Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-04-05 02:43:05

Island Girl

My very sad story ....

So as if I didn't have enough of a challenge with the MG I have been managing :banginghead: you won't believe what happened to my rooster ....

So as some of you know my rooster had tested positive for MG, I have been working with my vet along with an avian pathologist at the Animal Health Center in Abbotsford, BC in regards to a breeding procedure to help me with ... as some poultry people have told me .. is a lofty goal of an MG free flock. I have been dealing with treating birds to control any clinical signs and culling what I needed to. This particular rooster had SOP written all over him. To me he alone was worth the efforts I was about to embark on.

I had been breeding him to 11 chosen chosen girls by rotating these hens in and out of his bachelor pad on a 48 hr basis. I recorded who he mated, who was laying and so on! After he had mated each girl on at least three different rotations on a 3 mth schedule I decided to put him in with all of the breeding girls to breed at his leisure. Seemed like a good idea at the time :sad: soooooo I went into his coop and picked him up and carried him over to the breeding girls' coop and set him down in the outside run. He fluffed his feathers with indignation and stomped a bit and then ran gleefully into the waiting flock of ladies. There was a bit of squawking and some hens ran away, he headed into the coop ... I heard a little ruckus and thought to myself " he is not wasting any time!" I decided I had better go collect any new eggs that might have been laid so they didn't get knocked around. I went into my coop and there he lay ..  dead! Very just dead! Seriously he was in my arms not a moment ago! I carried him to the front door and hubby stood there staring and sputtered. He asked if I tried CPR  ... so I did ... 1001, 1002 1003 1004 puff puff  :Crazy:  yup still dead. You could have knocked me over with a feather. I think I was in shock the whole day. I sent him away to the lab the very next morning and within a few days spoke with the Avian Patogologist and told her the whole story. She commented on how beautiful and healthy he was (other than the fact that he was dead :shock: ) but she said that she was glad I told her the whole story because she said as soon as she looked at him she thought it was asphyxiation. She said she checked his entire throat but could not find anything. She had assumed she would find a grain of something but did not and now thought that I may actually have dislodged it.  It was just the preliminary postmortem, and she will be checking his lungs yet . She said she truly believes it was just a freak accident and that he probably was overexcited about being in with all his girls and probably tried to give them something and choked to death on it. :stomp: So for you boys out there ... sex can kill you!!

Now I am very carefully collecting eggs from those 11 girls and incubating every one of them. I wanted 100 chicks this year and it will be interesting to see what I end up with. 17 chicks so far, 19 on lock down, 26 soon to be on lock down, 37 just put into the Sportsman and collecting daily. Then they get to grow up for 8 weeks and the blood testing starts.

Thanks for listening to my drama :group talking: and again a few virtual hugs my way would mean a lot to me.

BTW EOs are still my favorite!!

XOX Monika

2015-04-05 02:43:05

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-04-05 03:45:15

LNSS

Re: My very sad story ....

Many girls do want too much . BTDT . (still alive + )
Your poor Rooster , sad to hear. Small steps .. Not an escalator .

Meaning , I though you were to ease them together , the rush could off set of the girls & smothered him !
Edited twice  ~

Spoke to a few breeders of birds (it's there living) rooster was put into a scary environment & freaked , that this was not his norm Or was over whelmed , common ..

So I do stand by my first posting , too many girls ..

Last edited by LNSS (2015-04-06 06:30:09)

#3 2015-04-05 12:48:29

hollowridge

:sad:
Oh you have one battle after another.  Our heart hurts for you with your loss.  We have one of the kindest roo's, not s.o.p. standard, but we would be at a loss to loose him.  I hope you are able to get your chicks and get positive results back.  :nervous: Good luck and keep us updated on how things are going.  Wish we could help, but on the other side of the country.

#4 2015-04-05 14:06:01

gubi
Website

sometimes it seems that as soon as one lifts his/her head a bit again someone clobbers you over the head again!  I once had my favorite cow die right in my arms, I figured she wasn't getting any air but didn't know what I could do about it.  Upon autopsy the vet told me that she chocked on a piece of her own lung.  She must have had some sub clinical fibrous pneumonia and a piece of her lung broke loose!   

Hopefully all eggs will hatch for you and you will get many suitable MG free replacement cockerels and pullets.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2015-04-05 14:09:35

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:happycrowd" very sad news indeed.  I hope on of his sons will grow to be just as handsome as his dad

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#6 2015-04-05 15:01:24

poplar girl
Administrator

That's terrible Monika :shock: your poor roo! I hope you are able to hatch those 100 chicks you are trying for and have many many offspring to choose a replacement from!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2015-04-05 15:02:29

Flat Rock Farm

Oh Monika you poor dear a BIG :hug: to you!!!

Of all the things for him to pass of!!!  What a shock and for it to be your best boy :sad:

I would be doing the same, collecting and hatching as many as you can from him.  May he live on in his offspring :chickout:

#8 2015-04-06 15:35:24

Shnookie

How awful!  Too bad.  Good luck with your new chicks.

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

Adverts

Board footer