Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-03-21 02:31:57

Island Girl

A lovely way to celebrate spring!

:hatch:  I have EO chicks hatching today and realized that it is the first day of spring. Our spring weather is behind like everyone else seems to be but somehow being able to say it is spring feels really good.

XOX Monika

2014-03-21 02:31:57

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-03-21 02:39:39

yardbirds

Re: A lovely way to celebrate spring!

:jumping: :congrats:

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#3 2014-03-21 13:17:31

poplar girl
Administrator

That must be why my d'uccle eggs all popped a day early...they wanted to be born on the first day of spring :hatch:
We had a warm past couple weeks here, above average temperatures, but back down to -17C overnight last night.

:congrats: on your EOs Monika, how many have you hatched so far this year?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2014-03-21 14:54:26

karaandblue
Website

Very nice babies (saw the photo on ACE)!
Congrats on your hatch!

#5 2014-03-21 16:04:35

Island Girl

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/Mobile%20Uploads/20140320_212351_zps46e1944f.jpg

oops, I should be posting a picture here too  :whistle:

Congrats on your d'Uccles :thumbs: I just set some Porcelain Booted Bantams and am very very excited about how they will turn out!

pg I only have 28 EO chicks of various ages hatched so far but the 3 incubators are full. My plan is to hatch out enough birds so that  Debbie and I each end up with 12 new hens and about 24 roos for my freezer. I think if I hatch out around 50 chicks that should cover it. Ay extra hens will be sold locally. Once I have enough chicks hatched out for ourselves (and if  I have any energy left, lol, I may sell eggs again this year).

XOX Monika

#6 2014-03-21 19:34:59

Flat Rock Farm

:congrats: what cuties!! :love:

#7 2014-03-22 00:36:23

Micah and Kiah

Wonderful!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#8 2014-03-22 13:05:28

aarzuaga

Zorionak :congrats::jumping::applause::cheer::ikurrina:

#9 2014-03-22 14:21:02

poplar girl
Administrator

Island Girl wrote:

pg I only have 28 EO chicks of various ages hatched so far but the 3 incubators are full. My plan is to hatch out enough birds so that  Debbie and I each end up with 12 new hens and about 24 roos for my freezer. I think if I hatch out around 50 chicks that should cover it. Ay extra hens will be sold locally. Once I have enough chicks hatched out for ourselves (and if  I have any energy left, lol, I may sell eggs again this year).

XOX Monika

I think I am at about 46 EO chicks as of today. My plan is similar to yours, keep the best pullets although I am not sure what number that will be. And I would like to keep 2-3 very nice roosters as well. I will sell extra pullets. Extra roosters will mostly go in the freezer.

My issue is in order to keep more roosters I need to get rid of some of the onces I have. Might have to get rid of a few hens as well. I guess we can process them, hate doing it myself :sick:

How are your older chicks looking?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2014-03-22 16:29:55

Island Girl

I so know what you mean about processing the older hens, somehow processing the new cockerels and the odd 'bad boy' roo is something I seem to be able to do now BUT the hens oh dear me how will I be able to do that and really should I??? Some of the hens are my original stock from the very first eggs I got from Claire and then Susan too. Should a person really cull them now because they are older or should they stay in the breeding plan very simply BECAUSE they are from Claire's first roo.  I really don't know and am very hesitant to do so. I am thinking more about the genetic side of this vs the legistics of keeping too many birds  ...  I need to be sure I am doing the right thing for the breed. Again you know me thinking it to death  :oops:  hmmm I am feeling the need for a new thread pg shall we??    :happycrowd"

XOX Monika

#11 2014-03-22 18:27:53

poplar girl
Administrator

Yep new thread which I see you have started, following you over....

Adverts

Board footer