Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-04-09 02:16:23

Lisa

Flatrock's astonishing hen.....

Hi Everybody!

Pull up a chair for a minute - I have a story to tell you. :surfing:

Yesterday, I was lucky enough to visit Flatrock Farm. Two gorgeous hens were selected for me to match up with the handsome young roo I will be getting from Micah and Kiah this weekend. They were specially selected to be good breeders with nice colour to get me started back into the Red Cuckoo variety after focusing on Gorrias for the last few years. I handled the two girls, and thought to myself "these are nice looking EOs".

We put them in the car, said goodbye, and brought them home. They were a little chatty on the way home. We put together a large dog crate in the garage last night, and added food and water. We put the girls in the crate, and it took them about 10 seconds to figure out how to use the pop-bottle waterer. This should have been my first clue.

I promised the girls better digs in the morning if they could tough it out for one night. They had come from the Chicken Palace at Flatrock Farm, and thought the accommodations were pretty rustic. But they were good sports and said they could manage. When I put the travelling crate away, I found the egg that one of them laid on the way home - bless her heart!

Well, today we had freezing rain. It was horrible out, and I hid all day. I checked on the girls when I went out to the garage to tend the seramas. Filled up the food, refilled the water. Chatted with them a bit, explained the weather situation. I thought everything was sorted out.

DH went to the back hall on his way outside this evening. Instead of heading out the door, I heard him pause briefly, and then say "We have a problem" as he came back in the house - carrying a chicken. "I heard somebody calling in the garage and thought that it sounded awfully close to the door. I opened it, and there was this hen". He handed me the hen, and went on his way.

I laughed, took the hen back to the garage, and put her back in the dog crate with her sister. Apologized again for breaking my promise, and crossed my heart that I would sort it out tomorrow. Made sure the dog crate was carefully closed, since I clearly hadn't done it properly before. It is one of those wire crates with the heavy door that swings down from the top and is held in place by gravity if you make sure to slip it into the right spot. I stepped into the serama room to check on the teeny birds one last time before lights-out.

Now about this dog crate - it has history. It was purchased for my mother's bichon - who took about 12 months to figure out how to get out of it. It was also used for both of my chihuahua mixes, who never figured out how to get it open. When I left the serama room, it was to see the hen from Flatrock Farm exiting the crate for the second time. The first time it took her less than 24 hours - the second time, less than 60 seconds. 

Laughing so much I could hardly walk, I took the hen back into the house. DH was outside and I needed help to figure this out. I didn't want her banging her head against the door trying to get it open all night if I zip-tied it shut, so I clearly needed a new plan. The hen proceeded to walk around the house - much to the consternation of the most recent chihuahua-mix dog and the cat. She looked at them with an "I could take you" look in her eye, and sailed right past.

DH returned - with the labrador. The old chocolate came in the door and lay down on her bed. The hen walked past her to see if DH had brought her anything interesting. Didn't even BOTHER to look at the lab - EVERYBODY can take her. DH went outside to get a show cage to see if having her OWN rustic digs would be more to the hen's liking.

The hen sailed into the tv room - which is currently populated with a large cage containing a white serama trio who have just finished their quarantine. This caused the cockerel to immediately drop his wing and whip out his best pickup lines. Did I mention that she is really pretty? She was totally unimpressed by him - maybe to a chicken, size DOES matter... She must be waiting for a fella who is more her type - hopefully the new EO cockerel will meet her standards.....

Turned her back on him and waltzed back into the kitchen - where she kicked over the chihuahua's water dish and helped herself to the kibble.

I picked her up again, took her back to the garage, and put her in her own show crate next to her sister. She immediately checked out the new food dish, had a few bites to get the nasty taste of dog kibble out of her mouth, and had a sip of water. Then deliberately stuck her head between two bars and carefully pushed up to try and get the door to open. I am a coward - I gave up. I quickly ran to the door and turned off the light, hoping she would become disoriented in the dark and go to sleep. I'm a bit afraid of what I will find in the morning......

Outsmarted by a chicken. Again. =D

Last edited by Lisa (2015-04-09 02:24:46)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2015-04-09 02:16:23

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-04-09 02:39:33

Helliefant

Re: Flatrock's astonishing hen.....

:funny:
This is why we love these birds. Never a dull moment.

#3 2015-04-09 11:09:11

Flat Rock Farm

OMG Lisa that is hilarious :funny:.  I can see why she was not fazed by the dogs, mine are used to our dog even though she wants to kill and eat my chickens so bad.  The EO's just have to hear the back screen door slam and whoever's turn it is to have a day of free ranging in the outside pen come peeling out of that barn to see what I have if anything.  Or they are just to nosy for their own good.

Well at least I did not send you home with one of my jumpers, she fly's herself right at me into my arms, or my head if I don't catch her first.

I hope she is her crate this morning, naughty girlie!!  =D

Got to love EO's!!!  :EO:

#4 2015-04-09 12:13:15

hollowridge

:thanks: I loved that story, great chuckle to start my day.  Love not only that the hen wasn't put out by the other animals, but that DH took it with out so much as a blink of an eye!:thumbs:

#5 2015-04-09 13:25:45

Lisa

HR,

DH says thanks for the props - but says it really wasn't necessary. "She's really cute. I like smart chickens."

This will likely come back to haunt us......

:duh:

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#6 2015-04-09 13:57:32

Lisa

DH posted a video to Youtube regarding our recent visitor.

Here is the link - meet Flatrock's amazing hen.

I think this girl needs an appropriate name!! =D

https://youtu.be/tB_3PG9bpJg

#7 2015-04-09 23:15:14

Flat Rock Farm

:funny: Love the video!!!

Actually she is the one I caught first and I had put her in that zippered laundry tote that you saw when you picked them up.  I had put her in first then went back to the barn to get the other one and she had flung herself on the side of it to get it to move.  When I came back with the second hen she was making the hole thing roll along the driveway with her in it, she looked like a hamster on one of those wheels!! :funny:

Enjoy her, she really is special!!

#8 2015-04-09 23:53:27

gubi
Website

ready for the circus!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2015-04-10 01:08:56

Lisa

Good grief, that girl is a physicist!!! :shock:

Well, I kept my promise - she and her sister are now inhabiting the small side of the large camper - otherwise known at my place as "The Love Shack". Her new fella will be arriving on Sunday - hopefully she is more impressed with him than with the serama roo.

Her little foray around the house clearly did not cause her any stress - she laid a beautiful egg this morning before heading out to her new digs.

Maybe she is just claustrophobic???? 

I sorta like that answer better than "brilliant, with a clear understanding of physics and a superior skill with escape tactics".

#10 2015-04-10 11:27:24

Flat Rock Farm

I think you are right, she does not like to been cooped up and may be claustrophobic.  Now that I think of it I think she is the one that as soon as would come into the barn would be the one pressed up against the door to be the first one out.  I will take note this morning as it's her pen's turn for an outside day.

#11 2015-04-10 12:20:52

poplar girl
Administrator

Am I the only one who thinks a chicken that smart is a bit scary :shock:

Being an EO she will most likely use her superior intellect and abilities only for good though, right?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2015-04-10 12:37:26

gubi
Website

I still have all my chickens inside.  I finally recovered my fence from underneath the snowdrift but now we have AI shown up in a Turkey barn in Woodstock which is about an hour from here.  Are you guys still planing on going to Mount Forest?  I'm not sure if we still will go.  It would depend if they find more AI or if they can contain it.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#13 2015-04-10 18:54:21

Flat Rock Farm

Not sure if Mount Forest is closed yet, I think there are rumblings that it will be.   I think it may be wise to cancel it, that's just my opinion :huh:

#14 2015-04-11 16:14:02

Shnookie

:funny:  What an excellent story!  I can't wait to hear more about this hen.

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#15 2015-04-11 22:43:55

Flat Rock Farm

I think her name should be Hendini re: Houdini :funny:

#16 2015-04-12 01:36:29

Lisa

PG,

I am with you - the idea of a chicken that smart openly scares me! But I figure her worst antics will likely be going into other coops, or knocking on the door to come in for breakfast, so it will probably work out!

Two beautiful eggs today Flatrock - not sure what you feed your birds, but they clearly thrive on it! Carefully collecting for hatching, since they were fertilized at your place. Spreads the genetics around. =D

#17 2015-04-12 11:46:20

Flat Rock Farm

Well right now all my EO's are laying machines, I have eggs coming out the wazoo :shock:

I just feed them a mix of layer crumb, scratch grain and I go to the grocery store to the reduced produce and buy fruit and veggies for them.  Plus any left over kitchen scraps, they love pasta!!!  Throught the winter to bump up their protein I feed them some dry cat food.  That's probably why she ate the dog food!!!  :funny:

Well I hope you can collect as many eggs as they will give you to :chickout: :thumbsup:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2015-04-12 11:47:24)

Adverts

Board footer