Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-05-04 12:38:54

poplar girl
Administrator

97, 98, 99...

I have a hatch finishing today and along with some d'uccles are EO chicks 97, 98, and 99. There were only 3 EO eggs set so the 100th chick will have to wait until next weekend when I have 10 more EO eggs due, those will be the last hatch of the year of eggs from my flock. And then there will be one more hatch of my eggs from Amblecroft which I hope will be very successful as I am excited to include the PQ bloodline in my next year's breeding program.

These EO babies are from 16 different pair matings including 5 different roosters and 15 different hens.

So far only one chick was culled at hatch (he/she would actually represent number 100 if included in the count) with leg problems. One young cockerel died of a heart attach a few weeks ago. One set of curled toes so far and one that developed a mild case of wry neck (he is recovering and will taste just fine I am sure).

No feather stubs, some white shanks (I mated a hen I knew was homozygous for white legs so no suprise there), a fair number of side sprigs from some pairs (again i mated two birds with side sprigs so to be expected) and a rainbow of feather colors. I should say most of the chicks that are all over the map for feather or shank color are where I reached back a couple generations to include hens i had previously skipped over or have not used for a year or two. I figure 3+ year old hens still laying 5+ eggs a week with good type and are worth trying to work into my breeding program.

The end result of over three months of this...100+ baby basques to choose from :chook:

I will have to find time to post pictures of a few of my favorites so far...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2014-05-04 12:38:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-05-04 14:53:02

Flat Rock Farm

Re: 97, 98, 99...

Wow that's a lot of chicks :shock: 

I have had the incubators running straight since Feb. but have no where near that # of babies.  Plus a combination of some fertility issues, which I am holding high hopes that Claire's "Redbud" will help with that :thumbsup:

Can't wait for the :pics:

#3 2014-05-04 21:44:33

karaandblue
Website

Looking forward to seeing them PG!!!! I can't wait for mine!!!  I am finding hatching 100 of each project bird to be tough. But worth it. I have two more hatches to go. When did you start? I just placed my second last hatch in last night so 6 more weeks and finito!!!!
Please add pics if you get a chance!!

#4 2014-05-06 17:20:46

Amblecroft
Website

You'll have lots of exciting news for us all on a real regular basis!  Good for you and good for the breed!

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

Adverts

Board footer