Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-03-31 01:44:37

poplar girl
Administrator

So very pleased to announce NABHA!

After many months of preparation it is with great pleasure that we invite all EO enthusiasts to visit the newly launched North American Basque Hen Association (NABHA) website!

http://nabha.weebly.com :EO:

The website outlines the purpose of NABHA, our board members, has an updated version of the Standard of Perfection, a history of EOs in North America, a photo gallery and more so please visit! Expect to see more photos and informative articles and links over the next few weeks.

There is also a form for those interested in becoming a member to fill out and we're really hoping many of the Euskal oiloa Chicken Forum folks will join the new Association and help us decide how to make NABHA of the most value! Once we get things fully organized, members will have access to a Breeder's List, receive email notifications of events of interest to EO owners, and have the opportunity to learn more about the Basque breed through articles and other information sharing venues.

We are very much interested in hearing everyone's ideas or questions so please visit the webpage and share your thoughts!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2015-03-31 01:44:37

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-03-31 11:12:18

Flat Rock Farm

Re: So very pleased to announce NABHA!

:jumping: :cheer: :jumping: :cheer:  :EO:

#3 2015-03-31 12:33:55

gubi
Website

:thumbs:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2015-03-31 22:56:32

Island Girl

Pretty cool guys! I have sent my membership in. :wine:

XOX Monika

#5 2015-04-01 01:23:18

poplar girl
Administrator

:jumping:

Island Girl wrote:

Pretty cool guys! I have sent my membership in. :wine:

XOX Monika

Wonderful Monika, great to have you join us!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2015-04-01 01:26:39

Flat Rock Farm

X 2 :happycrowd"

#7 2015-04-02 01:18:17

Maggiesdad

:jumping:

#8 2015-04-06 20:47:34

Helliefant

The NABHA Website is now able to accept PayPal!!! Please take a look at the first article under blogs and links..its a good read.
If you have any questions or comments, try the board member page! If you click on a name you can email that person. Either that or click on the envelope in the top right hand corner.

#9 2015-04-07 10:58:11

poplar girl
Administrator

I see a new article has been posted on the Blogs and Links page on "Why we started NABHA"as well.

What does everyone think of the concept of NABHA so far?

#10 2015-04-07 17:47:31

Island Girl

I am liking it! :jumping:

I have a couple questions though. As it is a requirement to belong to the APA to have the EOs recognized in the SOP, could we have a direct link to them to do so as well as a support area for anyone running into issues with this? I have not gone down this road yet and it seems as though it is time. The other question is the naming of the Marraduna. Where did the term Red Cuckoo come from and why? I find it confusing when more than one term or name is used to describe a bird. OK I guess I have another question about the mission statement too. How many representatives from the province of BC are involved in your effort of putting together your association? I think I am feeling left out :shock: I do not know where all the board members live but if this is going to be a collaborative effort, contacts in each province may be helpful, even if its just a name and email to help direct people to information. Just a few thoughts of mine ... none are meant to offend as I am thrilled that this is going ahead and that you guys are doing such a professional job!!

XOX Monika

#11 2015-04-07 23:45:37

Helliefant

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I think a link to the APA is a good idea...I believe it was talked about but not done.
Please don't feel left out...:happycrowd"
I can't remebmer how it happened...
One of the benefits of being a member will be lists of breeders, with numbers/email addresses etc sent to you. The particulars are being worked out. I'm not offended by anything you wrote....it was very positive and I hope you'll send more feedback as we get the website running better.
Oh, and we have another article posted!!
:surfing:

#12 2015-04-08 02:04:45

poplar girl
Administrator

Excellent feedback Monika :thanks:

I can answer your question about how the people who organized NABHA were chosen. It all started with this thread: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1810 From there I contacted each person who posted on the thread and invited them to join us in a conference call. Some accepted, some declined. After over a year of organizing ourselves the results are what you have seen so far.

There was certainly never an intent to exclude anyone but we also knew we needed to start somewhere and so here it is, ready for members to join and become engaged!  Our AGM will be before the end of June so that will be the very latest we will plan for our first members meeting. It will be wonderful to have more people involved and helping move things forward!

#13 2015-04-08 13:33:12

gubi
Website

Island Girl wrote:

I am liking it! :jumping:

I have a couple questions though. As it is a requirement to belong to the APA to have the EOs recognized in the SOP, could we have a direct link to them to do so as well as a support area for anyone running into issues with this? I have not gone down this road yet and it seems as though it is time. The other question is the naming of the Marraduna. Where did the term Red Cuckoo come from and why? I find it confusing when more than one term or name is used to describe a bird. OK I guess I have another question about the mission statement too. How many representatives from the province of BC are involved in your effort of putting together your association? I think I am feeling left out :shock: I do not know where all the board members live but if this is going to be a collaborative effort, contacts in each province may be helpful, even if its just a name and email to help direct people to information. Just a few thoughts of mine ... none are meant to offend as I am thrilled that this is going ahead and that you guys are doing such a professional job!!

XOX Monika

Monika to answer a few of your questions, Our website is still a work in progress and not all the links have been added yet.  APA will be one as well as a link to all the EO discussions on the poultry forums to name a few.  As for the naming of the marraduna(Spanish) Red Cuckoo(english), we did that to make it easier for people unfamiliar to the breed to understand Basques.  Right now most of us on the board Lisa, Helliefant, Micah and Kiah, Flatrockfarms and my self are from south western Ontario.  Poplar girl is from Alberta and Maggiesdad is from Virginia.  regional representatives as a %ige of the board from each region is something we haven't discussed yet but sounds like a good idea to me.  As for the past year we didn't have the luxury of doing that as it was so few of us working on the project that we needed everyone on the board to get this of the ground.  Thanks for your input and your nice comments!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#14 2015-04-08 21:48:20

Lisa

Hey Monika!

So glad to have you joining us!!

As Gubi said, using the names "Red Cuckoo Basque" as the North American name for Marraduna and "Red Basque" as the North American name for Gorria were to make them easier to understand for most poultry folks in our part of the world. To get the most accurate descriptors, we consulted an APA judge for the closest APA-style name to describe our beloved birds. The descriptor "Cuckoo" refers to the barring pattern on the Marraduna, and Red is for the colour.

Cuckoo plumage refers to a barred pattern that has irregular light and dark bars that are nearly equal in width and extend throughout the length of the feathers. Seemed like the closest descriptor. 

Lisa

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#15 2015-04-22 02:31:52

poplar girl
Administrator

I see there is a new article up in the Blog area of the NABHA website that I missed seeing until today for those interested in some reading
http://nabha.weebly.com/blog-and-links

#16 2015-05-25 11:21:26

poplar girl
Administrator

For anyone who is considering becoming a member but has not done so yet, June 14th has been set as the date of our 2015 Annual General Meeting. If you would like the opportunity to learn more about NABHA as well as have a say in association activities buy a membership and plan to participate in the meeting!

Because members are scattered across two countries :US: :Canada:, meeting participants will join by conference call as well as screen share from their computer during the AGM so everyone will be able to attend! An agenda for the meeting and instructions on participating will be sent out to members in a week or so.

#17 2015-05-25 12:36:09

gubi
Website

for those of us on facebook NABHA now has a facebook site https://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Am … 819?ref=hl

Adverts

Board footer