Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-02-21 12:40:54

Flat Rock Farm

Chicken Stew

We don't eat a lot of beef, so this is my version of stew but with chicken.  It's easy and good winter comfort food.  Enjoy :wine:

3 - med to large potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
2-3 carrots peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery chopped
1 med onion thick cut chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup, use the can and fill that with one part water
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken
Then I spice it up with lemon pepper, poultry seasoning, parsley and a bit of garlic seasoning.

Put all ingredients together in a large skillet or pot with a lid and simmer on medium until vegetables are cooked.
Serve with fresh bread or my favorite garlic toast.

:eat:

2014-02-21 12:40:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-02-21 14:15:56

Susan
Administrator

Re: Chicken Stew

:thumbsup:  :wine:
Sounds awesome! I use the Barefoot Contessa recipe and it is divine. It uses a tonne of butter though- so I may have to try yours! Little more calorie friendly!!

#3 2014-02-21 14:22:07

poplar girl
Administrator

Sounds yummy FRF :eat:

I should post our recipe for chicken (or turkey) bolognese sauce. It's SO good. We started making ground chicken and turkey this fall to increase the number of ways we can eat them and I wish we had of thought of it sooner! Leaner than ground beef and super tasty.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2014-02-21 15:07:35

Flat Rock Farm

Susan wrote:

:thumbsup:  :wine:
Sounds awesome! I use the Barefoot Contessa recipe and it is divine. It uses a tonne of butter though- so I may have to try yours! Little more calorie friendly!!

Well............ :whistle:  I must admit once I serve myself up a bowl I do add some butter :chairhide:

Would love to see recipes for bolognese sauce and the Barefoot Contessa version. :eat:

#5 2014-02-21 23:30:44

Maggiesdad

Yum, FRF! Will have to try this one.

This is our go to stew for cold winter days...

1 - 3 or 4lb rooster simmered in the crock pot til the meat is falling of the bone
        (cut up in pieces with water to cover, 3 cloves garlic, celery core or tops, 6 to 9hrs {overnight} depending on the age of the bird)

Next morning pull the meat, reserve some for chicken salad, strain the stock water and return it to the pot the stew will be simmering in.

Add to the chicken stock:

1 qt canned tomatoes (chop a little if they're still big)
1 pint cut corn
2 large potatoes, cubed
same size pile of sliced carrots
1 large onion
3 more cloves garlic
2 celery stalks chopped
1 pint green peas
1 cup wild rice or pearl barley

If there's cabbage, sweet peppers or green beans laying around, you can throw them in there too. Or not.

If liquid is low, add water to cover veggies by about an inch. Bring to a boil and skim the foam after about 2 - 3 min of boiling, then add

1 tsp coarse black pepper
chicken meat

cut heat back and simmer on low 'til veggies are tender. This is even better the second day if you can hold off eating it that long.

Serve piping hot with saltines and sharp cheddar. Salt to taste in the serving bowls keeps everybody happy.

Last edited by Maggiesdad (2014-02-21 23:34:21)

#6 2014-02-22 01:58:15

Flat Rock Farm

Oh MD that sounds good, I will have to try it. :eat:

Thanks!!

Adverts

Board footer