Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-11-08 06:21:16

CackleJoy

Sexing for newbies

Hi!  We're new to EOB's and you people are EXACTLY who we want to talk to!  Thanks for having us. 

The lady we got our chicks from kept saying "This is a pullet."   Also, "These little ones will be sexable fast."  How does she know all this?  Where is the Basque wizard?  I need that knowledge! 

So for the question.  All right, I concede poor grammar here. 

How do you know your sexes?  I have three 5-week old pullets (according to the expert), four 3-week straight run and three 1-week, also straight run.  What am I supposed to be looking for? 

If someone could post pictures of their sexed chicks and tell me how they know, I'd really appreciate it!  :please:
I will post some pictures of mine when I get to the point that I can ask more detailed questions. 

Right now they are just sweet spotted birds.

Call me clueless.
Thanks so much!

Sustainable urban family farm.  We have four children, an LPD, 3 worthless cats, a flock random egg layers (Wyandottes, Rocks, Sussex, Orp's, EE's) and breeding stock (Ameraucana's, Dark Brahma's, Basque, Swedish Flower Hens, and Mille Fluer Leghorns).  Everyday is an adventure!

2013-11-08 06:21:16

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-11-08 12:28:35

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Sexing for newbies

Well the pullets are typical a honey colour and the roosters have barred feathers.  You can usually tell by 3-4 weeks of age what sex they are.

If you could post pictures of yours so we could have a look would be great. :thumbs:

#3 2013-11-08 12:48:29

Maggiesdad

here was a fun set of threads from when I was a chikken noobie... heck - I still am! :oops:

http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=396

The can fool you when they are young, I still guess wrong sometimes - but it's always great fun to watch them grow!

Your best bet at hatch (out of a given pairing) is down color, since the pullets only have one barring gene, they SHOULD be darker than the cockerels. (Won't work for chicks from different parents.)

But don't worry, they know what they are! :chickout:

#4 2013-11-08 13:12:19

poplar girl
Administrator

And then if you wait a little longer the boys start to get a cute little bubble gum pink comb...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2013-11-08 16:15:48

CackleJoy

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Well the pullets are typical a honey colour and the roosters have barred feathers.  You can usually tell by 3-4 weeks of age what sex they are.

If you could post pictures of yours so we could have a look would be great. :thumbs:

It might take me a little.  I'll figure this out so I can post pictures.  :surfing:

Thank you all, I'm so excited to learn this!

I love that we don't have to wait 8, 10, or 12 weeks for ID :jumping:

Sustainable urban family farm.  We have four children, an LPD, 3 worthless cats, a flock random egg layers (Wyandottes, Rocks, Sussex, Orp's, EE's) and breeding stock (Ameraucana's, Dark Brahma's, Basque, Swedish Flower Hens, and Mille Fluer Leghorns).  Everyday is an adventure!

#6 2013-11-08 17:07:10

CackleJoy

Ok.  I can't figure it out.  How do I post pictures?

#7 2013-11-08 17:20:22

CackleJoy

:excited: I DID IT!  Figured it out with photobucket and didn't even have to throw the keyboard!!!  :snowman:  Ok. So that didn't even fit but I like the jumping snowman icon!

Okay, I need a different lens for up-close work.  Bear with me here.  I also don't have leg bands yet.  I want the kind that wrap around and don't tie off so they can stretch a little with the leg.  Suggestions as to where I should purchase these?  I'm overwhelmed with all the online options.

Anyway, these birds are not deformed.  I've marked some with sharpies.  :Crazy:

I read some other posts.  Based on that reading, I can now make a complete and total guess =D  .  Now they all look like males :shock:

Orange Sharpie bird: Male? Indicated by the speckles (pre-barring?) at the shoulder?  It is one of the larger two (of 4, 2 are much smaller).

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b484/rmccombs77/IMG_3479_zpsec60228e.jpg

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b484/rmccombs77/IMG_3481_zps07382608.jpg

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b484/rmccombs77/IMG_3482_zps6b38f23b.jpg

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b484/rmccombs77/IMG_3484_zps2d47dedd.jpg

#8 2013-11-08 17:26:16

CackleJoy

A small one.  Only unmarked.  Virtually no red.  Odd legs?  Not  very yellow.  What can you tell me about this one?

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b484/rmccombs77/IMG_3477_zps1bc9bb8c.jpg

#9 2013-11-09 00:26:52

poplar girl
Administrator

:nervous: it's been too long since spring when I buff up my how to tell a boy from a girl skills so my opinion's not much better than 50:50 right now.

Are the first 4 all one chick (orange sharpie) or photos of different ones?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2013-11-09 00:56:52

Flat Rock Farm

Ok, my turn to play guess my gender =D

I am assuming that the first 4 pictures of the orange sharpie chick, I'd say he is a boy.

The last chick I am going to guess is either going to be a "grey" pullet or a "lighter" boy.  Even with the poop on it's wing :sick:  :chairhide:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2013-11-09 00:58:06)

#11 2013-11-09 01:49:01

CackleJoy

poplar girl wrote:

:nervous: it's been too long since spring when I buff up my how to tell a boy from a girl skills so my opinion's not much better than 50:50 right now.

Are the first 4 all one chick (orange sharpie) or photos of different ones?

All one chick.  It's hard to know what parts to photo :)

#12 2013-11-09 01:51:23

CackleJoy

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Ok, my turn to play guess my gender =D

I am assuming that the first 4 pictures of the orange sharpie chick, I'd say he is a boy.

The last chick I am going to guess is either going to be a "grey" pullet or a "lighter" boy.  Even with the poop on it's wing :sick:  :chairhide:

I know gross!  They were transported with older chicks... some of the little ones almost need a bath!

So what are you looking at exactly that tells you boy?

#13 2013-11-09 02:03:16

Maggiesdad

The last pic is a girl... you can see it in the shape of her eye, head and beak, and the way she stands. Girls are heavier in the egg department, therefore to balance her stance is more forward instead of upright. Also, girls run to the corners of the brooder box and boys stay to the front and check you out.

If you believe all of that I've got some land I want to sell you! ;)

#14 2013-11-18 18:50:59

mikencarol

......MD.......You have been around this block WAY too many times to call yourself a newbie.....  :whistle:.....maybe a Pioneer....:wise:......by the way, does that land for sale come pre-stocked with EOs?.......                               MIKE

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#15 2013-11-19 00:38:39

Amblecroft
Website

Cute chickies .  I think a boy an a girl.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#16 2013-11-19 00:54:30

CackleJoy

Amblecroft wrote:

Cute chickies .  I think a boy an a girl.

Thank you!  Since it has been a couple weeks I am going to take new photos and repost soon.  I still don't totally know what I'm looking for.  On the 7 week pullets - it's obvious!  I just want to learn how to ID the younger ones.

#17 2013-11-27 22:32:11

CackleJoy

So I never did figure out how everyone could tell at such a young age. :huh:  I supposed I'll learn.  Now, at 6 weeks - it's easy peasy!

For ACTUAL Newbies, some of the pullets are speckled enough that it's almost impossible to tell unless you have a cockerel close at hand for comparison. 
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b484/rmccombs77/IMG_3750_zpsfa15a967.jpg

Now see a cockerel.
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b484/rmccombs77/IMG_3744_zps9a58bf4f.jpg

This is another cockerel, he has more rust so I expect him to grow out better.  Am I correct to be looking for that rust color?  Oh, I should probably be directing color questions to anther section of the forum. Learning over here!
http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b484/rmccombs77/IMG_3751_zpsbc7f8bc9.jpg

It's been neat to see all the birds feathering out.  I have Swedish Flower Hens too and I was surprised at how close some of the speckled ones look.

#18 2013-11-28 00:40:30

gubi
Website

It looks like yours will be more of a millie fleure color.  usually you can tell the marraduna colored chicks fairly young.  The boys will have very distinct barring which is easiest to tell when they start to get feathers on their necks.  The girls are more of a uniform red/brown/buff color

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#19 2013-11-28 02:46:53

CackleJoy

gubi wrote:

It looks like yours will be more of a millie fleure color.  usually you can tell the marraduna colored chicks fairly young.  The boys will have very distinct barring which is easiest to tell when they start to get feathers on their necks.  The girls are more of a uniform red/brown/buff color

We are blessed to have a couple better birds =D Those were just the same age and showed how if the barring wasn't showing how hard it would be to show gender.

#20 2013-11-28 02:51:32

poplar girl
Administrator

You're absolutely right CackleJoy, it's pretty easy to tell a young pullet from a young cockerel when they are the correct color but if they happen to be splash or speckled or some other strange non-standard color it can be very hard to tell until they start to develope that little red comb (or not).

#21 2013-11-28 13:14:41

Prairie Chick

I don't look at feather color, I look at the comb, wattle and size.

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#22 2013-11-28 15:09:46

Lisa

CackleJoy,

I must have missed your first posts.... just wanted to say boy do you fit in around here! =D :welcome:

I'm with everybody else - I look at combs/wattles, stance (what Glen said) and also the thickness of the legs. Sometimes you can tell because the lads have tree trunks and the lasses look more lady-like (but not always).

Glad you are enjoying your birds!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer