Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-04-24 22:51:04

poplar girl
Administrator

Proposed Changes to APA admission requirements

I got an email from a friend and this is his post on another forum explaining the American Poultry Association's (APA) proposed changes. This may slow down any efforts to have the EOs recognized by the APA for those with that goal in the mind. I am not on Facebook to read more but I am sure many of you are.

k.r.l wrote:

There is a discussion on the APA Facebook group about changes the APA is thinking about making to the Admissions process for New Breeds or Varieties.

The APA is thinking about making a new requirement that all the breeders (5 minimum) must have been members to the APA for 5 years before they can submit the request to APA on starting the Admission Process. The (min 5) breeder would then be need to raise the breed/variety for 5 years (which was required previous).

The APA is also think of increasing the required number of birds shown in the Qualifying Meet from 50 to 100 birds. Previously the each of the breeders are required to show an equal number of each sex and age of birds. So this will now mean that if the minimum 5 breeders were to meet all other requirements, they would need to show 20 birds each that pass with out disqualifications and conform to the standard uniformly enough.

What are your thoughts on these potential changes that the APA is looking at implementing?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2014-04-24 22:51:04

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-04-25 14:05:45

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Proposed Changes to APA admission requirements

For those that are members of WCPS forum you may wish to read this thread:
http://wcps.forumotion.ca/t10043-apa-re … ties#88265

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2014-04-25 14:08:11

poplar girl
Administrator

Heather Is the current Western Canada APA representative:

viczoe wrote:

Very good post Toybarons. Personally I agree that it is time for the APA to make some changes to how new breeds are recognized and I think at the very least said breeders should be previous members of the APA. I think this will improve the integrity of the process. Now of course as your district director for the APA I have to vote with what the general feeling of the members in this district, so a very good topic KRL, which I will be watching.

Heather

#4 2014-04-25 14:13:45

poplar girl
Administrator

I did post a response, not sure I was wise to do so but this is what I wrote:

poplar girl wrote:

I think it's fair to say I understand the intent but I disagree with aspects of how the APA is going about this. And I think perhaps this is just a visual symptom of a deeper concern I have with the APA.

Let me start by saying I am an fairly new APA member (for 3 years now I think). I own an SOP and reference it fairly often. I do respect the APA and it's long history in North America. And I see value in having breeds and varieties recognized by the APA. I am also pretty new to poultry, breeding poultry, showing poultry. I have a lot to learn but I do want to learn.

I am working with others (also all relatively new to breeding poultry, most not current members of the APA) and we are in the process (paperwork to the government has been submitted) of establishing a formal society for a new breed that we hoped to eventually have recognized by the APA. In general we are trying our best to set ourselves up in a way that will allow the APA to take us seriously.

As we quietly try to set up our breed society we have been working on a draft SOP, writting a breed history, develop a logo that will meet APA requirements (easy, round) and gather details on the process for APA recognition of new breeds and varieties as it is not spelled out with all details in the published SOP.

In my experience so far information is difficult to get from the the APA and correspondence to them so far has gone unanswered. I personally have also had a bad experience with an APA judge at a show making it clear he really wanting to have anything to do with my unrecognized breed. I do realize it is not fair to paint the APA with a broad brush as a result of one or two negative experience but it was very discouraging.

The reasons the APA wants to change the rules for recognition of new breeds and varieties to make it a longer process with a higher level of commitment shown to the APA and larger numbers of birds required for the qualifying meet do make sense to me. I believe I understand the behaviors and level of commitment that they hope to garner as a result of these changes. By requiring the breeders to be APA members for 5 years prior to anything else it would more or less prevents any groups that do not have close ties to the APA already from trying unless they are very patient and dedicated and willing to commit a decade to the process. By requiring larger numbers at the qualifying meet it should help ensure that the breed has sufficient depth to it so that it will be around for years to come. But it also means that either more breeders or bigger breeders must be very committed as each must be a 10 year APA member with 5 years experience with pretty large numbers of the breed.

As a person pretty new to all this who is trying, with a group of other pretty dedicated folks, to work with the current system I have to say the APA has already made me and my chosen breed feel pretty unworthy and unwelcome and we have not even really gotten started yet. I am sad to say if these new proposed changes are layered on top of the existing problems it may make the process so daunting that peoplewhist give up. I am not sure how many breeds and varieties will survive this ordeal and become recognized by the APA going forward if these changes are made. Is that also the intent, to make it almost impossible for new breeds and varieties to be added?

To summarize what I am trying to say, in my opinion, the APA really needs to take a hard look at what results they are trying to achieve and whether these changes will provide those results. If we want membership in the APA to grow, if we want new people to become poultry enthusiasts and to attend shows and ultimately help keep the APA alive then we need to meet people in the middle. It is easy to say "well just breed and show a breed and variety already recognized by the APA" but there are people out there that aren't interested in that. If the APA wants to make the process of having a new breed recognized more stringent and take longer than they need to provide more help and support to people for those years along the way. Make it fun, make people feel welcome, take the time to mentor, give new people the benefit of the doubt. Some people will disappoint of course but hopefully some will stick with it. With no change to the attitude and approach plus a change to the rules I unfortunately believe the result will be to further reduce and narrow the number or people interested in involvement in poultry through the APA. I hope that is not the intent.

Specific to the changes proposed I would suggest softening the changes. Instead of 5 years membership perhaps 2 years? Instead of 100 birds perhaps 75? And some consideration and perhaps tempering of the disappointment this will cause to people who have taken the time to understand the current rules and are already working towards having a new breed or variety recognized should also be given.

#5 2014-04-25 14:31:11

Susan
Administrator

Very well written PG. You made some valid points. I hope they take it into consideration.

#6 2014-04-25 14:46:23

la-chicken

Wow. 
PG I think you voiced the concerns wonderfully.
I think it is true they need to remember the newbies and mentoring increased across the APA.

Like you stated having a judge walk right by your breed and basically calling it junk is heartbreaking.  At times, the APA appears to be a closed group and non welcoming to the newbies. 
Do you think the flood of designer colours is more the issue rather than a breed recognized in another country? 
Keep up the great work and thanks for the posting.

I am very new to this breed.  Bring on the learning!!!

#7 2014-04-25 20:36:42

Flat Rock Farm

@ PG :applause: well said, I hope your voice is heard!!

#8 2014-04-25 23:13:54

poplar girl
Administrator

You know the more I think in it the more I think 50 birds for a breed qualifying meet is enough. How many rare large fowl breeders of breeds recognized by the APA have more than 20 uniform birds that confirm to the SOP with none having disqualifications? That's a lot of birds. 10 per breeder as the rules are now seems a more appropriate number.

Sorry for my ranting guys :oops:, this just frustrates me. I understand the APAs desire to ensure breeders are serious and have quality poultry before taking up APA time and resources but I do not believe these new proposed rules are the right way to go.

#9 2014-04-25 23:36:21

Maggiesdad

I agree with you 100%, PG.  What they are proposing is just...    well it's just chicken****!  :P

We are gonna rock on no matter what they do. :hi:

#10 2014-04-25 23:51:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

Now that's a statement that made me smile :happycrowd"

#11 2014-04-26 01:14:28

Flat Rock Farm

Maggiesdad wrote:

I agree with you 100%, PG.  What they are proposing is just...    well it's just chicken****!  :P

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: we sure are MD!!!

Adverts

Board footer