Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-15 18:22:59

Island Girl

My very first EO chick!

Here it is!!  :happycrowd" Holy honking huge chick, very thick legs and a comb already :huh:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/FirstEOchickSept2011002.jpg

XOX Monika

2011-09-15 18:22:59

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-15 19:38:28

Susan
Administrator

Re: My very first EO chick!

Yup, that's an EO baby for sure! Congratulations! :EO:

#3 2011-09-15 20:16:54

3riverschick
Website

wow! you said it1 Huge chick! Huge congratulations!

:congrats:

Karen Tewart
"The present is best served when we remember the past."

#4 2011-09-16 00:25:52

gubi
Website

And now we have Claire EO babies from the east coast all the way to BC!  :congrats:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2011-09-16 01:30:18

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:congrats: Monika....Looks like a little boy aww.  :love:

You're right Stefan, Nova Scotia to BC!  :jumping:

#6 2011-09-16 03:11:10

Island Girl

So glad to be helping out with the overall Canadian placement of Claire's EOs =D I have 2 that have hatched now and a third one pipping, they seem to be taking there sweet time to get that first pip in but then wow they zip and pop quickly (all 2 of them :P) They both have definite combs and the first one has feather stubs on his legs, I discovered this because I decided to band him and any others that I think might be boys just to see if I will be right. The second has no leg feather stubs. Can we tell the color of the legs right away or does that take some time to develop? So many questions already :oops:

XOX Monika

#7 2011-09-16 04:12:28

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:congrats:

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#8 2011-09-16 11:20:34

poplar girl
Administrator

:congrats: IG!

I have noticed that if I take a nice clear picture I can sometimes see pink legs vs. yellow legs on chicks right away. On the girls (and somehow also on the boys for me this year, that's another story) you also need to look for blue tinges or green tinges.

Stubs also showed up on some of my chicks. My best pullet has them in fact but I will be using her anyway as they all have faults, just different ones.

I'm thinking you will have more by morning!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2011-09-16 18:35:27

Flat Rock Farm

Island Girl a BIG  :congrats:  They are nice big, healthy, friendly chicks.  Enjoy them!!:thumbsup:

#10 2011-09-17 01:45:04

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Monika, did you get any more yet? :huh:

#11 2011-09-17 03:15:23

Island Girl

Hi Claire, yes I did :happycrowd" I have 6 now and 1 of the imposters also hatched. I have 1 more pipping and another ready to pip I believe. There are the 3 with wonky air sacks that aren't doing too much so I think they are goners but I will wait and see. I will go take more pictures, be back soon.

XOX Monika  :EO:

#12 2011-09-17 04:06:48

Island Girl

Here are a few more pictures :P

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOsday2009.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOsday2001.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOsday2006.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOsday2013.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOsday2014.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOsday2015.jpg

XOX Monika

#13 2011-09-17 11:29:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:jumping: Awesome!  :congrats:  They are big and  fluffy!  Hope the last two make it out OK.  You have the only Sumatra x EO in the country! :whistle:  It actually looks like a pretty big chick.  The sumatra chicks are usually 2/3 of that size and narrow pointy little chicks. That looks like a big fluffy one!

#14 2011-09-17 13:22:32

poplar girl
Administrator

Very cool! That's not a bad hatch for all the way from Ontario to B.C.

I love Claires Sumatras...let's hope the surprise baby is a girl!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#15 2011-09-17 15:33:31

Island Girl

:EO: I think I can breath now ;) 2 more overnight, so I have 8 EOs and my little imposter who we shall have to name. Any ideas as 'she' is obviously very special? :thumbsup:  I do have 2 with spraddled legs though, I have hobbled them with bandaids and we will see what happens. Doesn't really seem like quite enough chicks though, out of 12 eggs I was able to hatch out 8, so thats a 75% hatch rate and considering the distance I think that is very good, I have read that 55% is acceptable for shipped eggs (I really didn't take into account lowering the hatchability with shipping) soooooo SLF I think I shall gift myself EO eggs for my 50th birthday on the 28th!! Would you like to enable me with this idea =D Oh dear I appear to be rather hooked already, hmmm and if you might be shipping eggs maybe we should talk more about those tiny purple darlings ....

XOX Monika

#16 2011-09-17 19:15:26

gubi
Website

IG congratulations on the excellent hatch.  By spraddled legs do you mean the chicks with the twisted feet?  The wet chick in the second picture?  If you decide to try to fix them you should make sure that you mark them so you don't use them for breeding.  I have a few with crooked toes (twisted foot), they do just as good as the rest, my hen with it from last year roost up high with the rest of the hens and gets around no problem.  And the cockerels grew just as fast and made or will make great dinners! 

We won another one over! yeah.  Claire got me hooked on EO's with the ACE egg swap in 2010!  I got eggs from her 3 times this year!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#17 2011-09-18 01:19:08

3riverschick
Website

Island Girl wrote:

:EO: I think I can breath now ;) 2 more overnight, so I have 8 EOs and my little imposter who we shall have to name. Any ideas as 'she' is obviously very special? :thumbsup:  I do have 2 with spraddled legs though, I have hobbled them with bandaids and we will see what happens. Doesn't really seem like quite enough chicks though, out of 12 eggs I was able to hatch out 8, so thats a 75% hatch rate and considering the distance I think that is very good, I have read that 55% is acceptable for shipped eggs (I really didn't take into account lowering the hatchability with shipping) soooooo SLF I think I shall gift myself EO eggs for my 50th birthday on the 28th!! Would you like to enable me with this idea =D Oh dear I appear to be rather hooked already, hmmm and if you might be shipping eggs maybe we should talk more about those tiny purple darlings ....

XOX Monika

==============
Island Girl, do you have chicks with bent toes? This can be due to inbreeding. It can also be due to a big chick stuck in the shell too long. Seen both here. Go to Linda Hamid's Sweetwater Ranch website. On it is a simple procedure to fix bent toes. We used it here for chicks who were in the egg too long and had crooked toes. It's the pipe-cleaner method. Really works. The splints were on our chicks toes about 24 hours. Then toes straightened out and no more problems. Not hard to do at all and uses simple supplies. You can get them at Walmart tonight. The faster you get the splints on the toes, the quicker the chick won't need them anymore.
Best Regards,

Last edited by 3riverschick (2011-09-18 01:20:25)

Karen Tewart

#18 2011-09-18 01:25:59

3riverschick
Website

Island Girl,
On what type of flooring are you brooding the chicks?
Best,

Karen Tewart

#19 2011-09-18 02:01:27

Island Girl

Thanks gubi, I will definitely band the chick in picture #2, it does have 1 twisted toe but is fine other than that. I do have 2 others that I am trying to staighten out their legs. 1 has only 1 turned leg but the second has both quite turned. I will hobble them for awhile to see if corrects itself. I wasn't sure if it was genetic or if it was incubation issues. The two with the spraddled legs are the 2 I helped out a bit as they were taking too long after the pips and I knew they were getting shrink wrapped. I don't know if their legs suffered because they were stuck or because I helped them or just because they already had issues. I will have to google spraddled legs .

I love these chicks they are so gregareous. They really do come out from under their brooder warmer when I put my hand in the brooder box. They need to see who is there and why! They are all quite active and the little Sumatra/EO cross has the most wonderful trilling sound. I may call 'her' Millie Vanillie because that is the only imposter I know of. BUT my maltese is named Milly so I may have to shorted in to MV just not to confuse matters :P

XOX Monika

#20 2011-09-18 02:06:58

Island Girl

Hi 3riverschick I was typing while you posted so never saw it before I hit send. The chicks are on a layer of papertowel which is on a layer of shavings. Its what I have always done but maybe I should switch it up :huh: I will check out that site right now and search for pipecleaners, nearest open store with supplies are 1 hr round trip. I will check back in soon. Thanks!!

XOX Monika

#21 2011-09-18 02:42:07

poplar girl
Administrator

MV is a perfect name for "her".

I have had chicks with curled in toes (from too long in the egg) correct on their own. That said, using pipe cleaners to ensure the toes are straight is safest. Of all the EOs I hatched (maybe 50?) this year only one had a crooked toe (only slightly bent) and one other a crooked foot. Iso it may just be a hatching issue.

#22 2011-09-18 03:35:48

Island Girl

Not a pipecleaner to be found. Oh the things I did find :oops: ... tomorrow I will be at the corner $ store right after church! Will that be too late do you think? The chick will be more than 24 hrs old but not 36 hrs old.

XOX Monika

#23 2011-09-18 03:41:14

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It seems the genetic bent toes show up later rather than right at the start in the EO's if I remember rightly.  Stefan may have more idea.   I think the hatch was stretched well over 48 hours, which seems like a long time for a small number of all one breed.  The last to hatch must have been close to day 23, so I think it my be hatching/incubating issues.  It is totally it is possible it is genetic too. 

Love the name, you can always call her Vanillli too.  I was going to name her Mom and aunt Milly and Lilly at one point, but #6 and #5 stuck instead.  Her Mom is #6, the bigger of the two sumatra hens.  Your chick looks nothing like a sumatra chick and more like a big fluffy black penedesenca if I was to guess not knowing her history!

I talked to hubby, no can do on the eggs.  I'm really sorry, I would love to oblige.  There's nowhere I can put them, the 14 chantecler babies are growing up here and have taken over what was the extra breeding pen.  We are in getting ready for winter mode here now. 

My EO roos and lav duccle roos are in with all the hens (lav d'uccles hens included), but I have too many pale brown egg layers to tell the big eggs apart, and they could be 1/2 D'uccle too.  The lav orp, BLRWs and Chanteclers eggs  are all interchangeable....not to mention the sumatras :oops:  I think the EOs have a stash of eggs somewhere anyway so would need enclosing in a coop/run. 

I have my Wheaten ameraucanas separated for Lindy Lou and have had 2 green eggs in the last week from 3 hens!  They don't like the cold.  It was 4 degrees here this morning! :(  Winter is coming.

#24 2011-09-18 03:52:26

Island Girl

No worried Claire, I will just have to wait then! You are right it was a long hatch, not really sure why. The only thing I really did differently is keep then downstairs, which I don't plan to do again anyhow. Way too hard on the legs as I had to check them 100x/day =D It is quite a bit more humid than upstairs but we'll just wait and see how the spring hatches go! Now I will just concentrate on these little beauties and see how many are roos!

XOX Monika

#25 2011-09-18 13:32:07

gubi
Website

I had one last year with crooked toes and I didn't notice it right away.  And I figured it was an incubating issue.  This year however I had 5 EO's with crooked toes, 2 of them on both feet and I hatched about 150 in the incubator and the EO's where the only breed with the issue.  This year I saw the chicks had it at hatch because I was watching for it but I decided against fixing it, I do have a really nice cockerel right now that has bent toes and I'm sure I would keep him if not for the crooked toes so if I had them fixed I might be breeding the problem deeper into the breed.  As to if it is genetics or incubator problems I don't know how to see the difference.  Slow hatching can be genetics too.   EO's are know to be very fast hatchers.  The question is did they have problem hatching because their toes are bent in and they couldn't get a grip on the zip to push out or did their toes bent in because they were stuck too long?

Adverts

Board footer