Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-11-29 18:42:42

poplar girl
Administrator

2013 Euskal oiloa (Basque) Survey Results Part A

2013 Euskal oiloa (Basque) Survey

Part A: General questions for all Euskal oiloa (EO) owners
This survey is intended to allow better understanding of the North American Euskal oiloa (EO) population, the reasons that poultry enthusiasts are choosing this breed, and the expectations and aspirations of EO owners. The intent is to repeat this survey on an annual basis.

A summary of the survey findings will be posted on the Euskal oiloa Chicken Forum (EOCF) and can be emailed to participants upon request if the necessary portions of PART C of the survey are completed.

1. For what purpose(s) do you own EOs (choose all that apply)?
  Meat – 50%
  Eggs – 95%
  Sale of hatching eggs – 40%
  Sale of chicks or birds – 38%
  Breeding – 62%
  Feathers – 5%
  Pets/enjoyment – 69%
  Other (Please Specify) – 2% Showing

2. What is your primary reason for owning EOs?
  Meat – 2%
  Eggs – 43%
  Sale of hatching eggs – 5%
  Sale of chicks or birds – 5%
  Breeding – 24%   
  Showing – 2%
  Feathers – 0%
  Pets/enjoyment – 19%    

3. What varieties of EOs do you own (choose all that apply)?
  Marraduna (barred buff columbian) – 93%
  Gorria (red columbian) – 29%
  Zilarra (white columbian) – 2%
  Lepasoila (naked neck) - 0%
  Llodiana (blond) – 0%
  Mille Fleur Marraduna – 41%   
  Mille Fleur Gorria – 10%
  White (recessive) - 7%
  Other colors that do not match any of the above - 12%
  I am not concerned about my EOs being a specific color – 10%

4. How many years have you owned EOs?
  Less than 1 year – 41%
  1-2 years – 26%
  2-3 years – 19%
  3-4 years – 10%
  4-5 years – 2%
  More than 5 years – 2%

5. How many more years do you plan to own EOs?
  Less than 1 year – 2%
  1-5 years – 33%
  More than 5 years – 64%    

6. How many EOs do you consider part of your "permanent" flock?
Include pullets, hens, cockerels and roosters that you intend to keep as pets, layers, breeders etc. and exclude birds you intend to sell or use for meat production.
  10 or less – 67%
  11-25 – 26%
  26-50 – 5%
  51-100 – 2%
  101 or more – 0%

7. On average during the first year of egg production how many eggs per bird do your EO pullets/hens produce?
  I have not owned EOs for their first full year of egg production – 38%
  I do not monitor my EOs for egg production closely enough to respond – 31%
  Less than 200 eggs each – 10%
  About 200 eggs each – 7%
  More than 200 eggs each – 14% 

8. At one year of age what is the average weight per egg that your EO hens produce?
  I have not owned EO hens at one year of age – 29%
  I do not monitor the weight of my EOs eggs closely enough to respond – 41%
  Less than 61g – 0%
  About 61g – 14%
  More than 61g – 17% 

9. On average at 13 weeks of age under farm conditions what live weight would your cockerel EOs be?
  I did not own EO cockerels at 13 weeks of age – 10%
  I did not monitor my EO cockerel's live weight at 13 weeks closely enough to respond – 62%
  Less than 2 kg (4.4 lbs) – 21%
  About 2 kg (4.4 lbs) – 7%
  More than 2 kg (4.4 lbs) – 0%

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-11-29 18:42:42

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-11-30 14:52:39

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: 2013 Euskal oiloa (Basque) Survey Results Part A

I should add that 42 people responded to Part A so each 2% above more or less equates to one person.

Some things that stand out or have meaning to me when I look at these results:

1. 62% of people raise EOs to breed them so over half of the EO flock out there are breeding flocks. 40% of those people are planning to sell hatching eggs, 38% will sell birds. To me this means that we are likely going to see more people owning EOs and a higher EO population over the next few years.

2. Eggs, breeding, and pets/enjoyment are by far the top 3 reasons people own EOs. The pets/enjoyment being the top reason for 19% I think speaks to their friendly nature. Breeders 24% and showing 2%, that's about 11-12 people hopefully most of which will be very important to helping standardize the breed. Egg production being the #1 hopefully means people will select for good egg producers.

3. Top variety out there for sure is Marraduna (93% have some in their flock) with Mille fleur marraduna next and then gorria. M&K I think you may have that interest in the milles to work towards having that color recognized eventually.

4. 41% of people have owned EOs for less than a year. This means numbers are still growing and there are a lot of people out there trying out the breed. This also means to me that lots of those new owners probably need learning resources so hopefully they are able to find the information they need to answer their questions and set them on the right track.

5. Most people are planning to stick with EOs for the long haul. That's good. It will be interesting next year to see if the response to this question changes.

6. Most flocks are very small, 67% 10 birds or less. I think that's probably not unlike many other poultry breeds but it does have some likely implications. It may in part also be because many people are just getting into the breed. The 33% of people with larger flocks (11 EOs and up) are encouraging. This represents about 15 people. In Part B we can see how many "breeding quality" birds that equates to.

7. It looks to me like the jury is still out on egg production. As this is an important reason many people raise EOs hopefully we can continue to select for this trait and more people will monitor it over time.

8. Eggs size seems to be living up to expectations.

9. Most people don't monitor for this. island girl raised a good point in saying maybe weight at butcher would be a better point to measure. But then we would need to pick a range in weeks that represents the average age. Of those that do monitor it seems EOs are not reaching those weights for the most part.

Just some of my interpretation, others may review the results and see different things.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2013-11-30 15:05:04

Lisa

Re: 2013 Euskal oiloa (Basque) Survey Results Part A

PG,

You rock! :jumping:  Great interpretation.... and really hopeful for the future of the breed in North America.

Also matches what we find anecdotally - once you have a few EO's, you fall in love with them and can't imagine not having them!

Last edited by Lisa (2013-11-30 15:05:33)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer