Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-12 15:07:13

Island Girl

sexing chicks by ipf

Hi there :hi: , ipf posted a great bunch of info on sexing chicks on WCPS. I wonder if that would be good info for this site? If so maybe it could be posted here too. What do you think ipf/SLF? Maybe the EOs don't sex this way :huh:  maybe I should drink more coffee before posting ....

XOX Monika

2011-09-12 15:07:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-12 15:37:25

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: sexing chicks by ipf

If IPF would love to post it here, that would be wonderful, :thumbs:  It is likely they aren't feather sexable as it seems a lot of the non-sexable breeds are Spanish.  Not a certainty, by any means.  I have been finding the tails on all seem to grow around the same rate unlike, say the d'uccles.  I have a feeling the sexing may come from subtle head markings, like other barred birds.  But I could be wrong, depends if the EO Cantabrian barring gene acts the same as the Regular  :huh:  The black penedesencas you can tell from the comb from day one!  But the EOs comb is just a bit slower-about 2 weeks slower.

#3 2011-09-12 18:13:11

ipf

Here it is, with a para added for this specific breed. . .

Feather-sexing works for some pure breeds; for some specific hybrids (see bottom of this post) it also works. However if we're talking about whatever happened to hatch from a mixed flock, you can't generally predict sex from feathering speed in mixed (not purebred) matings.

In EOs, I doubt very much that the K allele is present. It was deliberately bred into other breeds, to enable sight-sexing I believe. There are however some deleterious effects of this allele, I think, but I don't have time to research it right now (I'm off to Alberta in 5 minutes).

Marradunas "should" be sight-sexable, based on barring, since that is also a sex-linked gene. Males have two copies of the barred allele (B/B), and females, only one (B/b), so the males should have brighter barring, and show with a bigger headspot when young, than the females. At least, that's the theory. What do you folks in the real world see?
Feathering speed is governed by a sex-linked gene, K=slow, and k+ (wildtype) = fast. (two other, even slower, variants exist. I won't go into them right now).

Breeds that have the K allele (and since we're talking breeds, not hybrids, they ONLY have the K allele) will feather slowly, in general. Becasue it's sex-linked, males have two copies (K/K) and females only one (K/-). Because of the dosage effect, males (with two doses) will feather slower than females.

Breeds that have the K allele, so should be feather sexable, are:
Brahma
Cochin
Langshan
Dorking
Cornish
Sussex
Orpington
Australorp
RIR
New Hampshire
Barred Rock
Wyandotte
Delaware
Jersey Giant

Breeds that have the k+ allele, so won't be feather sexable:
Leghorn
Minorca
Andalusian
Ancona
Buff Catalana
Brabanter
Campine

It gets even more interesting with hybrids. If you cross a female from the slow-feathering list (K allele, so K/-) with a male from the fast feathering list (k+ allele, so k+/k+), all the cockerels (K/k+) will feather slowly, and the pullets (k+/-) will feather REALLY fast.

#4 2011-09-13 22:38:32

reereechickens

Very interesting!=D

EO's have started laying! My EO flock: 4 hens 2 roos

#5 2011-10-09 00:45:32

texastinsel

I have so much to learn...absolutely fascinating.  :applause: I so admire and am astounded with the brilliance of those that grasp the complexity of it all.

#6 2011-10-09 01:18:00

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

texastinsel wrote:

I so admire and am astounded with the brilliance of those that grasp the complexity of it all.

Me too!  :whistle: I just love my chooks!  I just watch them and try to see patterns.

Adverts

Board footer