Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-06-17 16:51:33

Island Girl

Who has eggs for sale?

I believe I need to hatch out some more eggs. I am not happy with the boys that I have hatched out this year and I do not have a breeding rooster soooo  ...  I would love to buy a couple dozen eggs from anyone who would be kind enough to send me some. I really need to get some better leg color and darker feathering into my flock. Gubi? Elevator's mama, is that you M&K? Paula are you selling this year? Susan? Feeling a little desperate after a long look at those boys yesterday. I will have to post some pictures for you and start getting some opinions.

XOX Monika

2015-06-17 16:51:33

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-06-17 18:10:05

gubi
Website

Re: Who has eggs for sale?

My EO's are in the general flock right now.  I have 8 breeding EO hens 2-4 year old, 1 club foot EO, 1 BLRW, 1 Blue Orpington, some silkies and possibly EE hens that lay Brown eggs all in with my 2014 EO rooster.  I would recommend Paula or Micah.  I know Micah sells her on the CMC hatching egg auction site from time to time.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/696427137112003/  She has done a lot of work growing out lots of EO's from hers and different flocks last year and had Lisa and Helen help her select the best to breed.  Her breeding flock is the cover photo of the NABHA facebook site.  She's best contacted through facebook.  Paula picked the best 4 pullets of all of my pullets last year and could probably get you a good number of eggs fairly quickly as she has at least 2 breeding groups of EO's.  I'm sure Paula will see this and can tell you lots more about her great flock herself.

Remember a yellow legged pullet is worth more then a cockerel.  The pullet will breed the yellow on as the cockerel might be heterozygus and still pass on white legs

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2015-06-18 13:19:40

poplar girl
Administrator

If Paula is still selling eggs I have some pretty good looking cockerels hatched from hers this year. Some greenish legs, a few white legs, and some grey in the feathers of some but some nice cockerels mixed in there for sure. She had two breeding groups and I like the results of one more than the other. Talk to her!

gubi wrote:

Remember a yellow legged pullet is worth more then a cockerel.  The pullet will breed the yellow on as the cockerel might be heterozygus and still pass on white legs

Gubi, the males will hide the green legs (they turn a nice bright yellow) because of the barring. You can see the greenish ting only early on in the males while it's more obvious on the females for longer because of this. The white legs both pullets and cockerels can be heterozygous for. The yellow can "hide" behind the white because it is recessive on both. I try to keep cockerels with nice bright yellow legs only (I check for the green while they are young) as if the male has yellow legs even if the chicks have white legs I know they carry the yellow.

Here is a picture of my favorite cockerel from eggs through Paula. Cockerel from Micah and pullets or hens from various sources including Stefan!
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/83B0C93D-E133-4475-A28C-D5AA6426DC8F.jpg

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2015-06-18 14:13:41

gubi
Website

A good start on that cockerel for sure!

PG I was under the impression that the white/yellow is a sex linked gene and as such the rooster carry two genes an can be white legged but still carry one copy of the yellow gene but the pullets only carry one gene and because of that they are either Yellow or White.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2015-06-18 17:42:32

poplar girl
Administrator

gubi wrote:

A good start on that cockerel for sure!

PG I was under the impression that the white/yellow is a sex linked gene and as such the rooster carry two genes an can be white legged but still carry one copy of the yellow gene but the pullets only carry one gene and because of that they are either Yellow or White.

I don't believe so Gubi. Read posts 15 thru 23: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=663

There are probably more links to discussions on shank color, I just need to find them!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2015-06-18 17:49:41

poplar girl
Administrator

Also read posts 12 and 13:
http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=110

I am such a genetics geek :P

Adverts

Board footer