Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-01-31 20:41:52

hollowridge

Set Eggs

Hi,  So excited, we just set 41 eggs in our Hova-Bator. :jumping:  We set 26 Marraduna eggs, 19 from RIVERBEND FARM :applause:; and 7 of our own.  Plus 15 Marraduna x Black Australorp cross.  Can't wait for the next 7 days when we can candle again.  We candled them when we put them in and marked the air sack that we seen so will will have something to go by.
Just had to share!:chickout:

2014-01-31 20:41:52

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-01-31 22:16:33

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Set Eggs

That is exciting :excited: 

Still waiting a bit longer to set any......man it's hard to resist :do?:

Keep us update :thumbs:

#3 2014-01-31 22:16:35

Amblecroft
Website

Good luck!

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#4 2014-01-31 23:13:20

Maggiesdad

:chickout: :chickout: :chickout: Great hatching vibes your way! :chickout: :chickout: :chickout:
My first batch is due out this weekend. :excited:

#5 2014-01-31 23:59:10

poplar girl
Administrator

I hope you get a great hatch!

I am at day 12 with my first few marraduna eggs...can hardly wait!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2014-02-01 01:49:17

gubi
Website

:hatch: I broke down too and have 13 porcelain bantams growing at day 11-12.  My Eo's will have to wait until it warms up when I can seperate them all.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2014-02-01 08:50:59

Island Girl

I couldnt't wait any longer either and set 48 eggs in three brinsea eco 20s. All EO eggs, oh but gubi I am excited to see your Porcelain chicks and am hoping that maybe I can get some eggs from you if your adults are throwing the cleanfaced Booted Bantams! :please:

XOX Monika

#8 2014-02-01 12:08:43

Flat Rock Farm

You guys are killing me............must resit.........a couple weeks more........... :do?:

#9 2014-02-01 13:01:26

hollowridge

:thanks: all for the great vibes, that will help!  :thumbsup:
Good Luck also with you hatches, P.G., Gubi, and I.G.  it is so exciting doing this. :jumping: Did you guys candle at one week?  Did all stay in or did you loose some?  I.G. I know you just set like us so will you candle?
And come on FRF. you know you want to, go for it!! :whistle:

#10 2014-02-01 13:12:47

Maggiesdad

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

You guys are killing me............must resit.........a couple weeks more........... :do?:

Hey Paula, I pulled the tray out last night while I put in more water, and guess what?!...

The eggs were wobbling and PEEPING! :excited:

It was so sweet! The little fluffies are on the way! Yayyy! :chickout: :chickout:

Resistance is futile.  lolz :funny:

#11 2014-02-01 13:40:25

gubi
Website

I put 14 eggs in the incubator, I candled them at day 3-4 and one of the two eggs I put in on Monday looked like it had a blood ring.  I candled them again at day 7 and had 13 /14 growing with the 14th egg being the one that looked like it had a blood ring in it at day 4.  Now the 2 eggs I put in the incubator I just picked the tiny eggs out of my eating eggs so they might have been 2-3 weeks old already and not turned either.  Now the day I set the rest of the eggs I got 3 tiny eggs so I removed the biggest egg of the 3 and another egg I had ready for the incubator that looked the same. I have some silkies too so there might be a couple of silkie crosses coming out of the incubator too.  That little Porcelain cockerel has all my hens under his care.  I was hoping he will stick to his kind but I know better.  I just don't think he would do to well in my rooster pen with all the big boys.
This year will be a bit tricky for me as i want to have all my extra cockerels processed before September but I still have that little tpc in with the hens. :banginghead:
IG my two hens are clean faced too so they are all going to be clean faced unless they are a silkie cross!  :chickout: I don't ship hatching eggs, I don't have the time or desire to do so, local pick up only. sorry

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#12 2014-02-01 16:16:04

Micah and Kiah

OK Flat Rock Farm, why resist?  Our first group is do Monday! :excited:
Best wishes on a great hatch Hollowridge and everyone! 

Gubi, do you think the clean face gene will be dominate?  Since your stock came from mine and their parents all had muffs I wondered if they carried the muff gene?

I'm gonna email you about Partridge Silkies.  I hear they are the best of the silkies for incubating and brooding so I bought some.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#13 2014-02-01 17:00:02

poplar girl
Administrator

Micah and Kiah wrote:

Gubi, do you think the clean face gene will be dominate?  Since your stock came from mine and their parents all had muffs I wondered if they carried the muff gene?

They are codominant (plus modifiers) so two genes for beard/muffs = big full beard/muffs, 1 gene = weak beard. So the chicks may have a weak beard if the rooster has a beard or may be clean faced if he carries one gene. Clean faced x clean faced will always = clean faced.

Hollowridge I wait to candle until about 7-10 days. I find around 8-9 days is ideal because even with dark shelled eggs I can be sure which ones to remove. I usually don't loose too many at the early stage (blood ring) as long as the eggs were not jostled around (shipping) or temperature abused. I do often have little fuzzies that make it to fully develop and then perish in the egg just before hatching. I think it's a humidity thing so in my dry climate I don't keep the humidity too high until a few days before hatch as I think sometimes the chicks are too big (don't loose enough humidity = weight) and can't make it out of the shell. Hopefully I'm right and my hatch rates go up this year!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#14 2014-02-01 17:08:23

hollowridge

Hope we have that good of a rate Gubi.:nervous:

M & K, good luck with your hatch also.  You have to post pictures.  :pics:  Love the little fluffy babies.

PG, you said about the chicks being too big and can't get out.  We found last year that was the case with the ones that didn't hatch, they looked like they were too cramped to move; so do you think we want more humidity in the end (this is what we were thinking) or are you thinking it is the opposite?  Or are you saying to keep the humidity down a little more in the first 18 days? 

Sorry if being a pain, but this will be our second hatch and we are perfectionist in a event that we only have a little control over.:chairhide:

#15 2014-02-01 17:17:31

poplar girl
Administrator

For me (and remember I live in a drier area than you) I let the humidity sit lower than recommended the first 18 days (Averaging around 35% this hatch as that is what filling the tray 2x a day gets me) and then I go up to about 60-65% for lockdown and hatching. I weighted the eggs going in and then at candling so I can check how they are doing for weight loss (on my to do list for today) so I'll let you know how I think I'm doing...but the proof is really in the hatch and it will be a great day when (if) I figure out how to get that consistently high :)

#16 2014-02-01 18:26:52

Flat Rock Farm

Lalala I can't hear you :P.  No I AM waiting!!!!

I have SFH eggs being sent on Feb. 10th, so I am sticking to my guns :gunslinger: and waiting until then.  I want no chicks in the house more than 2 weeks.  I cleaned out my laundry room a couple weeks ago and purged a bunch of stuff I still found that darn dust in things even after I cleaned up after they were all outside.
The dust and smell drive me wild!!

Good luck all with your hatches and look forward to some :pics:

#17 2014-02-01 20:40:45

kenya

Good luck with your hatches!:hatch:

#18 2014-02-02 16:06:29

poplar girl
Administrator

poplar girl wrote:

For me (and remember I live in a drier area than you) I let the humidity sit lower than recommended the first 18 days (Averaging around 35% this hatch as that is what filling the tray 2x a day gets me) and then I go up to about 60-65% for lockdown and hatching. I weighted the eggs going in and then at candling so I can check how they are doing for weight loss (on my to do list for today) so I'll let you know how I think I'm doing...but the proof is really in the hatch and it will be a great day when (if) I figure out how to get that consistently high :)

At around 35% humidity I am right on target for a 13% weight loss by lockdown :thumbs: I think eggs and their shell porosity must adapt to the climate they are in as I know the manual says to keep humidity around 45%. In my dry climate that seems to be too high. Proof will be in the hatch results though. :chickout:

#19 2014-02-02 18:02:31

Micah and Kiah

Maggiesdad, are your chicks popping yet?  Any photos?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#20 2014-02-03 01:35:32

Island Girl

gubi wrote:

I IG my two hens are clean faced too so they are all going to be clean faced unless they are a silkie cross!  :chickout: I don't ship hatching eggs, I don't have the time or desire to do so, local pick up only. sorry

Local pick up only, hmmmmm any takers out there to pick up eggs for me and ship them this way, do I sound desperate? Gubi I do understand, sending hatching eggs can be a thankless chore but I could throw in my firstborn for good measure   ... she eats very little and at 30 is turning out not too badly :chairhide:

So many little chicks expected, yay, it will help us all feel like spring truly is on the way. Lets see now, Maggiesdad do u have new fuzzy butts today? And M & K hear any peeping yet? gubi and pg yours are due next Sunday, lots of happydances next weekend  :excited: and hollowridge, yes I do candle at about 10 days but I wait until my second candleing to toss any eggs as I have made the mistake of tossing too early, not a good feeling! Now having said that I usually candle at 10 days I just candled 16 Chocolate Bantam Eggs  that Debbie and I set only 7 days ago and every one of them is growing. Very exciting!! There are a lot of people on this site hollowridge that know a whole lot more than I do and are very kind about sharing their knowledge, ask away and there will always be someone who can help. :happycrowd"

Happy hatching everyone!
XOX Monika

#21 2014-02-03 03:34:40

Flat Rock Farm

Hey Monika if you want some eggs from Stefan I would be happy to ship them to you.  So you won't have to give up your first born =D.   

Just would have to set something to pick them up, maybe Stefan I could get some EO eggs for myself from you????  :whistle:

Either one of you can PM or email me :thumbsup:

#22 2014-02-03 03:42:53

Maggiesdad

Yes I do! I think maybe 24 babies out of 36 eggs at lockdown? I'm not sure, they run around so fast!  today was hatchday, and I think there is still some action so I'm letting the bator run on through tonight. We just got home from a bowl party... ugh it's been a long day!

These guys are  really cute, I think there's some EOxMarans in there. Pics later! :chickout::chickout::pics:

#23 2014-02-03 05:09:33

Island Girl

Oh wonderful Md that sounds like a great hatch! Sometimes on day 21 I just start baking or doing whatever I can to get my mind occupied with something else. I tend to wear a path into the floors of the hallway checking on those eggs  :oops: you would think that this hatching stuff would get 'old' but it just doesn't.

XOX Monika

#24 2014-02-03 05:22:35

Island Girl

Hey Monika if you want some eggs from Stefan I would be happy to ship them to you.  So you won't have to give up your first born .   Just would have to set something to pick them up, maybe Stefan I could get some EO eggs for myself from you????  Either one of you can PM or email me 

Pming you as fast as my little fingers can type, woohoo!

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2014-02-03 05:24:16)

#25 2014-02-03 13:07:50

gubi
Website

Nice MD, I wish I could hatch some EO's already too but it will be a while here yet!

IG, FRF could do but would be later.  I won't separate my breeders until it warms up a bit and I want to hatch as many EO's as possible for myself first.  One of the two porcelain bantams is now broodie so not too many tiny eggs right now!  I think they are as bad as the silkies?

Adverts

Board footer