Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-01-16 17:51:42

Island Girl

I am working with a new roo, so about selling those eggs ...

...  for those of you who do/did sell eggs and also for those of you who do not ... what do think? I am wondering if it is so wise to sell eggs from a roo who's chicks have not yet reached adulthood. I have 6 -  five week old chicks from my new roo. What can I say, I had a broody silkie and a breeding flock laying eggs :oops: They are big beautiful chicks and this roo is very unrelated to my girls. Last year I really wanted to get eggs out there to as many people as I could so they too could experience these wonderful birds but this year I am wondering if I should be more selective about what I am doing. I know many good breeders wouldn't even consider selling eggs from a breeding flock where they have not raised up any young but these EOs are so new with such limited genes and they really fit into a different category, don't they? Just looking for opinions. I must go find that thread about inbreeding I have been thinking about it for days. ;)

XOX Monika

2014-01-16 17:51:42

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-01-16 21:51:26

Lisa

Re: I am working with a new roo, so about selling those eggs ...

Monika,

I've certainly done it. I was very clear about what I was doing - showing pictures of the parents, letting the potential buyer know that I had good hatching rates and healthy chicks, but had no idea how good the resulting adult birds would be. I also indicated that I expected the girls to be good layers and friendly birds, but could not speak to their colours. I also priced the eggs and chicks accordingly.

Most of my buyers were fine with this, or if they wanted more predictable outcomes, chose to do something else (and passed on those eggs/chicks). The fact that your lad is unrelated (ish) to your girls would be a big plus for someone looking to diversify their gene pool.

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#3 2014-01-18 02:50:56

Island Girl

bumped

Thanks for your input Lisa!

XOX Monika

#4 2014-01-18 13:13:07

gubi
Website

Island Girl from what I understand you actually try to breed the EO's well so you are light years ahead of those people that buy 6 hatching eggs and then keep one roo and 2 hens no matter how far away they are from the standard and sell hatching eggs!  If only people with perfect proven EO's would sell hatching eggs there wouldn't be ANY EO's in Canada!  AS long as your buyers know that your EO's, as well as everyone elses EO's are still a work in progress.  On the other hand this is what happened to me with my Spitzhaubens.  The first year I started breeding them they were far away form the standard, I had ordered 6 unsexed chicks form PP the year before, plus I had a 2 year old PP hen from a mixed pullet order which was actually very nice.  I sold the cull pullets on Kijiji and had a nice couple come along for 4 hens and they wanted a cockerel too.  I was new to raising poultry and didn't think too much other then if I give them a cull cockerel I'll have one less to butcher.  Now these nice people raise and sell Spitz chicks and every time I look at their website and see the Spitz I regret selling them that cockerel.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2014-01-24 14:22:57

poplar girl
Administrator

I am going to say it is a personal choice Monika where there is no black or white/right or wrong decision, it fits more into that grey category. If people want EOs they will likely get some from someone if they want them badly enough. The quality of the flock that someone has that they buy birds or eggs from could vary a lot. The buyer's expectations of what they are getting is really what you as a seller need to manage. If they plan to breed EOs you can also try to educate them on how to manage breeding birds but they may choose to ignore everthing you say and you need to be prepared for that.

The hard part for me when I make a decision to sell or not to is, in hind site, sometimes selling was the right thing to do as you get to watch a new person fall in love with the breed, become serious about wanting to breed them, educate themselves and become a dedicated new asset to the breed. On the other hand sometimes it goes the other way and next thing you see they are mass breeding or selling eggs or birds with no regard to maintaining any semblance of quality and with zero regard for educating themselves or those they sell to.

End of the day my strategy is a lot like Lisa's. I educate myself and I try my best to pass all I know on to the seller and make sure they are informed about what to expect. I also "interview" potential buyers as i correspond with them and if I get bad vibes I won't sell to that person. When I do sell I try to keep a connection with those that buy from me, i make it clear that I am happy to continue to answer their questions, invite them to join the EO forum....in general do what I can to encourage them to make good decisions about their EOs.

So I think this is a decision only you can make, based on your experience selling last year and based on what you know about your EOs this year, as you're the one that has to be comfortable with the outcome...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2014-01-24 17:47:59

Island Girl

Thanks you guys for answering in a way that I can see that you put a lot of thought in your replies, I truly do appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me bend my head around some of these things that I do think about. I believe that because this breed is still so new and I have sold eggs to make them more accessable to others that  I do feel personally responsible for which direction they are headed. But of course you are right pg, I can't own that fact that some will breed 'willy nilly' and mess up what a whole lot of us are trying to do! More food for thought. .. :happycrowd"

XOX Monika

#7 2014-02-11 02:05:45

Island Girl

Bumping this for hopeful further discussion  :group talking:

XOX Monika

#8 2014-02-11 03:18:01

poplar girl
Administrator

Specifically with regards to your new Roo...I have been thinking on that recently...

We all know there is quite a lot of variability in our EOs.

For anyone selling eggs or chicks do you hatch and grow some up for at least a month, preferably longer, before selling?

As a buyer are you willing to buy chicks or eggs from someone without seeing how the offspring are turning out?

Should the price of eggs or chicks reflect that knowlege or lack thereof? Or is just being honest with the buyer enough?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2014-02-11 19:34:14

Island Girl

=poplar girl]Specifically with regards to your new Roo...I have been thinking on that recently...

We all know there is quite a lot of variability in our EOs.

For anyone selling eggs or chicks do you hatch and grow some up for at least a month, preferably longer, before selling?
For eggs that I sell,  I hatch out chicks first to check for hatchability, and even though I know you can test for fertitility by cracking open eggs and finding the bullseye,  I believe its important to know how many actually do hatch from those fertile eggs.  I believe its very important to know what your chosen breeding flock is producing for size, color etc. I once sold chicks to a local lady who contacted me and wanted to try out EOs and who had a broody hen(s) later on she stated on ACE that she did not like EOs??  :huh:  I was hurt and offended, in hindsite I see she did not value what I was considering as a huge favor to her situation,  she also did not value what I had put into hatching out those chicks. Not her fault at all   ...   it was mine for not making that more clear! I also let my wanting to help her overshadow making sure that she had enough  'chicken knowledge' to please me.  Other than that I have sold POL pullets at the market and took down every name of every person who bought some and gave them all my contact info. LOL, possibly an overreaction and a little bit of overkill on my part, but I did not want anyone to misundertand how important each and every bird I was selling was to me. Although kissing and tearing up with each sale may have been a sign :Crazy: I also sold Briarwood Farms a trio last fall, he is the only roo I have ever sold because he was far too nice to butcher and I already had chosen my new breeding roo from them, Mr Studly.

As a buyer are you willing to buy chicks or eggs from someone without seeing how the offspring are turning out?
I have done this a bazillion times up to this point with many other breeds when buying chicks. I am not sure why that wasn't important to me then. Also my new breeding EO roo was purchased here at a swap because he was not as closely related as any of my roos would have been (no adult birds to view), and he has turned out to be an awesome roo. But nw that I am only breeding EOs and Porcelain Booted Bantams I do not think I would do that. My initial EO eggs were purchased from both Claire and Susan from this site, so I could see pictures. With the EOs having been so rare I was just so happy to be able to work with them, and it was made clear to me that there was a limited amount of genetics to work with!  BUT now that the EOs have made their way to many more flocks and now that we (I) am working more toward our working SOP I would choose any additional eggs/chicks with that more in mind. Maybe to offset anything I was trying to improve on. Just as an aside here, when I sold my pullets I brought my breeding roo and a hen along so people would get an idea of what they are suppose to look like as adults, I also posted  all the info that I put up at the shows. I am a nerd  :oops:

Should the price of eggs or chicks reflect that knowlege or lack thereof? Or is just being honest with the buyer enough?

I think being honest with the buyer is of utmost importance!!  Every pullet I sold at the swap went along with a 5 minute speech as to how these birds were being sold as culls and should not be in anyones breeding flock. Funcky combs and white legs mostly. But I also wanted to recoup my cost of raising these girls to POL so they were sold at $25 each (eeek now I can't recall, but I am 99% sure that was my price). I think any bird that is raised up with as much care and thought that I put into it (EO or not), is worth that. The speech also included that these birds were rare and come from a limited gene pool.  Read anal nerd here   :oops:  As for selling eggs, again honesty is the key for me. If I were to sell eggs again this year people would need to know that Muffie is a new roo and how fertilite he is, and the hatchability of  eggs in my test hatches. As I would not have chicks  old enough to know the outcome of their adult characteristics, people would be made aware of that too. So important and yet I am sure this is not the case with everyone selling EO eggs! My price reflects many things, I may start a new thread on this alone!

Thanks pg for giving me questions to think about!! Everytime I am able to answer someone else's questions it helps me out in one way or another with all the strange and wonderful things going in my head.

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer