Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-06-25 05:01:01

Island Girl

More MG blood testing next week

Debbie and I are about to do another set of blood samples. Next week we will be testing our EO  pullets and cockerels for Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. We have tested only one of the chicks so far (named Chin-warmer) because he was the only one old enough to test when we were in the process of  submitting samples from my main flock. He did come back negative and he will be tested again this time as well as one chick from each batch of chicks that was hatched. This is the big test that we have been working towards since last fall. Lots of tears, frustration, testing, culling and learning these past 10 months. We have adjusted our plan here and there but have stayed very focused on bio-security and our ultimate goal of obtaining an MG free flock. Both of us have covered our entire runs and Debbie has had her entire outside runs rebuilt.  We have cleaned and taken turns leaving our coops  empty and even taken turns moving the entire flock of pullets and cockerels from one farm to another to ensure we both could properly clean etc, We are well aware that the new flock may have MG which may have been transmitted vertically through the hatching eggs but are committed in following this through. We have done everything within our power and budgets and hearts to ensure the best outcome and are hoping for the best  ... Wish us luck next week and of course we will keep you posted as our results come in.

XOX Monika

2015-06-25 05:01:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-06-25 11:15:32

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: More MG blood testing next week

Monika, what percent chance is there of the MG being transmitted through the egg to the chicks?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2015-06-25 11:34:27

hollowridge

Wishing you the best of luck and no MG!!

#4 2015-06-25 15:47:25

Island Girl

Thanks hollowridge I appreciate the words of encouragement ... sometimes when I am down about the whole thing I come to the forums and read the posts and it helps me knowing that chicken friends are hoping and wishing for the best along side us.

pg, I am sure the avian pathologist gave me a % but I can not recall it at all. I do remember her saying that it is a very low percentage and if I recall correctly she also said that a hen has to be in an active state of MG for it to be transferred. When I really start freaking out about the MG, Debbie brings me back to sanity by reminding me that an active MG hen is not feeling well, remembering that stress makes MG raise its ugly face again .. given this the active hen is probably not even laying eggs. So highly likely that there are not even eggs that could transfer it! BUT then there is my vets opinion and it is very valid, it only takes one and you have started the whole cycle again. It can be an awful cycle to break and then an equally awful disease to keep away once you have it in check. I think that is why a lot of people think its a pipe dream to not have MG in the backyard flock, I have been told its a 'lofty' goal! I think that is why some people just cull, completely clean/disinfect, wait the allotted time and then start over with new 'hopefully' MG free stock. I definitely did it the hard way but I really wanted to use my own stock. Considering that my cockerels have given me far too many white legs and ugly combs I think it might have been easier to do it the other way :wise:

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2015-06-25 15:48:46)

#5 2015-06-25 15:51:09

Island Girl

pg I have this post on ACE and would love for you to ask that question there please. I would like to copy and paste my answer as I think it is a great question and should be in the MG discussion. :happycrowd"

XOX Monika

#6 2015-06-25 19:37:04

Flat Rock Farm

Fingers XX and wishing good luck vibes to you =D

Adverts

Board footer