Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-03-10 02:34:27

la-chicken

Price for Culls?

I have no idea what to charge for culls ( young adults).:huh:
I can make a pair or is it just better to eat them. :eat:

I am very new to this breed.  Bring on the learning!!!

2014-03-10 02:34:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-03-10 11:20:21

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Price for Culls?

Well opinions on what is best may differ la chicken but I have had good success finding homes in urban or barnyard layer flocks for the cull pullets. I try not to sell a rooster with them and make it clear I consider them " pet/layer" quality so I mostly :eat: the boys. I have charged as much as $30 a pullet and as little as given them to a friend for free. In central Alberta there seems to be a good market for friendly laying hens.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2014-03-10 12:20:12

la-chicken

PG- Thanks, sometimes you need to hear your thoughts from others. 

I am planning what to do if I hatch tons from my own stock.  I already planned not to sell chicks.  I want to grow out all chicks then cull out.
And yes, PG  I will be looking to you for some help.  I need to deveolp an educated eye.

I am very new to this breed.  Bring on the learning!!!

#4 2014-03-10 13:26:20

Flat Rock Farm

I know I have 4 culls (hens) right now that I am asking $10.00 each for, they are 2 years old and still laying and I have had not 1 person interested in them.  I have had them advertised for a month now :huh:

#5 2014-03-10 13:40:13

hollowridge

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

I know I have 4 culls (hens) right now that I am asking $10.00 each for, they are 2 years old and still laying and I have had not 1 person interested in them.  I have had them advertised for a month now :huh:

I think some people are scared about the age, they may be used to the co-op bird that is done laying at 2 years.  Maybe just a though, :shock: if we were closer they would be gone.

#6 2014-03-10 14:22:58

Flat Rock Farm

Well I even stated in my ad that this breed is know for their longevity in egg production and that they don't have that burn out like commercial layers.  Oh well if I don't sell them they will just stay on as egg layers am just a bit tight for space what with hatching season.

#7 2014-03-13 01:57:36

riverbendfarm
Website

That is strange FRF. I constantly have people asking me to sell them adult hens for $10.00 and I'm constantly saying NO WAY. I will be selling some culls this summer and I need to hatch a whack more of my own. The sheer numbers you must hatch to get a dozen decent birds is criminal!

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#8 2014-03-13 10:25:06

Flat Rock Farm

I don't understand it either as I have never had any trouble selling hens.  Maybe it's the time of year?? :huh:

Yes you do have to hatch a lot to get some decent birds.............

#9 2014-03-13 17:03:57

gubi
Website

Time of the year and price too low!  The sun is shining in Ontario and in a few days/weeks/months whenever this winter is done everyone will be so ready for spring and they'll be begging for laying hens again!  I know for myself here I haven't even set up breeding pens yet it has been so cold.  I hope yesterday's snowstorm and last night's -30 windchill were our last for the year!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

Adverts

Board footer