Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2011-09-18 13:51:21

Susan
Administrator

Re: My very first EO chick!

Monika, I'm working on separating my roos right now, but Sparkle and maybe one other EO roo will stay with the girls. If I get it done right away I may have eggs I could get you in a few weeks to one month.

2011-09-18 13:51:21

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2011-09-18 15:29:30

Island Girl

Susan that would great! I will definitely take you up on your offer =D As for the crooked toe/leg issues I am going to try to fix it only because I have an Araucana that I purchased as a chick and did not notice that she had crooked toes. I'm not sure how I missed it but oh my there is one toe on each foot that is sooo crooked and seems to be getting worse as she puts on more weight. It is definitely hindering how she gets around, if I can figure out how to post a video I will try to today. Based on this alone whether it is genetic or hatching issues or both I would not take a chance of breeding her (not that I had planned to) so I will try to fix the chicks for their comfort and band them and either use them for layers or dinner!

XOX Monika

#28 2011-09-18 15:42:35

Flat Rock Farm

Well I had my fair share of crooked toes with both my hatches of EO's this year and you could tell a couple days after they hatched.  So it is a genetic fault with them, fortunately most were the roosters  so I re-homed them to people who had no other EO's and were not using them for breeding.  They just wanted them for pets, I have one hen that has one crooked toe but I kept her, will not collect eggs from her if I sell eggs or incubate them.  I love the SumatraXEO you will have to send some pictures once she starts to feather out as am sure it will be interesting :thumbs:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2011-09-18 15:43:10)

#29 2011-09-18 16:52:58

3riverschick
Website

Island Girl wrote:

Hi 3riverschick I was typing while you posted so never saw it before I hit send. The chicks are on a layer of papertowel which is on a layer of shavings. Its what I have always done but maybe I should switch it up :huh: I will check out that site right now and search for pipecleaners, nearest open store with supplies are 1 hr round trip. I will check back in soon. Thanks!!

XOX Monika

======
I know a bunch of folks use that waffle-weave non-skid drawer liner on which to brood their chicks. I do too, for the first week before the chicks go from the newborn brooder into the regular brooder. I keep them in a smaller, newborn brooder for the 1st week to check for needy chicks.
  Years ago,  when I got my first flock of Cuckoo Marans, I go them from veteran poultryman Kelly Cratty who lived about 1 1/2 hrs. from me at that time. I don't have them anymore, moved to BTB Marans and EO's. Anyway, I picked up the chicks and Kelly told me to put wood chips down on the bottom of the brooder. Then make a hardware cloth platform out of 1/4 inch hardware . Raise the chicks on that for the 1st 2 weeks. Then switch them to a 1/2 inch hardware cloth  platform for the rest of the brooding period. Kelly told me it would prevent crooked toes. It did. The chips soak up the waste and the platform keeps the their feet in good shape and the chicks out of the waste and wet.
  Then last year, I got a shipment of day old chicks with correct feet and shanks. . Paid 15.00 each for them. I had seen so many folk say to just raise on newspaper so I decided to do something different. I raised them on newspaper like all the experts said. To a chick, every single one developed severely twisted feet and i had to rehome all of them. Ouch.  I spent some time on the Net trying to figure out what happened and why Kelly was right and the experts wrong. Finally found out that  chicks sleep resting down on their feet. If the surface is smooth, they curl their toes underneath them and the toes grow crooked because of this. If they're brooded on hardware cloth, they keep their toes straight when they sleep and the toes grow straight. I went back to raising my chicks on hardware cloth and the problem hasn't repeated itself.
Just something I found out the hard way, just sharing. :)
Best Regards,

Last edited by 3riverschick (2011-09-18 17:05:10)

Karen Tewart
"The present is best served when we remember the past."

#30 2011-09-18 17:35:23

Susan
Administrator

I've always brooded everyone on pine shavings. Nothing else. Works for me. The few crooked toes I've seen I'm sure were genetic.

#31 2011-09-19 02:25:32

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The genetics totally could influence whether a chick raised on non-ideal conditions, say super flat smooth floor would actually get the bent toes or be fine, it could be a bit of both, just to confuse...  :huh:  When I was researching the Squidoo article one do the Spanish websites listed all the common Euskal oiloa DQ faults and bent toes was definitely one.  Feather legs wasn't I don't think though :huh:

We raise our own chicks on both shavings and the drawer liners and no difference, barely any bent toes.  The only bent toes we've ever had were on McMurray Dominques and on of our Welsummers.  I only ever do newspaper for the first 2 days with chicks that were in the mail, they are always starving and I bet they'd eat shavings given the chance.  John Blehm raises his on tiny mesh and when we get the dream barn set up we will do that, less cleaning for sure.

#32 2011-09-19 15:54:54

Amblecroft
Website

:congrats:

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#33 2011-09-20 01:09:07

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Love the avatar Amblecroft! :thumbs:

#34 2011-09-22 01:29:18

Susan
Administrator

How are the chicks doing Monika?

#35 2011-09-22 03:14:38

Island Girl

They are doing great Susan. That first chick that hatched has such pretty colors developing. They are all so bold and curious. They eat well and love to check everything out. The one that I hobbled the legs did straighten out a bit but is a little pigeon toed. :P The one with one crooked toe, I taped up to see if I can straighten it and the third one I think I may not be able to fix. I have it seprated in its own little brooder but it doesn't get around too well. I will wait a bit more and then decide its fate. Overall I am so impressed with the personality of these chicks. I am so impatient I want to fast forward and see what they will be like as adults and yet I want to enjoy this stage as well. Are you still thinking of collecting eggs for me?

XOX Monika

#36 2011-09-22 13:01:49

Susan
Administrator

I'm so glad you are enjoying them :). And yes. I got everyone separated 3 days ago. What I did was move all of the EO girls with just Sparkle to their own coop and run. I won't be doing any pair  or trio breeding until the late winter/spring. So it will be a bit of a grab bag of traits in the chicks, but at the same time I have all of my best in the mix as well- does that make sense? These eggs are still fairly small too, but I think they should hatch just fine. How long do you want to wait? Last year we tried eggs after 2 weeks of separation and they were all pure, but I always wait a month before I sell any. Its up to you.

#37 2011-09-22 15:51:04

Island Girl

Good morning Susan, =D  I think you are saying that you have your best girls in with other EO girls to collect eggs from. But that all the EO girls are good breeding stock.  Is Sparkle the only roo in with them now? So then Sparkle will be the father of all the eggs/chicks you would be collecting for me? Lets wait a month to be sure they will be pure and that also gives me time to grow out my Freedom Ranger meat birds to butchering age, they are 4 weeks old now + another month and then some time for collecting/shipping and hatching would give me 2 8X9 connected coops to raise them up in over the winter. Also that will give the smaller type eggs a chance to mature into larger type eggs. Do you think that starting with smaller eggs is compromising the outcome of the size of the chicks at all? I know that big eggs means big chicks but will smaller chicks from smaller eggs play catchup and end up just as big as the chicks from the bigger eggs? Wow that is a wordy question :oops:  Also trying to keep lines straight just in case I decide to start breeding them :whistle: I think I remember reading that Sparkle is the son of Claire's roo that my chicks are fathered from (Jim), does this sound like I would be able to breed these chicks? Sorry for all the questions Susan, I just want to stay 'un' confused for as long as possible, lol!!

XOX Monika

#38 2011-09-22 22:39:25

Susan
Administrator

I'll try to answer your questions- smaller chicks should catch up just fine, Sequin's first chicks were smaller (from early eggs) and they are now no different tam the other in terms of size. Some are actually the biggest I've got.  As for breeding, we are dealing with a small gene pool here in Canada. ALL of the birds we have originated from a flock from 2008. I believe Claire's and Black Horse Ranch's are the least related now. Sparkle and Sequin came from Claire. (I believe Speckled Jim and a few hens) so the question this year will be who to breed to whom. I now have mine, Claire's and BHR to choose from. But like I say, they are all somewhat related. Hope that helps.

#39 2011-12-19 19:53:32

choctawgal
Website

Island Girl,

Thanks for sharing your chick pics!  :hatch:

I really enjoyed this thread and love the suggestion about the hardware cloth!  I had one Guinea who came to me as a keat with inturned toes/legs.  Once they went into the roosting cage to mature a bit more, her legs and toes straightened out!  I think the combo of the hardware cloth floor in the cage PLUS the roosting branches corrected the problem!

Thanks again!
Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#40 2011-12-20 03:13:12

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It is amazing what we learn by trial and error with these little creatures!  :chickout:  We have only had a handful with bent toes despite having one particularly vicious incubator :banginghead: they were nearly all Dominiques and a couple of Wellies!

#41 2011-12-20 05:38:44

Island Girl

choctawgal wrote:

Island Girl,

Thanks for sharing your chick pics!  :hatch:

I really enjoyed this thread and love the suggestion about the hardware cloth!  I had one Guinea who came to me as a keat with inturned toes/legs.  Once they went into the roosting cage to mature a bit more, her legs and toes straightened out!  I think the combo of the hardware cloth floor in the cage PLUS the roosting branches corrected the problem!

Thanks again!
Jenn

Hey Jenn, you are very welcome! It really doesn't take too much encouragement to get me out there with the camera. I am finding that with the last 2 batches I don't spend as much time outside as in the summer and they almost seem a little skittish. I know that will change with time but it is making me rethink my chicken arrangements outside and maybe get them out of the large brooder they are in and get them down on the ground. Easier to sit with them a love them up with treats. Like Claire said, its a lot of trial and error. Part of the fun ;)

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer