Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-12-03 21:03:26

occhick2002

feathering on legs!!

Hi everyone,

I recently hatched out a batch of basque chicks and to my surprise, 1 has a light line of white feathering down the outside of each leg!  After contacting the breeder, who informed me they only have basque chickens.. I'm guessing it is a genetic boo-boo.  I'm trying to figure out how to post the photos here.

Theresa[

2013-12-03 21:03:26

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-12-03 21:26:14

gubi
Website

Re: feathering on legs!!

HI occhick2002 :welcome: :EO: it seem thay some genetic boo-boo's pop up in this breed if you hatch enough chicks.  I had a millie pullet here too that had a nice little line of tiny feathers down her legs.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2013-12-04 00:35:00

Flat Rock Farm

:welcome: Theresa :hi:

Not had any feathered legs with my EO's yet, not to say it's not possible though :huh:

#4 2013-12-04 01:39:47

poplar girl
Administrator

I have had a few EOs with feathered legs and feathers between the toes. They are still pure bred EOs just an unwanted trait popping up as you said Theresa. I check every chick for feather stubs now. It's easy to see when they first hatch and can get harder to see later but if the feathers are there at day one they will be there later if you look close enough. I believe it is recessive so both parents can be feather stub free and still produced chicks with feather stubs.

:welcome: and good observation skills. Could I ask you to add your location to your profile (you will find it under Personal) when you have a chance?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2013-12-04 02:17:39

Lisa

Theresa,

I've had a few basque with a few small leg feathers (or stubs between the toes) in this year's hatches, from parents that have none. It's possilbe - but I won't breed from them.

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer