Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-07 02:21:24

poplar girl
Administrator

Some pictures of my winter coop

It doesn't feel like it with temperatures of almost 30C (the warmest we have seen all summer) but fall and then winter are just around the corner. In my area temperatures get down to the mid -40C's (which is also -40F's) for a week or two each winter, sometimes colder. So from about mid November until April my chickens generally don't get to go outside. And per square foot they don't get the recommended 3 square feet per bird either but last winter it worked out okay.

I finally finished the top coat (lime and sand mud) on my winter coop this weekend. It is insulated with straw bales but has traditional 2x4 frame under all that. The inside is divided into 2 halves. One side with the pop door to the outside in summer is for the laying hens complete with a vent fan on a humidity control, built in nest boxes and roosts, a nipple water system (will be redesigned before winter). I wall pen will likely be built above the roosts before winter.

The other side has the man door, wall pens, and access to the nest boxes. Sometimes I keep chickens on the floor but prefer to just keep that open for storage and as a chicken exercising and handling area.

I keep the air temperature in the coop at about 10-15C using an electric oil filled wall heater. When it is super cold outside the floor is still below zero (water will freeze) even with several inches of foam insulated cement and foot thick walls.

Still a bit of work to do but very close to complete. I am thinking a red door and trim.

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/e5fde8f1.png
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/1fae9084.png
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/004-2.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/014-4.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/StawBaleContruction.jpg

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-09-07 02:21:24

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-07 03:43:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Some pictures of my winter coop

Beautiful!  Finally done, eh?  I think I'd want to live in there if it was -40!  :congrats: on getting it done, and on the fine weather! 

It went from about 30 before the weekend to 11*C here yesterday and raining, as I had put my 2 weeks old out in tractors.  The Mommas are keeping them warm though, no heat lamps required.

#3 2011-09-07 12:54:24

Susan
Administrator

Stunning! I've been waiting to see it. I think I need plans- I would like to build one :). Tell me you didn't build that all by yourself- if you did, I think Auntie PG needs to come visit her babies for Oh, let's say a week...... ;)

#4 2011-09-08 03:39:34

poplar girl
Administrator

Auntie PG had ALOT of help from her DH the engineer. And based on how long this building took Auntie PG and her DH would need to move in for about a month :Crazy: I wish we had built it larger but the idea of a bigger building also makes me want to cry. It was not hard to do, just SO time consuming.

There is a cool flax bale house at Craik Susan. Even more traditionally built than ours.

Gotta say though, when you are inside it feels pretty secure. DH says if the world goes to heck in a hand basket we are moving into the winter coop though. Not sure if he realizes the chickens were there first so we will need to work around them?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-09-09 22:10:06

ChestnutRidge
Website

This looks amazing.  Not only is it beautiful, the r-value must be out of this world.  I love the simple practicality.  Thanks for sharing!

#6 2011-09-09 23:57:56

gubi
Website

:thumbsup:  How many EO's does this beauty hold?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2011-09-10 02:38:22

Island Girl

Wow that is incredible! Did you do a cost breakdown of it? Not including the blood/sweat and tears factor of course!! You two should be very proud of yourselves, what an accomplishment that you will be able to look at for years to come. :congrats:

XOX Monika

#8 2011-09-10 04:53:51

poplar girl
Administrator

Thanks everyone! I really do love my little coop!

I don't really know how much it cost to build. We really didn't keep track. Probably not too terribly expensive for materials comparatively. Lots of cement, some 2x4s, OSB, nails, a door, tin...not much else.

I plan to house about 15 hens, 4 roosters and 5 little d'uccles in there this winter. It will be a pretty tight fit but I think it will be okay. Last winter I had 15 hens, 1 large rooster and a pair of silkies and it was no problem.

Will post pictures of the new waterer once we get it built, I think it will be a really good design.

#9 2011-09-11 02:23:58

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sounds awesome. Looking forward to the waterer pics, your other ones looks great too.  We run heat trace on a hose pipe and just fill the waterers manually (and they have a heat trace) which is easier than what we used to do! :banginghead:

#10 2011-09-11 11:47:09

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Wow, what a great building, cozy and warm.  Your chooks should winter very well in there.  I really enjoyed looking at the pic's  Thanks  :jumping:

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

Adverts

Board footer