Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2015-01-23 21:08:26

hollowridge

Collecting Eggs

Collecting eggs now and getting some from Riverbend.  We are timing our hatch with the Almanac's best moon phase for the healthiest chicks; as we only do one hatch :huh: . Worth a shot! 

Also going to try and achieve the 12-13% weight loss for the humidity.  I think a few of you go that root also (popular girl)?  Not sure when the best days are to try and weigh the eggs so I can adjust the humidity.  I was thinking of doing day 3, then also when candling on days 7-8, 14 and 18 to weigh them.  Anyone want to chime in on this?  Do I need to do more?
:thanks:

2015-01-23 21:08:26

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2015-01-24 01:38:24

Maggiesdad

Re: Collecting Eggs

Keep us posted! :jumping:

#3 2015-01-24 19:46:53

Flat Rock Farm

Umm never heard of hatching with the moon phase??  Have to let us know how that works out!!

I have never weighed my eggs during hatch so I can't comment, maybe PG can help you with that.

Good luck with the hatch!! :thumbsup:

#4 2015-01-25 00:17:20

gubi
Website

good luck with the hatch!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2015-01-25 19:51:41

poplar girl
Administrator

I do weight the eggs, the right amount of weight loss is important as I find it is a much better indicator of whether you have the humidity correct than actually measuring humidity.  I am not at home right now to check my notes and it's been almost a year since I hatched but from memory...

I have a Brinsea incubator so I more or less follow their instructions:
https://www.brinsea.com/Manuals/Oct2040AdvanceUS.pdf

I weight them before I put them in the incubator then again at 3-4 days, 7-8 days and 10-11 before I discard any. Weight loss should be linear throughout the incubation aiming for about 13% over 21 days. You should be able to tell by the first 10-11 days if you are on the right trajectory. If things seem good by 14 days I don't weight them again and for sure at 18 days that is it, once they are in lockdown "do not disturb".

I live in a dry area so I find that the right humidity for incubating is on the low end of what is recommended, I think the area where you live impacts the porosity of the eggs shell so relying on percent weight loss is better than targeting a specific humidity.

Hope your hatch goes great Hollowridge, keep us posted!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2015-01-26 13:49:54

hollowridge

:thumbs: Thanks Popular Girl,

That is what I wanted for info, the days that you weighed the eggs. 

And you are right we are more humid here on the coast then some.  Our eggs do seem to me more porous and we did have issues with that.   Last year we started with the 13% weight loss, but we weighed our eggs at collection not at set date so it was harder.  This year I have been doing lots of research and I love taking notes so I can't wait to start. :jumping:

Thanks and will keep you posted.

#7 2015-01-26 14:03:00

Flat Rock Farm

I am getting the itch to start the incubator when people start posting that they are collecting eggs :chairhide:

I am sticking to my guns and waiting until end of March beginning of April to start.  I do not like brooding chicks in my basement. the dust just about drives me wild!! LOL

#8 2015-01-27 13:00:43

poplar girl
Administrator

We just got home from vacation which was the only thing holding me back. Today I will be cleaning out the coop and plotting my strategy....by this coming weekend I hope to be pairing up roosters and hens and collecting eggs :hatch: When we got home last night we found our first turkey egg in the nest box so I collected it with the hopes it is the first of many :whistle:

Hollowridge I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the egg shells are more porous where you live, I am sure nature has ways to deal with little things like regional humidity difference. Just to make sure I explained myself, i don't weight individual eggs, I weight the whole group as it's faster and more accurate. I then calculate percent weight loss knowing I want to average about 0.62% a day. So by day 7 for example the eggs should have lost just over 4%. If you had a dozen eggs weighing about 732g (12 x 61g each) when you put them in the incubator they should have lost about 31-32g during the first 7 days incubation. If they lost a a bit too much I would increase humidity a few percent, too little and I would decrease it a 2-3%.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2015-01-27 13:54:34

Flat Rock Farm

Hope you had a good vacation PG and soaked up some sun :thumbsup:  Coming back to the cold is the hardest part :banginghead:

(sorry HR, off topic) :oops:

#10 2015-01-27 17:14:08

hollowridge

:thanks: Popular Girl,  Will let you know how I make out!
:thumbs: No Problem FRF chat away. :thumbsup:

We are in the middle of a storm now.  Glad I don't have an incubator full of eggs, but we still have power.  High winds, snow, sleet.  But we had grass showing yesterday so won't complain.

#11 2015-01-27 19:26:05

Flat Rock Farm

I see you are getting hammered, it's the same system that hit New York and Boston.  Stay safe and warm!!

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2015-01-27 19:27:28)

#12 2015-02-02 15:36:18

hollowridge

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_3030_zpse5b8e0b7.jpg
Day 3 and did a check of the weights.  Running at 40% humidity and looking good for the 13% weight loss.  :thumbs: 
Seen one that looks like an early loss, seen a line, but will wait till day 8 or so to check again. :(
We put extra's in just incase.  We usually don't run the 42nd one close to the turner motor.  And we snuck 6 up top that we got in cut out egg carton that we have to turn by hand. 

We made it okay through the last storm, but have another one on the way later today.  Hope we do as well as last time but we have a back-up plug ready to go to a battery to keep the incubator going if we loose.  Haven't tried it so hope we don't have to. :nervous:

#13 2015-02-02 15:41:35

hollowridge

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

I am getting the itch to start the incubator when people start posting that they are collecting eggs :chairhide:

I am sticking to my guns and waiting until end of March beginning of April to start.  I do not like brooding chicks in my basement. the dust just about drives me wild!! LOL

Our first 2 times we used a spare room upstairs :duh: boy that was bad.  Last year we moved everything down in the basement to our wood storage room and put a door on it with fine mesh screen.  Keeps it out of the rest of the house and contained to the wood area which is a dirty spot anyway.  Plus we have wood heat blown out there so the chicks stay warm and not as much power used.

We do early for 2 reasons.  1: we love to go trout fishing the first of April so we can have the chicks out by then.  2:  Insures that we have pullets laying by the time our older birds go into molt so we have eggs.  Okay maybe 3 reason; JUST CAN'T WAIT  :Crazy:  ha ha

#14 2015-02-02 19:34:29

Flat Rock Farm

Oh look at all those eggies!!!  :excited:

Keep us updated on their progress :thumbsup:

#15 2015-02-03 03:06:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Interesting that 40% humidity there where you are so humid seems like enough when the books your read always say 40-50%. I would have thought a bit higher. I think I usually run right around 40% humidity as well.

Looking forward to the ~day 8 update :thumbsup:

#16 2015-02-03 15:33:21

Maggiesdad

:thumbs: Lovin' the updates!

#17 2015-02-07 13:54:28

hollowridge

Okay Day 8 results:
I am still a bit peeved at my dear hubby, after the last weighing which was perfect!  He decided he didn’t like our center tray of water the way it was and filled it. :stomp:  Our humidity has been up around 45% “what is 5% he said”. :banginghead:  Well I will tell you!  Over kill!!  Our target has been blown out of the water (no pun intended) we are way under target for the 13% weight loss.  I gave him the look and said no more water.  Hope we can get it straighten out better by the next weigh –in. :please:
Even with the hard math in front of him, he still feels that the air sac is growing too big.  Is that even possible!? :huh:
Okay done, sorry.
We put in 48 eggs (7 more than the turner holds) and we have 8 eggs that look like they are done.  Will double check them on Day 10, and then toss.
4 with blood lines and 4 clear.  Of course, we have a girl “Peaches” that has nice yellow feet and perfect coloured feathers.  Two of hers were clear. :duh:  One is in there and that was collected minutes before we set the eggs, so it looks good, fingers are crossed. :nervous:

I am so glad that we put in the extra eggs. :jumping: Moved all the iffy’s ones to the hand turn slots and next to the turner motor.  Hope the viable ones didn’t get hurt by the turner motor extra heat.

#18 2015-02-07 13:58:55

hollowridge

poplar girl wrote:

Interesting that 40% humidity there where you are so humid seems like enough when the books your read always say 40-50%. I would have thought a bit higher. I think I usually run right around 40% humidity as well.

Looking forward to the ~day 8 update :thumbsup:

Our summers are more humid.  But winter time is murder on the sinus and skin.  The snow and cold suck the moisture out of you.  Plus we have forced air wood heat and our house is in the low 30% even with water containers on the registers.

#19 2015-02-07 16:04:37

poplar girl
Administrator

hollowridge wrote:

Okay Day 8 results:
I am still a bit peeved at my dear hubby, after the last weighing which was perfect!  He decided he didn’t like our center tray of water the way it was and filled it. :stomp:  Our humidity has been up around 45% “what is 5% he said”. :banginghead:  Well I will tell you!  Over kill!!  Our target has been blown out of the water (no pun intended) we are way under target for the 13% weight loss.  I gave him the look and said no more water.  Hope we can get it straighten out better by the next weigh –in. :please:
Even with the hard math in front of him, he still feels that the air sac is growing too big.  Is that even possible!? :huh:
Okay done, sorry.

I think if weight loss is what it should be the air sac will be too.

There is still time to correct, I understand that it is not so important that humidity is consistent (as it is for temperature) but that the average humidity achieves the correct weight loss. So if you can run the humidity on the low side the next week it should all be good....hollowridge's hubby are you reading this :P

#20 2015-02-07 17:50:32

Flat Rock Farm

Hope they are OK!!  PG is right you still have time to correct it.

I ALWAYS put in extras.  I fill the two Brinseas and put about another 6 or so in the Hovobator at the same time.  Whatever is clear in the Brinsea I take from the Hovobator and put in the Brinsea, that way I don't feel so bad when I get clears or early quitters.

#21 2015-02-10 18:38:21

hollowridge

:hi: Okay, results Day 10.5

First I have to say that Dear Hubby didn’t have us that bad off track. ;) I didn’t do up detailed results at first and went off of some of the numbers instead of all of them.  So dear Wife made a humble apology for jumping the gun. :chairhide:  Although it did make him more aware of how quick things can go wrong.  Okay now that I corrected that I will continue.
Thought that we had 8 eggs to come out and we actually took out 12 last night. :( Unfortunately one we should have left in; it was a dark shell and the contents looked loose and sloshing around in the egg.  When I opened it up, it looked like it should have on day 10, :stomp: blast we are going to have to invest in a better candling system.  We did have 5 infertile eggs, 3 with blood spots and 3 early quitters. :rain:

So out of the 36 eggs left the goal was to lose 6.45%  we have an actually loss of  6.3%  Not bad at all, we decreased the humidity to 35-38%.
The eggs from Riverbend lost  6.57%  with a range of 5.5% - 7.9%  all E.0.’s
Our E.O. eggs we lost 5.5%  with a range of 5.1% -6.1%
Our crosses we lost 6.82%  with a range of 4.8% - 8.45%
Hopefully the rest will make it to lockdown.  Fingers crossed.

#22 2015-02-10 18:57:05

Flat Rock Farm

Glad to hear that you were not that back off track.

Too bad about the dark shelled one, they are the hardest to candle for sure.

Look forward to updates as you go along :thumbsup:

#23 2015-02-11 11:54:48

poplar girl
Administrator

Sounds like there are some little fluffy butts in your future :thumbsup:

That is another point to make, about eggs from different sources or breeds of chickens. I do find that Turkey eggs need lower humidity as their shells are very thick. And between breeds of chickens they can vary quite a bit too!

Keep us posted Hollowridge!

#24 2015-02-14 13:05:53

hollowridge

:hi:   Day 14 +
Target weight loss          8.91%
Total weight loss Actual   8.6%

Riverbend  E.O. ‘s         8.9%   :jumping:    range   7.3 - 10.6
Our E.O.’s                    7.6  %             range     7  - 8.5
Our crosses                9.2%           range      6.5  -  11.7

Love the Riverbends eggs are right on the mark, ours are a little slow in responding hopefully we will be fine.  And our crosses are all over the map.   
Having to keep the humidity to at least 30%  usually running around 35% .  Any lower than the 30% the temperature  is hard to regulate.  :huh:

All 36 remaining looked good when we marked the air sac.'s   :nervous:

#25 2015-02-14 13:09:12

poplar girl
Administrator

:thumbsup: I hope you have a great hatch!

Adverts

Board footer