Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#51 2014-02-02 02:10:32

Micah and Kiah

Re: Somebody...

Our grow-out pen (a mix of meat boys and a few potential breeders of Marans, Barnevelders of varieties of EOs)  A few of the bravest boys came out today to see what the giant white thing was!

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/IMG_1732_zps30c44354.jpg

Last edited by Micah and Kiah (2014-02-02 02:12:45)

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

2014-02-02 02:10:32

AdBot
Advertisements

#52 2014-02-02 03:48:20

Maggiesdad

That's a great shot!

I love it! :love:

#53 2014-02-02 14:17:30

gubi
Website

I was up in Grey county yesterday,  WOW the snowbanks on Grey road 40 are as tall as these but come down almost to the center line in some spots! 
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1779918_10151851320832234_770148586_n.jpg

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#54 2014-02-02 16:03:25

poplar girl
Administrator

:shock: I don't think I would be driving down a road with snow cliffs like those :nervous:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#55 2014-02-02 16:06:49

Flat Rock Farm

Love the picture Kathy!!!

Heck gubi I wish I was in Texas.  I can believe the snow is that high up your way.  I have seen some pictures up the Bruce Peninsula, Lion's Head, people are walking on snow as high as the top of the road signs.  Tobermory you can get around the village but can't get out of town.  Stores are running low on supplies and some gas stations are out of gas.  Hwy.# 6 is still closed past Wiarton.  Hope SLF is fine, have sent her an email yesterday but have heard nothing yet from her.

Lost bird #5 last night :sad:

#56 2014-02-02 17:51:31

Micah and Kiah

Gubi I wish you and the family had called and stopped in!  It would have been great to see you!  :happycrowd"

Thank you for your compliments on the photo, Micah took it yesterday.

Yes, the snow banks are crazy here but now quite snow cliffs yet!  They are big enough that when wind picks up the white outs are instant and stop the traffic.  Maybe yesterday's wet snow will hold the banks down.

Sorry you lost a 5th one FRF  :hug:   The rapid changes of temperature are starting to stress out some of ours.  We are getting a few sniffles and coughs now in the pullet pen.  I was thinking of putting them on Tylan.  Any advice?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#57 2014-02-02 20:11:47

gubi
Website

This is what I do M&K in our barn I try to get as much fresh air into it as possible.  In our dairy barn it stays just above freezing during cold spells and as soon as it warms up a bit outside I open up doors and windows and air everything out to keep the temperature inside constant.  I have my door on the chicken coop open unless it's below -20 or a north wind!  Fresh air = healthy animals.  This winter is a challenge that's for sure!
With all the snow on the road on my trip home, I could have stopped in as Rita and our helper had to get all the chores done without me as it took me twice as long to get home as it took me to get there.  I had to stop in at timmies in Mt Forest on the way home to ask one of the guys working to help me to turn on the cell phone dad gave me along! :chairhide: I thought it ran out of batteries but wasn't sure as it didn't want to turn on no matter what button I pushed.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#58 2014-02-02 21:36:27

Flat Rock Farm

No one has come down with the sniffles.  The 2 cockerels I lost had frostbitten feet and the 3 pullets just found dead on the floor in the morning.  On decent days the windows always get opened, unless it's blowing a gale and or frigid temps.  Plus the loses have been the "fancy breeds" don't think they are as hardy :huh:

#59 2014-02-03 00:16:19

Micah and Kiah

so sorry FRF

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#60 2014-02-03 00:34:05

gubi
Website

Paula at least you know the breeders you have left are stronger birds and should transmit stronger offspring.

#61 2014-02-03 00:36:38

Micah and Kiah

Gubi I've been told that on alot of Grey county roads the snow cliffs are scaring people! Your advice is really helpful. We've been keeping the tights to coops, and that is making it too most on the warm days. We'll make some changes.  :oops:

gubi wrote:

This is what I do M&K in our barn I try to get as much fresh air into it as possible.  In our dairy barn it stays just above freezing during cold spells and as soon as it warms up a bit outside I open up doors and windows and air everything out to keep the temperature inside constant.  I have my door on the chicken coop open unless it's below -20 or a north wind!  Fresh air = healthy animals.  This winter is a challenge that's for sure!
With all the snow on the road on my trip home, I could have stopped in as Rita and our helper had to get all the chores done without me as it took me twice as long to get home as it took me to get there.  I had to stop in at timmies in Mt Forest on the way home to ask one of the guys working to help me to turn on the cell phone dad gave me along! :chairhide: I thought it ran out of batteries but wasn't sure as it didn't want to turn on no matter what button I pushed.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#62 2014-02-03 00:37:09

Flat Rock Farm

Thanks Kathy, it really has been sad. :sad:

Your right Stefan, and the EO's and the rumpless Araucanas seem to be the strongest with no loses. :thumbsup:

#63 2014-02-03 02:19:25

Island Girl

Sorry Paula that the winter is being so tough on you and your flock :hug:  I had an EO hen just drop last week as well,  no warning of any kind :huh:

Great photos guys!!

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer