Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-09-05 12:20:31

Lisa

Help! What do I do with my broody???

Good morning EO supporters!

First the good news - hatch is continuing - so far, 8 EO brothers and sisters for the little d'uccle! :jumping: And 6 pips.

Now the sad news - I checked my broody this morning. She got up to get some water. Underneath her was one squashed hatched chick still surrounded by shell, and two eggs that looked well pipped but broken or squashed.  :sad: While I was watching, she picked up the corpse and neatly deposited it out in her run - then started eating the shell.

I think she likes to sit on eggs, but doesn't know what to do next! Is there anything I can do, assuming the other 3 eggs might hatch?

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-09-05 12:20:31

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-09-05 12:37:04

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Help! What do I do with my broody???

Well if the eggs were set in the incubator and the broody sitting is the same time frame I would take the three remaining eggs and put them in the incubator.  I think they will have a better chance of hatching then leaving them with the broody.  If you have a candler, I would candle them first, then put them in the incubator.  I have seen this happen before but with multiple broody's in the nest as too many in a nest, they can step on them or fight over them.  Is she the only one in the nest?  If so I would still take them away if three are dead already, in regards to her eating the shell that's natural.  Hope this helps Lisa.  :huh:

#3 2011-09-05 12:40:02

Susan
Administrator

Yes. Put them in the incubator. She's not ready to be a Mom. :(  Glad the rest of the hatch is going well though!!!

#4 2011-09-05 12:51:20

Lisa

The eggs in the incubator seem to be going in the same time frame as the broody. But if I open the incubator to put the last three in, am I not taking the chance of killing the 6 that are pipped but not yet hatched that are already in the incubator?

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#5 2011-09-05 13:02:37

Island Girl

Oh no Lisa, I agree she is just not ready to be a mom yet. I would definitely put them in the incubator. I highly doubt that quickly placing the eggs in the bator would hurt the eggs that are in there already. Let us know what happens, I will keep checking back!

XOX Monika

#6 2011-09-05 13:03:01

gubi
Website

That's too bad about your broodie.  Is it a possibility that the chicks where dead in the shell and the hen tried to help them out?  I had once a silkie that picked 3/4 of the egg shell around the chick trying to get it out.  When I got there there was a only the membrane around the chick. 
You have two options
see if she hatches the other 3 eggs or take them from underneath her and put them in the incubator, which could possibly hurt the chicks that are still hatching there.  I personally would leave the eggs with the broodie.
Good luck and Congrats on the good incubator hatch.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2011-09-05 13:06:07

poplar girl
Administrator

Sorry about the broody Lisa. Opening the incubator is not ideal. If you do, spritze with some warm water inside to bring the humidity back up quickly. It might be best though to just let nature take it's course with the eggs under the broody though. :huh:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2011-09-05 13:09:01

Island Girl

Lisa what kind of incubator are you using?

#9 2011-09-05 13:10:32

Lisa

Incubator is a hovabator - genesis 1588 (forced air). Broody is by herself in the nest - no competition.

#10 2011-09-05 13:19:36

Island Girl

Hmmm, I find that my brinsea keeps the humidity very well (opening it for a short time has no ill affect on the hatch) but I did have trouble with my hatch when I interfered  (opening the lid) with my hovabator. I think poplargirl may have a point by letting nature take its course with your broody. :huh:

XOX Monika

#11 2011-09-05 13:32:33

poplar girl
Administrator

If the incubator hatch finishes before the writing is on the wall for the broody eggs you could intervene then.
I hope it was just an accident and not your hen's fault!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2011-09-05 21:29:25

Lisa

Update,

Thanks for all of the support from everyone during my traumatic day! Very, very much appreciated!!!! :)

My hen seems to have been taking care of the "intruders" as each hatched - after which she neatly deposited the corpse outside her clean nest. After removing the third one, I couldn't stand it any more!

When my incubator chicks seem to have all hatched (all the pipped ones, anyway), I removed a few of the oldest (almost 2 days old!) and put the last three eggs swiped from "Mommie Dearest" in there as well. We'll see if anything else hatches overnight.

The baby d'uccle is zipping around the brooder box, ready to face the world! Sweetly enough, when I transported it with the 2 EO's that hatched in the same pedigree basket, the EO's put their wings over it to protect it.... good chickies! :chook:

I think I'm going to go have a small nervous breakdown now! I forgot that hatching can be stressful as well as fun...

Thanks again for the support! Pics soon.....

#13 2011-09-05 21:36:58

Susan
Administrator

You're doing a great job, now relax and enjoy those babies! :) the rest- what will be, will be. We can only control so much.

#14 2011-09-05 22:04:45

Flat Rock Farm

Susan wrote:

You're doing a great job, now relax and enjoy those babies! :) the rest- what will be, will be. We can only control so much.

I totally agree with Susan, enjoy those babies :love:

#15 2011-09-06 12:31:41

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Hi Lisa!  Fuzzy Butts are so cute.  Great job!  :congrats:

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#16 2011-09-06 13:21:34

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:congrats: Lisa, I am glad it is working out and congratulations on those babies.  I had a "Mommy dearest" black penedesenca who I think ate her babies as they hatched....but she didn't eat the shells, that was all I found :sick: Some chickens just aren't cut out for it!  the d'cuccle chicks do fine with the big chicks usually, the d'uccles barge about as needed.  Once they get to 4 weeks then keep a closer eye out as they are dwarfed then and running under the others legs.

I am just loving the EO chicks here, I had forgotten how great they are.  They are two weeks old and I moved them outside with their Mommas and they were as good as gold.  I find broody raised chicks wild and less tame than electric hen chicks, but my EOs run up to my hand no problem, despite their wild lavender ameraucana Mommas telling them not to!  The 4-5 week old Chanties I also moved and they sounded like they were being killed....got the roosters going and everything. :EO:

#17 2011-09-06 23:18:17

poplar girl
Administrator

"electric hen chicks" :thumbsup:

See, I am a coward, all my babies have been hatched by electric hen so far. "Mommy Dearest" scares me. But next year...

:congrats:

#18 2011-09-06 23:41:42

Flat Rock Farm

Well the silkies and bantam cochins have so far been the best broodies I have, they are awesome Mother's.  Even the silkie rooster helps the chicks find food, too cute.

#19 2011-09-07 01:50:53

Lisa

I acquired a few silkie eggs from Gubi at the spring Fur and Feather in Mount Forest this year - at least one is a hen (I think!). I'll try her next year! Maybe. I'm a bit traumatized. But I DID wonder how a chicken who was hatched in an incubator would know how to brood properly. She's never seen a chick before.  I took the nesting box away from Sweetpea this morning - it was creepy. There was no sign that there were ever eggs or chicks in there..... a bit twilight zoney.... I'll give her this - she's a tidy housekeeper!!

So do I need to do anything to "unbrood" her? And should I assume that she will always do this to chicks, or might she be better next year when she's not so young?

Good news - I had a very late arrival in the incubator this morning - one more of Blondie's! So it looks like a total of 12 healthy EO's (10 from Jim's line, 2 from Blondie's) and one bonus d'uccle. :jumping:

Interestingly, almost all of the eggs from the second week of the collection period hatched, and only a few from the first week. Not sure if it's my incubator, time of year, or changes in fertility. It was the same thing for both Blondie and Jim's eggs. Maybe the first week was when it was really really hot?

#20 2011-09-07 03:28:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Could be the heat Lisa, that would be my guess, egg age would be the only other differing factor.  It was more of a risk going 2 weeks at this time of year, but hopefully made the trip more worthwhile.

I think she should unbrood herself. When you put her in with the others, maybe do it at night.

I have found Chanties the best broodies we have, I don't have to worry or second guess.  I have had extra not-so-broody' s go and sit on and warm chicks dropped out of nests.  Violet was good too, but climbing the walls to get away from the baby by 6 weeks.  The Lav ameraucanas are a bit jumpy, but seem to be good mothers now.  All were electric hen babies and the instincts kick in(usually), I now have 3/9 chanties broody.....they are SOL!

#21 2011-09-07 03:31:57

poplar girl
Administrator

:jumping: a baker's dozen!

Pictures? =D

Adverts

Board footer