Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2014-01-14 00:06:34

la-chicken

Help with picking a Roo.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0515.jpg
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0514.jpg
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0508.jpg
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0510.jpg

These are from Island Girl that the former owner hatched out.
The Older Roo is July Hatch 2013
The Younger Roo September 2013.

These are the only roosters I have to choose from.

PG understands my girl situation.........hoping to ADD to the flock this year!

Any Help will be great!!!!!!:thumbsup:

I am very new to this breed.  Bring on the learning!!!

2014-01-14 00:06:34

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2014-01-14 00:07:48

la-chicken

Re: Help with picking a Roo.

Sorry the pictures are so BIG!!!!

#3 2014-01-14 01:05:12

gubi
Website

The pictures are perfect size for me!  I prefer the younger cockerel.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2014-01-14 01:16:53

la-chicken

Darker colour and comb?  I am leaning to the younger one as well.  But, I don't know why.
Thanks Gubi.:)

#5 2014-01-14 01:33:09

gubi
Website

your older guy looks unbalanced to me also but could be the angle of the picture.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2014-01-14 01:40:28

riverbendfarm
Website

Older fella has nice yellow legs, but so does the young guy. Older is also very light with much white in tail, he may throw a lot of light chicks, while the youngster seems to have more of the golden buff red color we want. The younger one also has the beginnings of nicely barred sickles, saddle feathers and hackle. I also don't see any white in his primaries which is a detractor in the older bird. Younger guy seems to have a longer head, which is what we need to be selecting for as well according to that last APA judge. I'd lean to the youngster, but I'd keep the old guy around as long as I could as insurance.

Last edited by riverbendfarm (2014-01-14 01:43:34)

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#7 2014-01-14 01:51:19

la-chicken

OK!  So glad you are pointing things out:)
I was planning to keep them both but needed help developing an eye. 
I am rehoming ALL the other breeds so I will have TONS of room for this special breed.  But, need to breed up quality each and every year.:EO:

Keep the comments coming!!!!

#8 2014-01-14 02:05:15

poplar girl
Administrator

I agree with the comments so far, I also prefer the younger Roo but with the age difference it is a bit hard to compare them.

I like the young Roos cleaner barring as well as his more golden color. He may still get white in the tail but it will likely be less than your other Roo. Both Roos have very little grey in the chest which is good.

Do either have side sprigs (I think not)?
What about feather stubs?
And how are they for temperament?

And do you have (or can you take) pictures or look at them from above? I am thinking about length of back and width of their backs near the tail. Some EOs have short backs and a pinched tail which I don't think is desirable.

Agree with hanging onto both. I would say both are worthy of breeding from what I can see in the pictures. Not a bad start la-chicken! And it's wonderful the EOs will be THE breed going forward!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2014-01-14 02:15:14

la-chicken

I can try and get an arial shot. 
Sort of seperated them tonight as well grab some shots......Got them away from the Jersey Giant Roos (5) So ALL the other Roosters are in their own in a pen and a mixture of other girls are with the EO Family.
These roosters are friendly yet unsure.  Which I like, shows they know I am not a chicken. But, they are at my feet and not on them.

What is a feather stub?????  Something on ..........?

#10 2014-01-14 02:30:33

Flat Rock Farm

gubi wrote:

What gubi said. :thumbs:

Too bad you can't take a bird on your carry on when you return to AB after your trip to ON as I have a nice young cockerel that needs a home =D

#11 2014-01-14 02:36:39

poplar girl
Administrator

Feather stubs are tiny feathers between the toes or up the leg...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2014-01-14 02:50:34

la-chicken

poplar girl wrote:

Feather stubs are tiny feathers between the toes or up the leg...

I will take a close look.

#13 2014-01-14 02:53:38

la-chicken

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

gubi wrote:

What gubi said. :thumbs:

Too bad you can't take a bird on your carry on when you return to AB after your trip to ON as I have a nice young cockerel that needs a home =D

Who said, I can't?  Just need to talk to West Jet and see what is involved........Eggs and a bird!!!  :excited:

#14 2014-01-14 19:05:08

Island Girl

It is so so cool to see these birds thank you so much for posting them! In some weird way I feel related now :shock: I will be the Aunt or Granny that everyone runs away from and visits way too long :chairhide: Please please please check each breast bone for a crooked keel!! This is so important and since I learned how to check this properly I am a little shocked at how it can be so easily missed. You need to run your fingers/hand along the breastbone/keel and then all the way down towards the tail end. Don't stop too soon so as not to check it all the way down. I recently butchered an EO with this issue and was shocked at how pronounced it was!

poplar girl wrote:

I agree with the comments so far, I also prefer the younger Roo but with the age difference it is a bit hard to compare them.

I like the young Roos cleaner barring as well as his more golden color. He may still get white in the tail but it will likely be less than your other Roo. Both Roos have very little grey in the chest which is good.

Do either have side sprigs (I think not)?
What about feather stubs?
And how are they for temperament?

And do you have (or can you take) pictures or look at them from above? I am thinking about length of back and width of their backs near the tail. Some EOs have short backs and a pinched tail which I don't think is desirable.

Agree with hanging onto both. I would say both are worthy of breeding from what I can see in the pictures. Not a bad start la-chicken! And it's wonderful the EOs will be THE breed going forward!

I agree with the assessments made of these two birds and would very much like to see a close overhead shot of each one as well. Bird number two hs too much white imo but its always good to have a spare roo. Casn we have a nice head close up too I love to assess combs, read comb snob here!

Also wondering what you mean by head length riverbendfarms? This is something I need to learn about. :happycrowd"

XOX Monika

XOX Monika

#15 2014-01-14 21:18:07

Amblecroft
Website

Popular Girl, you mention side sprigs.  I have a rooster with side sprigs and bred it to sprigless hens and did not get any side sprigs.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#16 2014-01-15 00:02:26

Lisa

I agree with what everybody else already said. ;)

In the pic, the older fella looks unbalanced to me too - more chicken in the front half, not as much in the back. I like the crisper barring on the younger fella. Monika, if you look at the heads on the two boys, the younger lad has a "rectangle" head (longer front-to-back than he is from top-to-bottom). The older fella's head is more square.

I'd also like to see shots from the top and the front, to see the width of the boys. Nice start La!!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#17 2014-01-15 01:06:34

la-chicken

First of all!  Why is it every time you have a camera it is a "game".
http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0547.jpghttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0548.jpgolderolderhttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0551.jpg youngerhttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0553.jpghttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0554.jpghttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0561.jpg youngerhttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0562.jpghttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0564.jpg older roohttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0565.jpg older roohttp://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_0563.jpg cool never noticed the side

Last edited by la-chicken (2014-01-15 01:12:13)

#18 2014-01-15 01:16:27

la-chicken

I hope this makes sense.  Why do you see things in pictures and not even notice in person?

Yes, Keels are straight but more pronounced in the older one.
No feather sprigs or spurs or what ever they are called.

They have been living with 7 other roosters and looking alittle rough NOT to mention the super cold spell awhile back.

Thank you for ALL the comments!  I am learning lots!!!!

#19 2014-01-15 01:30:30

gubi
Website

Your young guy is much better then the older guy in many ways.  I would just eat the older guy.  look at that young guy he even lays eggs!  :chairhide:

#20 2014-01-15 02:15:04

poplar girl
Administrator

La-chicken in the last photo you can see your roo has a side sprig. Now not saying that mean's don't breed him...a judge once told me although combs are important you don't eat them...it is something to select against (and is a DQ at a show). As Amblecroft said, sometimes you can breed a roo with a side sprig and not have it show up in the chicks but it will increase the likelihood of it showing up in the chicks or their chicks.

2nd last pic (same roo?) he also has some white in his earlobe. Again not huge but keep breeding birds with that trait and you will end up with lots of white in the earlobes which is a DQ.

I think both those pictures are are older roo. If so I am going to say for sure I would pick your younger roo to use for breeding as a first choice.

#21 2014-01-15 03:03:03

Lisa

La-C,

Must say I'm envious - looks like a pretty easy choice this time! Wish it was always that easy... =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#22 2014-01-15 03:12:33

la-chicken

You guys Rock!!!

Young Guy it is!!!  I think his name will be.......Young Frank.
Older one will stick around until I find another replacement........Maybe Feb 23 will have a new boy??? (wink, wink)

#23 2014-01-15 03:23:18

Maggiesdad

stobbit, gubi! :funny:

#24 2014-01-15 04:07:53

la-chicken

gubi wrote:

Your young guy is much better then the older guy in many ways.  I would just eat the older guy.  look at that young guy he even lays eggs!  :chairhide:

OMG! I finally get it.....:funny:

#25 2014-01-15 07:01:16

Island Girl

I'm really liking the close up shots, it really is amazing what you can see in a picture. Sometimes skulking behind & around & overtop and well ... I know you know ... 100 icky blurry pictures to get one worthy of posting. Keep up the good work. I think you have made a good choice but as for eating #2 well, you just never know ... wait and see what Feb 23rd brings you :thumbsup:

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer