Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-09-03 02:22:47

Island Girl

Some of my chicks have tested MG positive ...

This is what i posted on ACE tonite and of course want to share here as well.

I have been following the advice of two Avian pathologists (vets) at the Abbotsford Animal Health Center and have done a fair bit of reading on my own. The internet is full of good and bad advice. I have a closed flock now while I sort through my own personal thoughts and course of action, but now the time has come for me to reach out to those of you who are in the know   ...  either by your own personal experience or knowledge of this disease in general. Yes I know it has been discussed numerous times but there is nothing like having to go through it yourself to get one motivated to want to hear about how you have dealt with it. I have read many posts on this forum in regards to MG including the Myco experiment (very interesting) but I choose to go this route and can only hope that it helps me. Bare with me if you gave it  your all on those posts and please share your wisdom again with me. 

I am so very interested in what my EO family has to say, opinions, knowledge,  wisdom etc. The part that is really getting me down is that I have a wonderful rooster this year with many hens I want to breed him with including some of my original Claire and Susan stock, not to mention showing this year, it would be my third year showing EOs. And yes the MG has cut a swath through my Porcelain BootedBantam flock as well  ...  definitely needing some virtual hugs here.

XOX Monika

2014-09-03 02:22:47

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-09-03 02:45:11

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Some of my chicks have tested MG positive ...

Monika first :happycrowd"

And second, please explain in more detail what has happened....symptoms, mortality, diagnosis, recommendations, treatment, etc.

I had my flock tested for MG a few years ago in hopes of the vet diagnosing them and then helping me deal with the disease as I was sure, based on what I saw, my flock had it. All my birds tested negative so I have no idea what they were sick with but it was not myco.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2014-09-03 03:14:48

Island Girl

Thanks pg for the response and Hugs! Unfortunately the first symptom was dying chicks. At first I thought it was 'normal' , a few chicks that didn't make it and I thought that it was time to get them out of their crowded brooder boxes (which were in their very nice brooder room) and out into the sunshine and fresh air of their coop. BUT they kept dying. Then I noticed the sniffles, the odd hunched up stand which progressed to sneezing and then watery eyes and the occasional swollen sinus area. Five chicks were culled, none of my adult birds showed signs so I did not cull any for  lab testing. I had housed all the chicks together in the outdoor with the exception of the larger Porcelain that I housed into a separate cage in the main Bantam coop and some other smaller Porcelain that I kept completely away from the coops  .. Only because of their tiny size I kept them in their original brooder box. Anyhow, the tests came back positive. I had them on Superbooster and immediately switched them onto OXYTETRACYCLIN-A then I had to wait two weeks and then get them onto Tylan for five days. I actually started my laying /breeding flock one day after the chicks so essentially the chicks are done their course of treatment but I have left them on for an extra day. I will call the lab tomorrow and discuss my clinical resolution with them and see if they have further suggestions.

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2014-09-03 03:15:30)

#4 2014-09-03 04:04:37

Island Girl

... Continued  :wine:

It was suggested to me that my first step should be 'clinical resolution', in other words no physical signs of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. The antibiotic of choice for the first go around was oxytetracycline -A  for 5-7 days (I had them on for the full 7 days) then a two week break for the kidneys I believe and if there was no clinical resolution or if things were getting worse then go onto the Tylan for 5 days. Tomorrow my birds are off all meds but there are still not 100%. Overall they do seem much better and one of the Avian Pathologists did suggest there was the 'tincture  of time'  to consider as well. There may be some interior  sinus swelling that will take a little time to improve so to be patient. I will call tomorrow anyhow and touch base with them. Its been a few weeks now that they have had the pleasure of trying to talk me down  ...

XOX Monika

#5 2014-09-03 11:34:59

poplar girl
Administrator

How awful to have your chicks get sick!

So if I understand correctly you are not sure if your adults have it as they have not been tested? Are all the hatching eggs from your birds?

I was not aware that oxytetracycline was effective on myco. I know Tylan is. When I had my flock tested my intent was to get my vet to prescribe Denagard so I could obtain some to use as a preventative in my flock over the next few years. If I remember correctly Denegard used at the right time can stop the cycle of myco as it will actually kill the organism if you treat early enough. All other antibiotics treat the symptoms but the bird remains a carrier for life.

Because my flock did not test positive for MG I was never able to obtain Denagard but I know others use it. Sue posted some very good information on either ACE or WCPS. Toybarons is also very knowledgable.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2014-09-03 19:22:38

Shnookie

Hi, Monika.  It's too bad your chickies are sick.  :hug:  How old were your chicks when they started getting sick?  Did it start in your brooder room, or out in the coop?

Starting with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) Basque, Speckled Basque, and Blue, Black and Splash Ameraucanas.

#7 2014-09-03 21:14:19

NaturesPace
Website

:hug:
I'm sorry to hear they are ill. Pardon my ignorance, but what is MG?

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#8 2014-09-04 00:31:29

Flat Rock Farm

NaturesPace wrote:

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum

#9 2014-09-05 06:03:43

Island Girl

I will go back to any questions anyone has asked and answer what I can, but not tonite  I want to take this time to tell you that I did speak to the Avian pathologists again as well as my own local vet today. My plan of action is to have my breeding EO  rooster's blood drawn by my vet (he has agreed to show me How) and then we are sending the sample to the Abbotsford lab to see if he is MG free and if he is I will separate and quarantine him and begin testing breeding hens.  Then I will periodically have them tested to ensure they stay MG free. I am doing this as I want to sell eggs and show my EOs. If he tests positive I will stay a closed flock and not share EOs anymore or show my birds as I would not be able to do so in good conscience. I do not want to cull my rooster as he is everything I could ask for in a rooster and he is bang on for the EO standard being worked on at this time. I have not had any signs of MG in my adult flock, but I am told that until proven differently any bird on the property should be considered positive.  I also have a flock of Porcelain booted Bantams that I will also begin testing. I am sure they will test positive but we will wait and see. I will cull them if they are the only ones to test positive as I have another group of 8 Porcelain that have shown no signs at all and have been housed completely separate from the others (I do hold out some hope these will test negative). I have been very busy cleaning and disinfecting coops. Yes my coops were very well taken care of before this but it was time for the fall cleaning anyhow... I have used virkon on food and water dishes and a bleach solution for other things. I also brought in new sand for the outside runs as they needed to be topped off and it feels good to be so thorough, kinda therapeutic! My pressure washer has had a good workout.I want to say thanks to those of you who are posting and are sharing anything you can. I have learned a lot about this disease and its transmission and how to deal with it for my flock needs, and I hope that I will be able to share this with you as I continue to learn about it.

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2014-09-05 06:04:05)

#10 2014-09-05 15:38:00

Island Girl

poplargirl wrote:

I had my flock tested for MG a few years ago in hopes of the vet diagnosing them and then helping me deal with the disease as I was sure, based on what I saw, my flock had it. All my birds tested negative so I have no idea what they were sick with but it was not myco.

You are fortunate pg, but as I am learning most flocks do already have it. I was quoted 60% by the avian pathologist and have  read stats as high as 89%.  :(   It may be possible that the strain I have was simply too difficult for the young chicks to handle and therefore many died. It will be interesting to see what the adult blood tests come back as. I am really hoping that my rooster is negative and then  start rebuilding my flock from there with much higher biosecurity in place. I have to admit to letting others into my coop and handling my chicks without any regard to boot baths etc. I have to say here that although I did let biosecurity slip I truly have not visited another coop set up that has less potential for disease transmission including wild bird access etc. Certainly a wake up call for me.

XOX Monika

#11 2014-09-05 15:42:05

Island Girl

Shnookie wrote:

Hi, Monika.  It's too bad your chickies are sick.  :hug:  How old were your chicks when they started getting sick?  Did it start in your brooder room, or out in the coop?

It started in my brooder room Shnookie with only a couple other people having access. But I did not have boot baths etc in place. The chicks were not crowded but getting to the point where they liked to jump out of the boxes onto the floor and so I did move them outside. They were around 5 weeks old.

XOX Monika

#12 2014-09-05 16:01:35

Island Girl

poplar girl wrote:

How awful to have your chicks get sick!

So if I understand correctly you are not sure if your adults have it as they have not been tested? Are all the hatching eggs from your birds?

I was not aware that oxytetracycline was effective on myco. I know Tylan is. When I had my flock tested my intent was to get my vet to prescribe Denagard so I could obtain some to use as a preventative in my flock over the next few years. If I remember correctly Denegard used at the right time can stop the cycle of myco as it will actually kill the organism if you treat early enough. All other antibiotics treat the symptoms but the bird remains a carrier for life.

Because my flock did not test positive for MG I was never able to obtain Denagard but I know others use it. Sue posted some very good information on either ACE or WCPS. Toybarons is also very knowledgable.

Correct pg I am starting off with testing my rooster that I have selected for next years breeding. He is a Beauty!  I am also going to continue the test with my $100. Porcelain booted Bantam hen and her daugter from last year as well as  a  Bantam chick from my segregated chicken coop, with the hope that I have some negative bantams.

I did have hatching eggs from other sources but have checked into that and no one else has had any problems, it seems to have originated here.

I did ask about deneguard but was told by the vets that a oxytetracycline should cover it and then Tylan as a followup, they are vets however and would not recommend a medication that is not poultry approved  :huh: I will need to read up on that medication killing the Mycoplasma as that would be a good vet conversation on Monday! Wondering if you have any literature I could print off for my Dr?

XOX Monika

#13 2014-09-05 16:05:40

Island Girl

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

NaturesPace wrote:

Mycoplasma Gallisepticum

Thanks Paula  :happycrowd" I have been very busy cleaning and disinfecting,  everyone really should familiarize themselves with the symptoms of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum and have meds on hand.

XOX  Monika

#14 2014-09-05 17:34:14

Flat Rock Farm

Lots of work and stress for you my dear :hug:

I always have meds on hand just in case, most of the time they expire before I even open them but like to have them just in case.   Always use my AC vinegar and I have a multi vitamin that I use regularly.

I do hope your rooster is negative as well as the others you are having tested.  Wish I was closer to join you for a glass :wine:

#15 2014-09-06 00:34:53

poplar girl
Administrator

Here is one reference on Denagard for you Monika. It is not registered in Canada for use on poultry (only on pigs) but is registered in other countries. Vets can prescribe antibiotics for off label use if they feel it is the right course of action.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/focus/con … ultry1.pdf

I am not sure if I will be able to find the reference but even if some of your breeding birds test positive you may be able to hatch Myco free chicks, keep the younger birds separate from the infected flock and then in a year or two cull your infected birds and be free of the disease. There is an article that lists an antibiotic treatment regime to use on your breeding birds prior to collecting eggs and then a treatment of the chicks to break the cycle.

Do some reading, talk to the vet and let us know what they say!

#16 2014-09-06 01:59:14

Susan
Administrator

All I can offer right now is hugs .... Hang in there, my friend

#17 2015-03-01 15:31:08

Island Girl

I am starting a new thread today as an update on my MG situation.

XOX Monika

#18 2015-03-04 01:50:34

LNSS

Adverts

Board footer