Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-01-23 12:38:32

Maggiesdad

Somebody...

Left the door open in CANADA! :gunslinger:

Brrrrrrr. 3°F this morning.....  :snowman:

2014-01-23 12:38:32

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-01-23 13:41:52

gubi
Website

Re: Somebody...

it was only around -20C this morning, iot must be helping a bit;)  yesterday morning it was -28C!  We had a first time ewe lamb yesterday morning, why do they lamb at the coldest possible time?  This was after a warm bath and few hours in the house, she was stiff when Rita found her.  She seems to be doing good now and is back out in the shed with mom.
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/1511810_10151851075961227_1671118980_n.jpg

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2014-01-23 16:40:06

Island Girl

i just hate it When someone leaves the door open like that, lol. What a dear little lamb  gubi. Are you epecting more babies in this weather? I would be such a worrier :nervous:

XOX Monika

#4 2014-01-23 20:39:33

Flat Rock Farm

No MD I think someone left the door open to the North Pole!!  :stomp:

I am so done with this cold, frozen water line, loosing 3 birds, frostbitten comb and wattles :banginghead:

Bring on Spring :excited:

Oh gubi what a sweet lamb, boy lucky Rita found her when she did :thumbsup:

#5 2014-01-24 00:13:50

gubi
Website

IG our two old girls are almost wider then they are tall and have been uddering up for a bit already.  I've been expecting to have a few lambs from them, hopefully not too many!  I wasn't even sure this girl was pregnant, sometimes they don't have lambs until their second year.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2014-01-24 02:26:39

poplar girl
Administrator

Well whomever opened the door should keep it open....it's +3C here today and It's supposed to stay warm all weekend!

Gubi...watch that lamb for pneumonia. We lost one in mater of days a few years ago after she got cold at birth.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2014-01-24 13:58:41

Flat Rock Farm

Aw gee PG +3, that a heat wave =D  Lucky you!!

Lost bird #4 today :sad:.
Total count:
1 - Swedish Flower Pullet
1 - Brabanter cockerel
2 - Coronation Sussex Pullets
All birds where young and hatched the same time mid August 2013.  All succumbed in the overnight hours, been feeding warm mash mixed with cooked ground beef, macaroni and honey.  Plus warm water given pretty much ever hour through the day :huh:

There seems to be no real break in the cold until the end of next week.  A bit milder for Sat, & Sun. but winds to pick up today with gusts up to 70km/hr.  So that pumps up the good old wind chill temps.  :banginghead:

#8 2014-01-24 14:29:57

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh I am so sorry about your birds FRF :sad: it must be heartbreaking. :hug:

I take my answer back...whoever opened the door can close it if they wish to. I would take the cold back out my way to help you out if I could as since we expect long periods of cold every winter i have facilities designed for those conditions and I know my birds will be okay.

The winds are the worst...we have had lots of wind here to and it really is aweful.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2014-01-24 14:49:43

Flat Rock Farm

Thanks PG it is heartbreaking and I was in tears this morning as today was the 2nd CS, lost the other one yesterday.

Well now that DH has his new shop and has most of his things out of the bottom of the barn I am going to build coops for them for next winter.  There is still a dividing wall were the old horse stalls used to be so that will be my start, plus open up the boarded up windows to give them light.  It stays warmer down there and will be the best place for the EO's, SFH and CS who have the larger combs.  At least I have not lost an EO........yet!! :nervous:

#10 2014-01-24 17:22:22

Island Girl

Oh that is so sad I am sorry you are losing your beloved birds to the cold   :hug:  seems just wrong when we try so hard to give them the best we can and then they succumbe to the elements, I hope the weather gets better sooner than later for those of you who are having such a terrible time with it.

XOX Monika

#11 2014-01-24 22:08:51

aarzuaga

:sad::hug: I am sorry that this is happening to you.

#12 2014-01-25 19:17:28

NaturesPace
Website

we ended up putting 2 brooder heat lamps in the coop. it seems to keep it warm enough that there is no more frost bite. Sorry for your losses. the photo shows just one, we added the other a day later.
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/heated_coop_zps9382e6a8.png

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#13 2014-01-25 23:51:38

gubi
Website

Do you need some snow?  We have some to give away for free.  Our drifts are 6-8 feet high in some places today!  Tonight it's going down to -20C with windchill below -30C.  I don't know if they were able to open up the roads again today.  They had closed down our entire county and are warning that it will get ugly tonight and tomorrow again.  My chickens are doing fine I have a heat lamp hanging on both waterers close to where the water comes out to keep the water flowing, I'm glad that I decided to insulate the south east wall and the north west corner so it stays decent in there, I haven't had a split egg yet.  Our little lamb is in the house for now, she kept wandering away from mom and it was just too cold to take the risk and besides the kids have been asking if they can raise bottle lambs again like last year.  We are trying to force spring here.  We got a lamb in the kitchen and the incubator has a few porcelain bantam eggs growing in it for the kids of course;)

#14 2014-01-26 00:44:10

Flat Rock Farm

I know we got dumped on with snow, they were only calling for 5cm and we sure got more than that.  Had to work this morning and I was the only car that had been down the road.  Punching drifts that once I hit them the snow flung up the windshield and over the roof :shock:  Thank goodness for AWD.

Stay safe everyone and pray for an early spring :please:

#15 2014-01-26 00:45:20

Maggiesdad

Ugg now we get word that the door is still open and and somebody set a fan in it - blowing on high... pointed at us! :P

Take care of those babies, gubi!  http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/emoticons/Animal%20Emoticons/smiley%20sheep.gif

#16 2014-01-26 02:05:08

Micah and Kiah

Crazy weather.  My in-laws predicted it! :wise: I had never heard their saying before: heavy fruit Fall means a hard winter.  We had the best fruit Fall in years. 
We have also had the hardest winter in years!
So I propose we all take leaves of absence from our jobs and go to the Basque region of Spain!  :please:
So sorry for your losses FRF.  That is so sad.  The same thing would happen here if it wasn't for Micah circulating heat lamps day and night.  Our hydro bill might be nasty this winter.
Gubi has told me he never raises late summer chicks but Dennis and I couldn't resist which gave us youngster in the Winter too. :Crazy:

I keep smuggling birds into the house :whistle: (which poor Micah hates because of their dust) He has moved my youngest and most lovely EO babies out to a wee coop in the barn and they have a heat lamp.  I like them in the house. Four boys, six girls.  They are funny, smart little rascals.  When in the house, the boys keep escaping their make shift pen and wandering around the room teasing the young Silkies who are still in their cages. the EO juvenille boys jump on the silkie cages and try to poop on them!

Gubi had pointed out that he suspected one of our Marraduna hens carried the Mille gene.  We experimented and think we found which one.  Then we have one of Poplar Girl's boys covering two lovely ladies from Paul's lineage.  Somehow we ended up with 8 of the most consistent chicks ever  EXCEPT that two boys and two girls have pale legs and beaks.

Back to the weather.  All around us the Counties are closing their roads.  From Gubi's all the way to Paula's practically!
Bruce County

For Bruce Power employees-
County Road # 23 is opened from Kincardine to County Road #15 and then north on Tie Road to the plant.

All other Bruce County roads are closed until further notice.
The following provincial highways are closed:
Hwy 6 is closed from Wiarton to Tobermory
Hiwy 21 is closed in both directions from Goderich to Springmount.
Hwy. 9 is closed from Kincardine east to Walkerton.

Huron County
All Huron County, county roads are closed.
EXCEPTION:  OPP say 86 from Wingham, east to Listowel is now open.
86 west to Amberley is still closed.

At this time, the following provincial highways remain open:
Hwy. 8 Goderich to Stratford
Hwy. 4 Clinton to Exeter.

The following provincial highways are closed:
Hwy. 21 closed from Blyth Road north south to Amberley.
Highway 21 is closed in both directions from Goderich to Springmount.

Perth County

From Municipality of North Perth:
North Perth has allocated available snow clearing resources and all roads have been plowed today, however due to snow squalls and high winds, roads can become hazardous quickly and North Perth recommends people adhere OPP advice and avoid all unnecessary travel.

Wellington County
Wellington County OPP have OPENED roads north of Wellington County Road 17 in North Wellington but urge extreme caution.
The following provincial highways remain closed:
Highway 6 – from Mount Forest to Fergus closed for snow removal.
Highway 10 north from Shelburne to Grey County is now OPEN.

Highway 10 from Dundalk to Shelburne is now OPEN

Highway 89 from Shelburne to Mount Forest is now OPEN

Grey County
The following roads are closed:
Grey road 7 – from Meaford to Kimberly.
Grey road 124 – from Singhampton South.
Grey Rd 4 from Grey Rd 2 to Grey Rd 124.
Highway 10 from Highway 89 to Dundalk
Grey Rd 40 from Walters Falls to the Blue Mountains.
All of Grey Rd 2 is closed

Police are saying you should avoid non-essential travel due to weather conditions.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#17 2014-01-26 05:00:25

Island Girl

Everyone is talking about weather, snow and bad weather and all I could  think was

gubi wrote:

...the incubator has a few porcelain bantam eggs growing in it for the kids of course;)

:shock: Porcelain Bantam  .... As in Booted? Please say yes  ...  I truly do wish that everyone had better weather and not all this cold and snow and heartache  ... But Porcelain Bantams. .. Oh hold it, you mean the tiny purple chickens don't you. ..:duh:

XOX Monika

#18 2014-01-26 11:51:05

Flat Rock Farm

From your report M&K looks like Claire and Lynn are snowed in :nervous:  Roads improved much by the time I was to come home from work.  I had to chuckle once I got to work I looked at my car and looked more like a snowmobile!!  Black car was almost white with snow all the way up almost to my window, rims were packed with snow and my front grill and lights were hardly visible.   Had to pull the snow from my grill to keep air flow to rad.
This winter Mark has been out pretty much every night plowing, nice for the bank but he is getting pretty tired of it.  Such a change from last winter, only plus all this snow will help the water table.

#19 2014-01-26 14:09:23

gubi
Website

I guess they are Porcelain booted bantams but not really.  They came from M&K's flock of Porcelain d'uccles, they are very cute but not bearded.
There's a picture of the cockerel in this thread.  http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1828
The weather didn't get as bad as it was supposed to here last night.  The roads look clear and visibility is good just a bit chilly.  One of our old ewes had a set of triplets this morning all nice big strong lambs.

#20 2014-01-26 15:21:35

Flat Rock Farm

Oh good thing gubi, but yes it is chilly.  I think later today there is another front coming through to dump on us some more :banginghead:

Congrats on the triplets :applause:  Hope they will be fine and you don't have to bring them in the kitchen too =D.  I thought I heard that lamb in the background the other night on the phone, lol

#21 2014-01-26 17:14:45

Island Girl

I just can't believe the weather I am seeing on the weather station for the East side of our country. Now I feel  like :chairhide: I hope you are all keeping safe and sound ! :nervous:

gubi wrote:

I guess they are Porcelain booted bantams but not really.  They came from M&K's flock of Porcelain d'uccles, they are very cute but not bearded.
There's a picture of the cockerel in this thread.  http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1828 .

The nonbearded definitely makes them Booted Bantams and they are hard to come by! What did you breed  the cockerel too? Was it another nonbearded or a bearded Hen? I did look at the whole thread, you guys are funny, great pictures and birds too.

Xox  Monika

#22 2014-01-27 18:13:09

gmb

:gunslinger: I'm going hunting for old man winter :gunslinger:
:stomp: enough is enough :stomp: of this freezer camp :stomp:
:excited: WILLY DAY on Sunday! :excited:

#23 2014-01-27 18:44:22

gubi
Website

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/p480x480/1545203_10201323480993193_318894356_n.jpg

#24 2014-01-27 18:48:10

Flat Rock Farm

gubi you gave me my laugh for the day!!  :funny: :funny: :funny:

@ gmb I'm with you, it's time for a lynching of Old Man Winter!!  :gunslinger:

#25 2014-01-27 18:58:30

gubi
Website

schools and roads are closed around here but the sun is shining right now but who knows for how long.   This is just payback for the lack of winter we had the last two years!  I keep thinking we should be getting a break soon with a few days of warm days to thaw things out a bit but by the looks of the forecast :gunslinger:

Adverts

Board footer