Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-12-04 19:26:18

hollowridge

Sad Day Here

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/IMG_26662edit_zps97e45e72.jpg

Sad day here, we had to put our little girl "Princess Pea" down.  She hard a hard time seeing and got a bad ankle about 6 weeks ago.  We did what we could but she never came around.  We separated her to help her heal and she started doing good but then went backwards, she didn't like being by herself and wasn't eating and drinking much, so we put her back with the others.  Of course they were mean to her, pulled out her new feathers and she was bleeding on her cone and around her eyes were they would snap her. :stomp:  Then both of her ankles swelled.  So now we don't think she hurt herself we wonder is she had gout?  Has anyone heard of that in chickens? 

Love having chickens but really dislike this part of the chain of life.

:rain:

2014-12-04 19:26:18

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-12-04 20:49:51

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Sad Day Here

Ah HR that is very sad :hug:  It's the hardest part of having any animal, but you did all you could for her and did with her the most humane thing and not let her suffer. 

I have never heard of gout on chickens other than bumble foot.  I know Lindy Lou had a duck once that had a swollen ankle and was warm to the touch, I forget now what it was but she became lame on it as time progressed and they had to take her in and out each day and also put her in the water tub outside so she do what ducks loved to do......get wet!!

R.I.P  Princess Pea :(

#3 2014-12-05 12:43:49

hollowridge

:thanks: Flat Rock, we looked her foot well over and the bottom was fine, no cuts so we ruled out bumble foot.  Here is an article that we found that was useful to us mentions gout in chickens.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/55098 … ng-article

#4 2014-12-05 13:14:36

poplar girl
Administrator

I'm so sorry about Princess Pea :hug: but she had a really good life up until recently thanks to you guys and that certainly counts for a lot!

I find that birds with one genetic flaw, like your princess P's eyesight, often have other health problems you don't see right away.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2014-12-05 13:27:06

hollowridge

poplar girl wrote:

I'm so sorry about Princess Pea :hug: but she had a really good life up until recently thanks to you guys and that certainly counts for a lot!

I find that birds with one genetic flaw, like your princess P's eyesight, often have other health problems you don't see right away.

You are so right, she had lots of issues, in her first year of laying her egg shells were soft then they turned around and were good.  And we didn't notice the eyesight till it started getting worse, we named her because we always thought of her as so delicate but now know it was for a reason.

#6 2014-12-05 13:27:44

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

:happycrowd"  sorry for your loss

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#7 2014-12-06 00:26:32

riverbendfarm
Website

So sorry Hollowridge, I have a girl like that who is almost over 2 now, and she's still hanging on. I have her in with one of my layer flocks for company and they don't seem to be bad to her, but she sleeps alone and is somewhat poor in the eyesight department as well. When I had to put down Ham and 'Niller because of similar joint problems it really stung because they were so sweet and had become family pets. On a more cheerful note I am collecting EO eggs from 2 pens to start hatching next week. Maybe some new babies will help cheer you up! If you'd like some just let me know. :hug:

Last edited by riverbendfarm (2014-12-06 00:27:23)

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#8 2014-12-06 11:54:28

hollowridge

:thanks:  Everyone, for the kind words, it is never easy and you hold out hope till it goes over the line and you know it is for the best.

Thanks for the offer Riverbend, we are dreaming spring dreams this year, may hold off the hatching a little later and see what takes place a bit warmer and easier on the power bill.  But I would really love to see pictures and keep us up dated on the hatching, I just :love: that time.

Our girl was two also so maybe it was in the gene pool, they were weak birds that year and we only have one of them left.  What was the joint problem that you had with your two, Ham & 'Niller?  Do you have a name for it?

Will you be off for the big day? :chickout:  Please :pics: and thanks again.

#9 2014-12-06 12:56:54

riverbendfarm
Website

An experienced chicken keeper thought it may have been arthritis, and the symptoms certainly were similar: white milky fluid in the joints. I will be home for hatching and excited to try out my new (to me) sportsman cabinet hatcher with plexiglass door! The eggs are beginning to pile up in my basement :jumping:

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#10 2014-12-06 22:41:52

Flat Rock Farm

Ooooo RB you got a Sportsman, boy you can in trouble with that!!! =D

Adverts

Board footer