Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-11-19 20:53:15

poplar girl
Administrator

Which one(s) are the correct color for marraduna?

I am not the best of photographers but I wanted to show the diversity of color I have in my marraduna pullets and hens. There is diversity in the color of the feathers on the body as well as how even the color is.  There is also diversity in how much black there is in the hackles and even the tail to some degree.

Take a look at the photos and feel free to comment on which ones, if any, are the correct color in you opinion. Or which ones or parts aren't the right color and why. Not some of the sneaky girls are in the photos more than once...

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/d70b0bf01eb182d48c0376016a67908f.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/19202a54cbfcdbd23b3aeeabcab0ffbb.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/7aa9d81acf41ea0c2793bc515180be44.jpg

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-11-19 20:53:15

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-11-19 20:57:45

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Which one(s) are the correct color for marraduna?

And please ignore the random Spitzhaubens and Easter eggers...I think I avoided the cream legbar and gorria EOs.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2013-11-19 21:41:29

Maggiesdad

More pics please! These 3 examples are really tough to work with...

The feed back I'm getting from Spain is that my pullets are too dark in the hackles. So strictly in feather color alone (caveat digi pics and monitors) the two darkest girls with light necks right of 6oclock in the first photo look yummy. (pullet and apron momma)

And apron momma at 12 oclock in the next two pics.

Those are the ones that trip my color trigger, and I can't say why just a feeling.

That said I wouldn't be ashamed to work with any of them. But with the choices you have in these pics I would pull the most black flecked girl out, and the smallest girl out, and then evaluate for pelvic dimensions. Then come back with who your best 4 are.

#4 2013-11-19 22:05:22

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

More pics please! These 3 examples are really tough to work with...

I can take more photos MD. As for the type and all other aspects that's a whole other animal, I want to keep this about color for now if we can. I purposely provided photos from a bit of a distance with multiple birds so color could be what we focus on. The diversity you see in color I also have in type. 5 of what I consider some of my better marraduna are actually segregated from the flock right now ready to go to a poultry show this Friday (remind me if I ever suggest I am entering 20 birds in a show that is at least 8 too many and after bathing 12 birds it's no longer fun).

What type of photos would you like to see?

The feed back I'm getting from Spain is that my pullets are too dark in the hackles. So strictly in feather color alone (caveat digi pics and monitors) the two darkest girls with light necks right of 6oclock in the first photo look yummy. (pullet and apron momma)

I've noticed the European EOs generally have very little black in the hackles. I wonder why. Is it just their preference or does it go hand and hand with some other desirable color traits?

As for the two girls you refer to when you say "yummy" does that mean no good and I should eat them :eat: or yummy as in good marraduna color?

And apron momma at 12 oclock in the next two pics.

Those are the ones that trip my color trigger, and I can't say why just a feeling.

Got ya, I know which hen that is as well.

I am going to refrain from comment until I get some more feedback. I don't want to influence anyone's opinions...

#5 2013-11-19 22:43:34

Maggiesdad

Yummy in that they look like Kraft Caramels, I could just pick them up and lick them, but    no wait... did I say that?!!! :funny:
:Crazy:

I think the black necklace has to do with balance (color expression), that where too much black shows up in the hens.

#6 2013-11-19 22:59:21

Flat Rock Farm

Maggiesdad wrote:

Yummy in that they look like Kraft Caramels, I could just pick them up and lick them, but    no wait... did I say that?!!! :funny:

I think the black necklace has to do with balance (color expression), that where too much black shows up in the hens.

Lick them.......oh my......really!!! :shock:  As usual you gave me my laugh for the day :funny:

Your girls are lovely PG, I don't really have much to add in critiquing them.  I have been striving more for the colour of your pullet in your first picture between apron momma and the light girls.  So am not sure if I am going in the right direction or not :huh:

#7 2013-11-19 23:55:16

Micah and Kiah

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/900x900px-LL-e717ae9d_MegansEOBasque1_zps34a3a9a1.jpeg

Just for comparision, Meg30000's EO hen's straight from Spain not mixed with N.A. birds

Talk later, I'm procastinating

Last edited by Micah and Kiah (2013-11-19 23:56:55)

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#8 2013-11-19 23:57:41

Micah and Kiah

Just one of her group has the black on her neck

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#9 2013-11-20 00:26:22

Flat Rock Farm

Megs are very similar to the one I picked in PG's 1st. picture.  Quite a few of the pullets I hatched out this year are looking very close to them. :thumbsup:

Maggiesdad in one of his most recent post are very similar as well. http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1786

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2013-11-20 00:28:08)

#10 2013-11-20 01:21:25

gubi
Website

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Maggiesdad wrote:

Lick them.......oh my......really!!! :shock:  As usual you gave me my laugh for the day :funny:

Your girls are lovely PG, I don't really have much to add in critiquing them.  I have been striving more for the colour of your pullet in your first picture between apron momma and the light girls.  So am not sure if I am going in the right direction or not :huh:

I prefer the color of that pullet too.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#11 2013-11-20 01:53:16

poplar girl
Administrator

Interesting. I would not describe that color as "buff". What would it be described as...need two descriptors that mean something to the APA.

And Meg's rooster, I also like his color. Is his wing too red/brown or is it what we want? Need 3 descriptors.

And how would you compare the color of this cockerel to Meg's? Which is more correct?
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/74238b7aa8c32f0f44bdc490b4fba25b.jpg

#12 2013-11-20 02:37:59

Flat Rock Farm

If you go to the feathersite picture of a Marraduna rooster it shows a rooster with the dark red/brown wing.  I thought I had it downloaded but can't seem to find it to post.

Here's the link http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/ … asque.html

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2013-11-20 02:41:34)

#13 2013-11-20 03:12:44

Maggiesdad

Put some yellow legs on him and I think he'd be rockin' .

I'm working with my friends across the pond to nail down the right color intensity...
I'll let you know if I get something concrete.

#14 2013-11-20 03:19:56

Maggiesdad

Those feathersite pics look wonky to me... the hues are off.

PG's outdoor pic of the cock looks spot on for being natural.

#15 2013-11-20 11:52:50

Flat Rock Farm

I agree MD on the feathersite picture, but I think it's the exposure from the camera maybe??

Yes PG your boy is beautiful and as MD added add some yellow legs and he'd be the bomb!!!  Is he the Father of my boy Michael??  I will send you some pictures, he turned out to be quite the looker but he has a side spring on both sides at the back of his comb.

#16 2013-11-20 15:13:12

poplar girl
Administrator

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Yes PG your boy is beautiful and as MD added add some yellow legs and he'd be the bomb!!!  Is he the Father of my boy Michael??  I will send you some pictures, he turned out to be quite the looker but he has a side spring on both sides at the back of his comb.

He HAS yellow legs just straw yellow instead of bright yellow. It's a fault throughout my marraduna lines. My gorria have nice bright yellow legs. Something else to work on.

And yes Paula, Little Guy would be Michael's papa. It's soo bad about the side sprigs, i had some here too although not too many. My best chicks were actually crosses of lines. I would like to see pictures. Will you use him for breeding?

MD...hopefully you get some feedback from Spain to share with us. I really want to nail down what the colors should be...

#17 2013-11-20 16:52:36

Maggiesdad

Remember, leg color is the product of two things - dermis and epidermis. I think your under color is good, just need the yellow skin (or vice versa lol!). You'll be able to bring that back in with gorria over time.

#18 2013-11-20 17:07:37

Flat Rock Farm

@PG yes I will be using Michael for breeding as he (IMO) has so many other good qualities about him and he is giving me a bit of diversity as well pairing him up with my pullets from this year.  I thought Little Guy was his Father as he has a similar build.  I will get some pictures and start a new thread.......soon!! LOL

#19 2013-11-21 13:38:00

poplar girl
Administrator

Look at the diversity of color even in the photos on the Eoalak site, in particular the last two photos:
http://www.eoalak.com/es/content/marraduna-0

Look how dark red some of the hens are in the second last photo.
I think I could call the girl in the last photo buff but maybe she is a bit too light.

I really like the color all of you have described as ideal for the marraduna hen, a reddish buff is what I would call it but I am going to do some checking to see if that would be correct.

I wonder what a corresponding rooster that produces hens of that color would look like? Like Meg's rooster? I want to avoid any notions of male and female breeding lines that are so common in many breeds.

#20 2013-11-21 14:41:09

Island Girl

I went out and took many pictures of my flock to share on this post as well, will work on uploading them asap. How many points on your roos comb PG? Also IMO the color of your roo is bang on to what I am striving for. I really want to get a shot of my roo posted here in a similar stance and lighting for comparison purposed :)

XOX Monika

#21 2013-11-21 15:24:03

Island Girl

Some of my girls

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/20131119_142348_zpse9c16cf8.jpg

XOX Monika

#22 2013-11-21 15:26:28

Island Girl

Is this what we are calling Mille Fleur?

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/20131119_142507_zpse6a9734c.jpg

XOX Monika

#23 2013-11-21 18:21:34

poplar girl
Administrator

Monika the pictures are a bit hard to see detail clearly in but I would say:
3 o'clock - marraduna but her color seems a bit off, might just be the photo.
4 o'clock - marraduna but lots of black flecking
5 o'clock-  mille fleur marradulna
6 o'clock - nice colored marraduna
8 o'clock - also a nice colored marraduna maybe a little light
11 o'clock - mille fleur marraduna

And yes the second picture I would call a mille fleur marraduna although her mottles are mostly only white. To be mille fleur I would say the mottles need to be both white and black.

Let's see what others think...

#24 2013-11-21 20:34:32

Maggiesdad

poplar girl wrote:

Look at the diversity of color even in the photos on the Eoalak site, in particular the last two photos:
http://www.eoalak.com/es/content/marraduna-0

Look how dark red some of the hens are in the second last photo.
I think I could call the girl in the last photo buff but maybe she is a bit too light.

I really like the color all of you have described as ideal for the marraduna hen, a reddish buff is what I would call it but I am going to do some checking to see if that would be correct.

I wonder what a corresponding rooster that produces hens of that color would look like? Like Meg's rooster? I want to avoid any notions of male and female breeding lines that are so common in many breeds.

Are there any three colored birds that breed true to their standard without two lines?

#25 2013-11-22 00:34:04

poplar girl
Administrator

What do you mean by three colored birds MD? I thought ours were 2 colored...black and red (or whatever we're going to call the color they are :P). And i had never heard of needing 2 lines for tri colored birds either way...educate me please!

Adverts

Board footer