Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2014-02-03 13:54:01

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Set Eggs

Island Girl wrote:

Oh wonderful Md that sounds like a great hatch! Sometimes on day 21 I just start baking or doing whatever I can to get my mind occupied with something else. I tend to wear a path into the floors of the hallway checking on those eggs  :oops: you would think that this hatching stuff would get 'old' but it just doesn't.

XOX Monika

You sound like me!!!  :funny:

I'm like the kids you see if front of the candy store window with their faces plastered to the glass =D

2014-02-03 13:54:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2014-02-03 19:05:53

Island Girl

gubi wrote:

Nice MD, I wish I could hatch some EO's already too but it will be a while here yet!

IG, FRF could do but would be later.  I won't separate my breeders until it warms up a bit and I want to hatch as many EO's as possible for myself first.  One of the two porcelain bantams is now broodie so not too many tiny eggs right now!  I think they are as bad as the silkies?

I have sent you an e-mail  :excited: your pm box is full. My silkies are still the broodiest little things around here and I have not found the Porcelain's to be broody. I kinda wish they were in the sense that I would like to see one of them hatch out some babies but I will incubate these eggs myself so that I can be a little more in control of them, unless of course my good silkie mama goes broody again. She might just find herself very spoiled and in a special place with these eggs when I get them. Thanks for this opportunty Stefan  =D

XOX Monika

#28 2014-02-04 22:07:36

Micah and Kiah

Tonight we are opening the incubator and for the first time I am NOT looking forward to it.  :rain:  Based on candling, there should have been around 70 chicks popping BUT something bad happened.  I thought I could smell an awful, strong chemical smell near the incubator.  I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.  The strongest thing I keep there is apple cider vinegar!  The horrible smell made me feel sick and headachy. :sick:  I mentioned it to Micah but due to his cold, he couldn't smell anything.  We both felt fine when away from that area and the cat, dogs and house chickens were fine. Then last night, he went to put something in the root cellar and discovered the problem.  (The incubator room is beside the root cellar. ) Micah stores any strong smelling stuff like solvents in there because they'd freeze in the shop over winter.  Well, it got so cold that one of the containers froze and busted open, just a crack but enough to send those toxic fumes right to my new hatching babies.  I only hear a couple cheaping voices in the bator.  :rain:  I am dreading opening. it.  I am also concerned about how the toxic fumes might have affected the developing, fertile eggs that aren't due until later this month.  :rain:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#29 2014-02-04 23:28:08

hollowridge

Oh our heart goes out to you.:hug:  But we are sending the best of wishes and hopefully all will turn out good.  Good luck and let us know.

#30 2014-02-05 01:56:42

Flat Rock Farm

Oh M&K here's hoping that they are fine and you will have a healthy :chickout:

#31 2014-02-05 18:27:03

Island Girl

Oh no M&K what an awful sinking feeling, I hope all will be well. Let us know how things progress and best wishes to Micah to get over that dreaded cold quickly!

XOX Monika

#32 2014-02-10 13:37:14

hollowridge

Hi have the results of Day 8 Candling.  41 eggs in 19 Riverbend eggs =17 looks great 2 look clear.  8 of our E.O. eggs; 3 look bad, one totally acts like water, 1 clear looking and 1 with 2 red lines only (not a ring just lines) of the 14 cross eggs 12 look good and 2 are clear (all from the same hen, who is faster than the roosters that we had seen) Tried her anyway cause we thought 6 hens one roo, winter time what are the odds?  Well we found out!!!

We are very disappointed in this result; we are kicking our butts for not putting in some of the other eggs we had to choose from. :stomp: I guess it was a lesson that we learned but for us doing only one hatch it is a hard one. 
Our Marraduna eggs we should have left out.:(  We were having troubles with both with soft shells and nothing we do seems to help some days better than others.  It had improved to the point we though let’s try, a good roo and see what we get.  The shells are still way to thin; getting very high weight loss compared to the other eggs that are right on target for 13% or a little less loss. 
We haven’t thrown any out yet but tonight day 10 we will check the bad ones again and toss.:shock:  We were thinking of putting our E.O. eggs in the center closest to the moisture tray to see if that helps any with the loss for them we are already day 8 at 10-13% loss.
So a few question please:
1:  what are the two red lines?
2: why would some be like water? (had one that we didn’t use due to that)
3:  Anything we can do about the thin shell ones without risking the others?
4: Any other advice you want to give.

:thanks:

#33 2014-02-10 13:56:23

Flat Rock Farm

Well I think that you have quite a few that ARE good, that's great.  I always fill the incubator as much as I can with extras as there is always a % that either don't develop, quit early or make it to the end and don't hatch. :sad:

1:  what are the two red lines?
The red lines are the start of development then it quits for what ever reason.

2: why would some be like water? (had one that we didn’t use due to that)
Did they get frozen at all??  If they were shipped sometimes they get a bit scrambled.

3:  Anything we can do about the thin shell ones without risking the others?
Sorry I don't have any advise on that one.

4: Any other advice you want to give.
I hope you have a good hatch!! :hatch:

P.S:  My shipped eggs of SFH are coming tomorrow so first set will be Wednesday.  I have 2 broody silkies waiting to hatch these, plus am collecting some EO's and Araucanas for the incubator.  So it begins...............lol :thumbsup:

#34 2014-02-10 14:20:17

hollowridge

Thanks FRF for the help.  The watery eggs were ours from the thin shell.  Was wondering if contamination may be the issue due to the shell.   

And good luck also with your first hatch.

#35 2014-02-10 14:44:42

Flat Rock Farm

Oh might very well be.

Thanks am getting excited to have some fuzzy butts in a few weeks =D

#36 2014-02-10 16:54:58

Island Girl

hollowridge It seems that I am still learning with each hatch. You are doing a great job and you are learning and that is great.  Keep records. .. you will forget which hatch did what  :whistle: great observations and questions too! Good luck and happy hatching vibes coming your way and yours too FRF. I love the excitement that comes with this time of year.

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer