to me. I didn't actually know that they should reach that size at 13 weeks, if I read it before it did not register properly! I will be out there today weighing the boys who are in the freezer camp group. Do you achieve these weights? How about the rest of you :eat: what is the best weight you have achieved for your 13 week old cockerels? I have been keeping them up until crowing age to get them as big as possible before the neighbors 'notice' all the roosters :P I wonder how much weight/size they actually achieve from 13 weeks to 20ish weeks? I think I will be out there today scanning ever so carefully for grey boys and knock knees!!

XOX Monika

#7 2015-07-07 19:00:51

gubi
Website

Monika I don't weigh them :chairhide: but I do pick the cockerels I would most like to eat back.  I keep about a dozen roosters in a 4' by 6' pen over winter.     I had kept back one rooster last year that was so wide that his wings would not sit properly on his side but were rather held up more above his body.  He did have a lot of grey on him too so I didn't use him for breeding.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2015-07-08 00:24:37

poplar girl
Administrator

Some good discussion going on here! There are so many traits to watch and select for and although I know some are more important than others you still need to be careful not to ignore the rest or you can quickly end up with that bad trait in your whole flock :shock:

I agree with Gubi that white legs are easier to fix than some other traits. I cull against greenish or bluish legs but white legs vs yellow legs are a simple dominant vs recessive trait so easy to select for. The grey feather color is much harder to correct.

One of the issues I am seeing this year is strange wing feathers. Not sure if it is split wing or accordian wing or  droopy wings not held tight to the body or just the feathers growing in and will be fine but I will be checking wing feathers on all.

Less critical but some other things I look for are black pigment on the beak and feather stubs.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2015-07-08 02:57:12

Shnookie

I don't have a lot of EOs, but I have noticed that the coloring has changed on them over time.  The 2 year old hen got lighter and shows more lines in her feathers.  The 2 year old roo developed white and green in his tail feathers.  The 1 year old roo got some grey on his chest.  Does everyone have this in their EOs?

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#10 2015-07-08 10:48:49

hollowridge

Fight with black in the chest, and will for awhile I figure, :duh: as that is all that is around here really.  The roosters this year, from our own eggs and Riverbend, produced some strange colours, got some roo's with lots of the redish rust colour on them and then some that were like almost a splash mix of colour all over.  Others had really nasty side sprigs, no crooked toes thank goodness.

Didn't notice any feather stubs either but I did find it on two of the pullets :stomp: and of course they are the right colours and have yellow legs :duh:.  Have one girls showing side sprigs.  So as it looks for our hatch this year (only do one) we have 3 good looking girls so far (will keep watch for side sprigs and feather stubs).  And one fellow that made the cut, but he is starting to gain a bit more grey on his chest.  But still better than our other Rooster.  Now if I can get that attitude under control :chairhide:.

#11 2015-07-08 11:12:17

Flat Rock Farm

Shnookie wrote:

I don't have a lot of EOs, but I have noticed that the coloring has changed on them over time.  The 2 year old hen got lighter and shows more lines in her feathers.  The 2 year old roo developed white and green in his tail feathers.  The 1 year old roo got some grey on his chest.  Does everyone have this in their EOs?

They can be little camellias.  Had a few hens in the past that looked very good feather colour, then go through a molt and then feathered out millie (speckled).  I find sometimes as the rooster matures some will get the white sickle feathers.

#12 2015-07-08 16:16:51

Island Girl

Hollowridge I am going to start a new thread so that I don't highjack my own thread  :funny: about roosters and attitudes, I think it is worthy of addressing again as many of us are in the 'picking a roo or two' process. I actually love the conversation here and don't care what it morphs into, but with my memory these days it works better for me. :happycrowd"

XOX Monika

#13 2015-07-08 17:55:37

gubi
Website

yes they definitely change colour as they mature.  The older they get the more grey they get and the roosters will get more white in their tails. Also if there is any hint of millie in the hens they will get more white every year.

#14 2015-07-09 01:22:01

debbiej

I had a hen that had white speckles all over especially on  her head after a molt last year.   Freaky

#15 2015-07-09 02:08:17

Maggiesdad

debbiej wrote:

I had a hen that had white speckles all over especially on  her head after a molt last year.   Freaky

Head & Shoulders or Neutrogena T-Gel will fix that...

#16 2015-07-12 22:25:25

aarzuaga

This is very interesting. My wife and I finally bought a little piece of land. We are now in the works to see what/when/where to build on it. Of course, having in mind the homestead we are trying to do.. All this to say, make sure you folks get your genetics straight because I will be looking to keep more EO and contribute to the great work you guys are doing. Gora Euskal Herria :ikurrina:  :EO:

#17 2015-07-13 11:22:40

poplar girl
Administrator

aarzuaga wrote:

This is very interesting. My wife and I finally bought a little piece of land. We are now in the works to see what/when/where to build on it. Of course, having in mind the homestead we are trying to do.. All this to say, make sure you folks get your genetics straight because I will be looking to keep more EO and contribute to the great work you guys are doing. Gora Euskal Herria :ikurrina:  :EO:

That's exciting news :jumping: Soon you can also be keeping a larger breeding flock of EOs!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer