Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-09 04:23:51

Island Girl

Are irregular air sacks OK?

I am noticing a few eggs with irregular air sacks when I am candling. I know there are definitely chicks developing in the egg but I have never really seen air sacks like this before. The eggs are due to hatch in 6 more days but I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it has any affect on the developing or hatching chick.

XOX Monika

2011-09-09 04:23:51

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-09 11:41:23

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Are irregular air sacks OK?

Monika, it you are concerned, make sure you hatch them vertically. It shouldn't matter what shape the air sac too much as long as it is big enough and not moving. 

It's wierd, I had never seen really weird airsacs til this summer when I candled the broody eggs, I guess well after the 18 days, the cell was 3/4 of the eggs, but I think the chicks were though it and hatched just hours after.  But I did notice even around the 14 day mark some looked like lobed.  Again, I figured due to the broody not turning them as efficiently as a incubator.  Is you turner working?

Check your turner is really working, and lockdown with the pointy end down, upright not laid on the side.  It really does work.  :thumbsup:  Good luck

#3 2011-09-09 12:47:17

poplar girl
Administrator

Yep, When I take out the turner at lockdown I put the eggs in the bottom of a carton. I usually use a cardboard carton and cut some extra holes in it (probably completely unnecessary but I worry) so air can flow under the eggs. Even tiny little d'uccle eggs from Ontario managed to hatch with that method. :thumbs:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-09-09 12:57:38

Susan
Administrator

I had lots of weird shaped air cells this year too. Follow the tips Claire mentioned and you'll be fine. They didn't seem to affect hatchability

#5 2011-09-09 15:40:13

Island Girl

Thanks for the advice! I use a Brinsea Octagon 20 with turner (newish) so all is well with the turner etc and I have done my last couple hatches in cut down egg cartons too. I just didn't feel right laying the eggs on their sides when in fact they had been incubating all along upright so I cut down a plastic egg carton to help hold them upright once I removed the egg dividers on day 18. I like the idea of holes on the bottom too for air circulation, I will also do that. I guess my concern was that the little chicks just didn't have a chance with 'deformed' air sacks, I'm just glad to hear that it shouldn't affect hatchability. :jumping:

http://www.cbotkin.ca/Online_Store/Incu … 300rgb.jpg

XOX Monika

#6 2011-09-09 15:56:13

poplar girl
Administrator

Love my Octagon 20 with turner. I have the humidity pump too. :love:

I think it will be fine!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2011-09-09 16:10:31

Island Girl

Oh awesome you have a humidity pump :love: Can tell me more about how it works please?

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer