Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-03-06 21:12:34

hollowridge

Merging Flocks

Advice or experience needed with merging two of our flocks together? =D
We have 3 weeks till this is a MUST, :nervous: so want to know if anyone has done or knows of the best way to bring two flocks together.  We currently have 6 hens and 1 rooster on one side and 3 hens and a rooster on the other, they are fenced off but do see each other all the time.  One rooster will be out of the picture when we merge the two flocks.  3 of the 6 hens are 2 year old girls, set in their ways :wise: and 2 of the 3 hens on the other side are smaller less aggressive girls :chairhide:
Want to make things easiest on them.  Thanks.

2014-03-06 21:12:34

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-03-06 21:51:19

Maggiesdad

Re: Merging Flocks

With just one rooster, you should be fine. There will be some squabbling as the new pecking order is sorted out, but that's normal. Just be on the lookout for blood or abuse. :thumbs:

#3 2014-03-07 00:27:50

gubi
Website

Should be no problem.  If it is possible leave them in the pen where the smaller girls are to give them home advantage.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2014-03-07 12:57:18

poplar girl
Administrator

gubi wrote:

Should be no problem.  If it is possible leave them in the pen where the smaller girls are to give them home advantage.

I agree gubi.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2014-03-07 14:25:45

hollowridge

gubi wrote:

That is the biggest problem.  The two little girls and the rooster have to move over to the bigger side to make room for the chicks.  I wish we could do it the other way around but we need the more room for all of them.

#6 2014-03-07 18:59:01

yardbirds

I would take one of the 2 yr old hens and place her in the younger flocks space,  after a week put another one in, and then after another week, the third before combining the whole flock.  You will still have to watch the dominant hens but 3 on 1 should be easier on the timid ones at first...get them used to any scraps that will undoubtedly happen.

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#7 2014-03-14 14:13:29

hollowridge

Update:  All birds together and doing GREAT, better then we could have hoped for. :jumping:  We opened up both outside runs 2 days ago and let them mingle. It was a mild day and I spent a few hours out there with them.  It was like they were together the whole time. :happycrowd" (Could have been because only a wire separated them, that they knew each other.)  A few tiny little " I am head of this pack" shows and that was that. :thumbs:  We opened up the inside (took down the wire) for the next two weeks before we put it back up so that we can move the little ones out.  Very proud of our girls and gentleman. :love: They are even sleeping together on the roost and laying in different nestboxes. :cheer:

#8 2014-03-14 15:22:45

poplar girl
Administrator

:thumbs: that's great hollowridge! I always worry like you putting new birds together as things can go sideways fast.

I am finding the more often I mix mine up the less fuss they cause when I do make changes. Sort of like they are used to change so it's not such a big deal.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2014-03-14 15:50:52

Flat Rock Farm

That is great news!! :thumbsup:  As PG said things can go bad quick!!

Great to hear :happycrowd"

Adverts

Board footer