Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-11-16 13:31:56

poplar girl
Administrator

Revised Euskal oiloa (Basque) SOP, member input wanted!

The following is Draft 2 of the North American breed standard for the Basque (Euskal oiloa) created November 2013. Of the 5 varieties recognized in the Basque Country only the marraduna and gorria color varieties are described.

BASQUE (EUSKAL OILOA)

Euskal oiloa first came into being as a natural breed evenly distributed across farms of the historical territories of Bizkaia, Araba and Gipuzkoa of the Basque Country (Euskal Herria) of Spain.  Recovery and preservation of this breed began in 1975 when Dr. Fernando Orozco and his team at the Department of Animal Genetics INIA recognized the devastating impact that the use of hybrid laying hens for commercial production of the regionally preferred brown shelled eggs was having on the native breed. Based on this work, Dr. Jose Antonio Mendizabal drafted the Spanish breed standard. The introduction of basque fowl into North America is relatively recent and the breed has attracted a following in Canada and the United States as a result of the combination of traits for hardiness, attractive color patterns, a friendly temperament, and good egg and meat producing properties.

ECONOMIC QUALITIES
A dual purpose medium weight fowl for production of both meat and eggs. Color of skin, yellow; color of egg shell varying from very light to a rich brown depending on the individual, strain and stage of production.

DISQUALIFICATIONS
White in the ear-lobes. Shanks other than yellow.

STANDARD WEIGHTS
Cock..........8 lbs
Cockerel.....6.5 lbs
Hen...........5.5 lbs
Pullet.........4.5 lbs

SHAPE-MALE
COMB:   Single, medium in size, straight and upright, firm and even on head with six (1) well-defined points. Blade slightly raised from the back of the neckline.
BEAK:  Strong, vigorous and well curved.
FACE:  Smooth.
EYES:  Large and oval.
WATTLES:  Long, thin and smooth, with a rounded lower edge.
EAR-LOBES:  Medium in size, lying close to the face, smooth and lanceolate.
HEAD:  Long and wide.
NECK:  Moderately long. Hackle abundant and flowing over the shoulders.
BACK:  Broad, sloping slightly downward to the tail.  Saddle feathers abundant and medium length.
TAIL:  Moderately large.  Carried at an angle of 45 degrees (45 °) above horizontal. Main tail feathers broad and overlapping. Sickles of medium length, well arched.
WINGS:  Large, well-folded and held tightly to the body.
BREAST:  Broad, deep and well rounded.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Body fairly developed. Fluff moderately full.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs strong and robust. Shanks rather long, thick, heavy. Toes four on each foot.

SHAPE-FEMALE
COMB:  Single, medium in size, straight and upright, firm and even on head with six (1)well-defined points. Blade slightly raised from the back of the neckline.
BEAK:  Strong, vigorous, nicely curved.
FACE:  Smooth.
EYES:  Large and oval.
WATTLES:  Medium length, thin and smooth, with a well rounded lower edge.
EAR-LOBES:  Rather small, lying close to the face, smooth and lanceolate.
HEAD:  Long and wide.
NECK:  Moderately long.
BACK:  Broad, sloping slightly downward to the tail.
TAIL:   Rather small.  Carried at an angle of 35 degrees (35 °) above horizontal.
WINGS:  Large, well-folded and held tightly to the body.
BREAST:  Broad, deep and well rounded.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Body fairly developed. Fluff moderately full.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs strong and robust. Shanks rather long, thick, heavy. Toes four on each foot.

MARRADUNA BASQUE

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Entirely white or black feathers in the sickle or main tail feathers. Entirely white feathers in the the primary or secondary wing feathers.

COLOR-MALE

COMB, FACE, WATTLES AND EAR-LOBES:  Bright red.
BEAK:  Yellow.
EYES:  Reddish Bay (2).
HEAD:  Plumage, finely barred with white and golden-buff (3).
NECK:  Hackle finely barred with white and buff (4) with a narrow black stripe, irregularly barred with white, extending down the middle of each feather. Front of neck same as breast.
BACK:  Barred dark golden-buff (3). Saddle finely barred lustrous dark golden-buff (3).
TAIL:  Main tail alternating bars of black and white. Sickles the same as the main tail with lustrous greenish black. Coverts black and white barring, the white barring gradually turning to dark golden-buff (3) approaching the saddle.
WINGS:  Front and bows barred white and reddish-buff (5). Secondary coverts barred white and dark golden-buff (3). Primaries barred white and black with upper edge golden-buff (3). Primary coverts white and black barred edged with golden-buff (3).
BREAST:  White and golden-buff (3) barred.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Body irregularly barred with white and golden-buff (3) similar to the breast. Stern irregularly and indistinctly barred with white and golden-buff (3). Fluff ivory.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs indistinctly barred with white and golden-buff (3). Shanks and toes yellow.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS:  Ivory

COLOR-FEMALE
EYES:  Reddish Bay (2)..
HEAD:  Golden-buff (3).
NECK:  Dark golden-buff (3). Lower neck feathers with a black stripe, slightly and irregularly barred with white, extending down the middle of each feather. Front of neck similar to breast.
BACK:  Golden-buff (3).
TAIL:  Main tail black edged with golden-buff (3). Shaft golden-buff (3).
WINGS:  Front and bows dark golden-buff (3). Bar and secondaries golden-buff (3). Primaries golden-buff (3) with lower web of first few primary feathers black transitioning to golden-buff (3). Primary coverts black edged with golden-buff (3). When the wing is folded in the natural position only the golden-buff (3) color shows.
BREAST:  Buff (4).
BODY AND FLUFF:  Buff (4) with faint and indistinct white barring. Stern irregularly and indistinctly barred with white and buff (4). Fluff ivory.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs light golden-buff (3). Shanks and toes yellow.

GORRIA BASQUE

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Entirely white feathers in the sickle or main tail feathers. Entirely white feathers in the the primary or secondary wing feathers.

COLOR-MALE
EYES:   Reddish Bay (2).
HEAD:  Red.
NECK:  Hackle red shading at the base to a lighter red. A narrow black stripe extending down the middle of each feather. Front of neck same as breast.
BACK: Red in upper parts shading to lighter red in the lower saddle.
TAIL:  Main tail black. Sickles lustrous greenish black. Coverts black gradually turning to red approaching the saddle.
WINGS:  Front, bows, and coverts red. Primaries black then upper edge red. Primary coverts black edged with red.
BREAST:  Red.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Red similar to the breast. Fluff ivory.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs red. Shanks and toes yellow.

COLOR-FEMALE
EYES:  Reddish Bay (2).
HEAD:  Red.
NECK:  Red. Lower neck feathers with a black stripe down the middle of each feather. Front of neck similar to breast.
BACK:  Red.
TAIL:  Main tail black edged with red. Shaft red.
WINGS:  Front, bar and secondaries and bows red. Primaries red with lower web of first few primary feathers black transitioning to red. Primary coverts black edged with red. When the wing is folded in the natural position only the red color shows.
BREAST:  Red.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Red. Fluff ivory.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs red. Shanks and toes yellow.

1. Six replaces five to seven points on the comb
2. Reddish Bay replaces brown (marraduna) and chestnut (gorria) for the eye color.
3. Golden-buff replaces golden-red.
4. Buff replaces light golden-red.
5. Reddish-buff replaces medium chestnut red.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-11-16 13:31:56

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-11-16 14:20:10

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Revised Euskal oiloa (Basque) SOP, member input wanted!

Over the past few weeks the 2013 EO survey result and discussion resulting from it, and the review of our draft EO SOP by myself and others as we prepare for some shows, have helped make clear some of the changes that we should consider making to our draft EO SOP.

Some we were aware of and discussed previously. Namely that a specific number of points on the comb needs to be specified as the American Poultry Association (APA) does not allow for a range. A question on this was included in the 2013 EO survey. Although responses are still trickling in there is a slight majority of people that chose 6 points. 7 points is actually a fairly close second with not many people choosing 5. I have proposed six points on this basis.

Eye color is another area we had recognized as requiring a change. Brown to the APA referes to a true dark chocolate brown which EOs are not. In fact eye color seems quite consistent in our North American EOs and I think it's just a matter of using proper APA terms to describe the color. Another translation from Spanish would suggest describing the color as Chestnut and that is the color along with Brown that was listed as a choice on the survey. Most respondents chose Chesnut. A few chose Other and typed in "Bay" or "Reddish-Bay". I consulted the APA SOP for a definition of bay and also to review what color descriptors have been used for eye color for other breeds. It seems Reddish-bay is a very common descriptor for eye color while Chestnut or Bay alone i did not find. Bay is defined by the APA as "(1) a light golden-brown. (2) also used to describe an intermingling of red and yellow in the iris caused by surface capillaries in the eyes in some varieties of fowl.". Thus I chose Reddish-bay in the revised EO SOP.

Marraduna feather color. It has recently been pointed out that the marraduna color is really not a barred red but a barred buff. After reading some of the descriptions in the APA of other breeds such as the New Hampshire which are red and of breeds like the buff Catalanas described in shades of buff, I would agree with this observation. Buff is defined by the APA as "A medium shade of orangy-yellow with a rich golden cast; not so intense as to show a reddish-cast, nor so pale as to appear lemon or light yellow. The term is generally used in referencing to plumage colors of all Standard "Buff" varieties of poultry. As we do need to point out color variations within the buff color for EOs I have chosen "buff", "golden-buff" and "reddish-buff" but I would be happy to have suggestions of other descriptors we should consider from members.

As I am faiirly new to breeding and showing poultry and certainly no expert on breed standards and the APA I'm counting on you guys to help ensure we consider everything we should in this new draft SOP. Please review the new proposed draft carefully and provide your comments. We have no official breed club with rules and by-laws but it's important that we work together and follow a unified SOP for EOs especially as we show them and perhaps eventually seeking admission of them into the APA. Old outdated versions of the SOP still being used is something to be concerned about so changes to our SOP should not be taken lightly but we also need to make those changes in a timely way where required. Since its been almost 2 years since draft 1 for marraduna was created I think it's time.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2013-11-17 02:11:59

HaplessRunner

PG,

Thanks for the update.  I will revise my version with this update.  Maggiesdad, has asked me if it would be possible to run this by Walt Leonard, APA judge.  Walt has been providing us some input on the cream legbars.  While I do not know Walt and have only messaged him on the boards a couple of times, I would not be adverse to asking him to review the Rev 2 draft SOP for EOs to solicit any thoughts or recommendations that he may have.

Tony

Tony Markley
High Water Hill Farm
Lovettsville, VA 20180

#4 2013-11-17 02:22:07

poplar girl
Administrator

It would be wonderful if you can get some feedback from an APA judge Tony. Please let me know if he has any suggestions or comments.

Barring any changes as a result of feedback this week I too will use this version for the upcoming show in Alberta.

#5 2013-11-17 03:05:08

Maggiesdad

Walt is a chairperson on the APA's Standard Revision Committee. He seems like a really nice guy, I was just too scared to do it myself!

Go Tony! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

#6 2013-11-17 17:46:05

Island Girl

I dont have time this morning to go over in detail what has been written (changed) but of couse with a quick scan i see that the number of points has been changed. I was hoping to have more points added but I will read more carefully tonite and see what we are up to with our SOP, I have missed you guys :happycrowd"

XOX Monika

#7 2013-11-18 00:12:42

poplar girl
Administrator

Monika there is still time for you to fill out the survey, i don't recall seeing one from you. It seems quite a few people agree with you that 7 points on the comb should be the standard and a few more survey's may tip the majority.

#8 2013-11-18 02:02:20

Micah and Kiah

Is it barred buff or is it crele?  I will share with some judges and master exhibitors in Milton at the Ontario Poultry Breeders Annual show if you wish.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#9 2013-11-18 03:08:41

Maggiesdad

It should be the gorria plus the barring gene, so barred red. I don't think they are crele. They shouldn't have the gray underpants.
)but then I don't know much, so don't quote me! :chairhide:)

#10 2013-11-18 14:03:33

poplar girl
Administrator

M&K, it's not crele for sure as MD stated, we don't want the grey.

As for barred buff or barred red that's tougher. Reading the Spanish literature they say barred red columbian and that the barring gene lightens the color of the marraduna. But I have a true barred red columbian pullet here from one of my gorria/marraduna crosses and she is way more red than I think a marraduna should be. On the other hand some of my gorria are too light a red so I'm beginning to think that there is something more than just the barring gene different between the two colors.

My suggestion would be to take a copy of the draft SOP and some photos with you. Let the judge see what color we are trying to describe. Either from our own photos or from the web you should be able to find some photos of the correct colored EOs. Maybe we can pick which photos to show the judges together?

:thanks: for the offer to show the draft SOP to some APa judges!

#11 2013-11-18 19:13:47

Micah and Kiah

Troy is awesome as is Pete.  Both are judges and master exhibitors.  I was blessed with a number of correctly coloured Maraduna and Gorria so for sure I could share photos with you and then discuss which birds. I will ask Pete and Troy if they would be willing to have some EOs and I visit them (once the hectic rush of the show is done for them) and really sit down and discuss them. 
Here is advice I've already been told by some showers:

Beak: I don't like vigorous in there. I think a word describing the length would be more appropriate.

Back: you need a length and a bit more description like broad the entire length, or tapering to tail etc.

Body. You need more detail there too. A large portion of the allocated points go towards back, breast and body. This is what makes the breed.

Plumage: it would be nice to have a comment on the plumage. Tight fitting, loose, etc.

Add more detail to the hen description. Just copy the cock description and tweak it slightly to apply. Especially in the neck and back. There is no mention of the hackles and the cushion.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#12 2013-11-18 19:49:32

poplar girl
Administrator

Micah and Kiah wrote:

Troy is awesome as is Pete.  Both are judges and master exhibitors.  I was blessed with a number of correctly coloured Maraduna and Gorria so for sure I could share photos with you and then discuss which birds. I will ask Pete and Troy if they would be willing to have some EOs and I visit them (once the hectic rush of the show is done for them) and really sit down and discuss them. 

Beak: I don't like vigorous in there. I think a word describing the length would be more appropriate.

Back: you need a length and a bit more description like broad the entire length, or tapering to tail etc.

Body. You need more detail there too. A large portion of the allocated points go towards back, breast and body. This is what makes the breed.

Plumage: it would be nice to have a comment on the plumage. Tight fitting, loose, etc.

Add more detail to the hen description. Just copy the cock description and tweak it slightly to apply. Especially in the neck and back. There is no mention of the hackles and the cushion.

Those are all excellent comments M&K. Some smart, experienced folks you've been talking to.

Now for the toughest part, to address each comment, how should the SOP read? Would definately like members to provide some suggestions.

And even if we come up with sone suggestions, taking some EOs with you and sitting down with Troy and Pete and asking them to help with the descriptions would have huge value. That would be really amazing to get their feedback!!

#13 2013-11-19 01:36:43

Micah and Kiah

I'm planning to wait to ask until after the show.  In the meantime. how did the person who decided the heads should be rectangular decide that?  Was he basing it on a similar breed?

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#14 2013-11-19 02:37:13

poplar girl
Administrator

The SOP is pretty much a direct translation of the Spanish SOP for traits like that M&K as far as I recall. It may be worth re-translating that part of the description just to check. I'll have to see if I can find it in the original Spainish.

#15 2013-11-19 03:05:39

poplar girl
Administrator

Okay I take back my comment. I don't know where the idea of a rectangular head came from. I went back to the Spanish SOP and translated again. Long and wide is the translation as stated in the draft SOP. To me that would be square. There is no reference anywhere to a rectangle that I am aware of. So I don't know where the reference to a rectangular head comes from.

We would need to look back at Lisa's post....

#16 2013-11-19 14:16:12

poplar girl
Administrator

Here is a link to Lisa's excellent notes based on the judges's comments:
http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=1763

Please keep in mind that this was one judge’s opinion/suggestions on a crazy, busy day with a breed that was not very familiar to him. We think Judge Minnich was extremely helpful, and we are very grateful for the time that he took with us!

Head
•    Standard says “long” – very few other birds say this. This is the distance from where the beak joins the head to the back of the skull. Most birds say “moderate” or “medium” – this makes eo’s different from most chickens.
•    Standard says “wide” – this is the distance across the skull sideways (like from one ear to the other). Many other breeds also say wide.
•    Put them together – you get a rectangle head, not a square or rounded head. Look for the rectangle.
•    Judge made the point that heads are worth 28 points out of 100, so they are important.

Reading this it is clear how the judge determined that EOs should have a rectangular head. Interesting that the Catalanas are the same, this gives me some comfort that the description we have used for EOs is appropriate.

#17 2013-11-19 14:35:01

poplar girl
Administrator

Micah and Kiah wrote:

Reading the APA SOP for other breeds I would suggest we subsitute "strong" for "vigorous". Strong is used to describe several breeding including buff Catalanas, anconas, sicilian buttercups.

For Catalans the SOP reads "straight [and] broad it's entire length, moderately long and sloping slightly downward to tail". It seems like many of our EOs taper to the tail (I think this is referred to as a pinched tail). What is proper for EOs?

Would it be accurate to describe the body as "Broad, deep, moderately long, carried slightly higher in front than rear."

I can't find where this is described for each breed in the APA SOP. On pg 29 under "importance of feather quality" general feather descriptions for various classes are listed. "d) All Mediterranean, Hamburgs, and Polish: Feathers moderately broad and long, fitted rather close to the body." in the Spanish EO SOP it says "Plumage: Fairly tight and round pen." (Pen are feathers I think). I could add a category for Plumage to our draft SOP that repeats what the APA says for Mediterranean etc if that would be an appropriate description?

#18 2013-11-19 14:44:20

poplar girl
Administrator

I think it's worth looking back at the original translation of the Spanish SOP and comparing to what we have. Maybe some things have been left out or interpreted wrong in out draft and should be reconsidered. For example, look at the color description for gorria in comparison to what we've got...
To follow the full thread: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/post.php … p;qid=4442

gubi wrote:

Excellent post Lisa, I was thinking about this today too.  Here is the goggle translated Standard.  Maybe some of you could help put it into proper english.
goggle translated from here
http://www.eoalak.com/es/content/est%C3 … skal-oiloa

Avian breed standard oiloa euskal . (11/05/2000)

Made by: Joxean Mendizabal, Fernando Orozco, Amadeu Francesch, Mariano
Gomez, disclosing EOALAK Association.

Origin and general characteristics:

Dr. Fernando Orozco and his team in 1975, within a program location, preservation and study of native breeds of chickens held in the Department of Animal Genetics INIA introduced hens typical Basque farmhouses, with different colors and selected to obtain pure strains. Based on this work, Dr. Jose Antonio Mendizabal drafted the breed standard.

Bird is a medium-weight, simple peak and median tarsi red and yellow lugs.
It is a hardy breed and dual purpose: setting acceptable both as meat production.
Plumage: Fairly tight and round pen.
Eggs: Rather large , about 60 grams and brown shell.
Weight: about 3.6 kg Gallo - 2.5 kg hen
ring diameter (in mm.) Gallo 20 - Hen 18.

Morphology of the rooster

Head : Long and wide.

Face: Smooth and bright red.
Cresta: Simple, medium size, straight and steady. It presents five to seven well-defined teeth.
The spur appears slightly raised from the neckline. Bright red. Chins: Long, thin and smooth, rounded lower edge. Bright red.
lugs: Medium size, smooth and flush with the face, smooth and lanceolate. Bright red.
Pico: Strong, vigorous and well curved. In varieties Gorria, Zilarra Lepasoila and predominates in the upper jaw dark brown on the horny yellowish on the bottom may appear dark brown spots but only in the proximal part. In Marraduna is entirely yellow, without spots, and the black is Beltza.
Eyes: Large and oval, with the iris brown.
Neck: Moderately long, well sprung abundant cape, floating on his back.

Trunk :

Back: Broad and fall slightly toward the tail heavy fringes of medium length.
Chest: Broad, deep and well rounded.
Abdomen: Fairly developed.
Tail: Medium in size. Rectrices broad and overlapping, placed at an angle of 45 ° above horizontal. Sickles of medium length, well arched.

Tips :

Wings: Large, well-folded and tight to the body.
Thighs: Strong and robust.
Tarsus: Rather long, thick, heavy and yellowish, with four fingers.

As the cock except the beak, which is less curved, the ridge, in contrast to the Mediterranean races, is right, do not hang to the side and is less developed than in them. The barbels are shorter and rounder. The lugs are smaller, but retaining the lanceolate. The chest is outgoing and wide but less than the rooster. The tail is rather small, slightly raised (35 °), with rectrices broad and overlapping. Thighs and tarsi, as in the cock, but in proportions own sex.

Gorria

Gallo : The cape and tassels are red orange, highlighted by his brilliance on the rest of plumage. At the end of the feather cape presented in its center, a black spear. In the wings, bow and covers are brownish. In primary and secondary flight feathers brown predominates, without reddish in this case, the black, we value the more proportion of animals present chestnut. The 8-10 feathers that form the bottom row of flight coverts are black. The tail and sickles rectrices black with metallic green sheen. The back and seat are reddish brown, like the bow and wing covers. The front of the neck, chest, body and thighs are dark brown. The Subcolors is cream.

Gallina : The general plumage is brown tone. The neck features a orange hue but are not as pronounced as in the cocks. At the end of the neck is black-tipped feathers, and tail rectrices are black or predominantly black. Metal is bright but less than the roosters.

Marraduna

Gallo : The plumage of this variety is mainly characterized by the presence of mixed white stripes with the colors described in the Gorria. A second remarkable fact is that all keys are cleared chestnuts, like the black. Here Subcolors is ivory.

Gallina : The clay is more diffuse, it is desirable that is most markedly. It's on the sides, at the height of the thighs, that one appreciates it. Brown tones are clearer.

#19 2013-11-19 14:59:00

Island Girl

please direct me to the survey :whistle:

XOX Monika

#20 2013-11-19 23:41:48

Micah and Kiah

:goodthread: 
Trying to get ready for the OPB show.  Only have to bath 9 birds tonight, 9 tomorrow and I am done!  I like your thinking PG, will comment after the show.  (this show had a post date deadline which I mistakingly thought Colwyn did which is why I had birds at Colwyn.  Thankifully they let my wee nephew show his birds anyway!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#21 2013-11-27 02:15:08

poplar girl
Administrator

I would like to send a draft of our SOP to Walt Leonard, the APA judge who has agreed to review our draft SOP and is responsible for review of applications for acceptance of new varieties and breeds into the APA Standard of Perfection. Since he just saw the birds and the visuals and conversation ares still fresh it would be great to get some feedback on the SOP for everyone so we can send it to him fairly soon. That said it is important we are all in agreement as much as possible as presenting a unified front to the APA is very important.

I like most of what we have. I have a word version edited to add the descriptions I have in bold above for the back, body and plumage. That is the version I used at the recent CHB show.

I also think it was wrong to change the marraduna color description to use "buff". I think our original description of red gold and light red gold are closer so I would propose to change it back. For the wing front and bows is medium chestnut red accurate of is that describing too dark a color?

What changes would you guys suggest? Let me know and the  I'll post an edited version here so we can all take a look ...

#22 2013-11-30 14:39:09

Lisa

PG and everybody,

Sorry to be joining this thread so late - I was mostly off-line for a few weeks.

When I was obsessively going through the standard to find"barn" information on other breeds that sorta resembled our EO's, I found a bunch that were helpful. Below is information copied from the latest APA SOP on Catalanas, White Faced Black Spanish, Andalusians, Anconas, Sicilian Buttercups and Sussex (surprisingly).  Here's what I compiled, for the males, as a place to start. I've added a guess for the EO's, based on ideas from others on this thread and some ideas from me.

PLEASE feel free to disagree, change, clarify, etc. It's the only way we'll get something that works!=D

Head:
- Cat - large, long, wide, deep
- Span - long, broad, deep
- And - moderately long and deep
- Anc - Moderate in length, fairly deep, inclined to be flat on top
- Butter - Medium in size and length, fairly deep
- Sussex - Moderately large, broad, medium in length
EO now - Long and wide
Thoughts: to me, the EO head doesn't seem overly large for its body, but maybe it is....
EO possibility - "Moderately large, long, wide, deep"

Back:
- Cat - Straight, broad its entire length, moderately long and sloping slightly downward to tail
- Span - long and broad, sloping downward to tail
- And - rather long, moderately broad its entire length, high at shoulders, sloping slightly to tail
- Anc - Of good length, rather wide its entire length, somewhat rounded at shoudlers slightly sloping downward from shoulders to saddle then rising with a concave sweep to tail
- Butter - Long, moderately broad and straight, sloping downward to saddle, then rising with slight concave sweep to tail
- Sussex - Long, flat, broad its entire length, sloping slightly to tail
EO now - Broad, sloping slightly downward to the tail.
Thoughts - Kathy, I think the back is supposed to be same the entire length (not sure why I think that, except that Judge Minnich was concerned about pinch-tail). Is the back really straight, or does it have a curve? Must go look at my boys... Doesn't seem as long as the buttercup, sussex or spanish)
EO possibility - DK - maybe "Moderately long, broad its entire length, straight, sloping slightly downward to saddle"?

Breast:
- Cat - Broad, deep, well rounded and prominent
- Span - Deep, well-rounded
- And - Broad, deep, well-rounded, carried well up and forward
- Anc - Well-rounded, carried well forward
- Butter - Broad, full and carried well forward
- Sussex - Broad, deep, rounding nicely into body
EO now - Broad, deep and well-rounded
Thoughts - Is the breast "prominent" or carried "well forward" or "up"? DK...
EO possibility - "Broad, deep and well-rounded"

Wings:
- Cat - Quite large, well folded and held tight to the body
- Span - Large, well-folded and carried without drooping
- And - Large, well-folded, carried without drooping
- Anc - Large, well-folded, carried without drooping
- Butter - Large, well-folded and carried close to dody without drooping
- Sussex - Rather long, well-folded, carried closely to body without drooping; points well covered with saddle feathers
EO now - Large, well-folded and held tightly to the body
Thoughts - Judge Minnich seemed to think the wings should be held up horizontal - drooping was bad (guess he was thinking of other Med. birds)
EO possibility -"Large, well-folded, held tight to the body and carried without drooping"

Beak:
- Cat - Medium length, strong, well curved
- Span - Rather long, stout
- And - Medium length, nicely curved
- Anc - Medium in length, strong, nicely curved
- Butter - Medium length, strong
- Sussex - Stout, rather short, slightly curved
EO now - Strong, vigourous and well curved
Thoughts - I'm with Kathy - strong doesn't sound right. We need a length here. Doesn't seem as curvy as the Catalana, and seems shorter than the Spanish
EO possibility - "Medium length, strong, nicely curved"

Neck:
- Cat - Moderately long, erect, slightly arched. Hackle - abundant flowing well over shoulders
- Span - Long, well-arched. Hackle - abundant, flowing well over shoulders
- And - Rather long, well-arched, with abundant hackle flowing well over shoulders
- Anc - Moderately long, nicely arched. Hackle - abundant, flowing well over shoulders
- Butter - Rather long, slender and well-arched. Hackle - abundant and flowing
- Sussex - Medium in length, slightly arched, having abundant hackle, flowing well over shoulders
EO now - Moderately long. Hackle abundant and flowing over the shoulders
Thoughts - we need an indicator of arching, but I don't know what it should be.
EO possibility - "Moderately long, (either slightly or well arched), with abundant hackle flowing well over shoulders"

Then there is all the other bits of the boys.... and the girls to do!! It's a start....

Last edited by Lisa (2013-11-30 14:43:19)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#23 2013-11-30 15:20:25

Micah and Kiah

Great work Lisa! I'll pull out my APA and compare with your notes too  :thumbsup:

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#24 2013-11-30 15:29:00

Lisa

Thanks Kathy!! =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#25 2013-12-01 13:41:18

Maggiesdad

Good stuff going here... I think the standard should be held open while the breed club (association) forms.

LBB, who has a decent knowledge of Spanish (and chicken), translated the marraduna portion Eoalak breeding pamphlet. Kudoes to him, and my apologies, I haven't even gotten back to him on it yet. It's just been too hectic around here.

I've gotten some interesting ideas over the past month that might help with the things we are uncertain of. PG, that ties to the phone call I mentioned, An hourlong phone call might cover what would take me weeks to get through a keyboard... :oops:

Adverts

Board footer