Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-10-16 21:01:41

PeaDazzled Acres

Are these white EO's?

These were suppose to be white EO's. The only reason why I am asking if you think they are or not is because they do not look the same as my other two EO hens, feather wise (tail) or in the comb. These ones also have blue legs. I am very new to EO's so I am interested in your views about them. Thanks

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/haliski1/DSC03398_zps4f85302c.jpg

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/haliski1/DSC03349_zps789485e1.jpg

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/haliski1/DSC03347_zpsb91ed01f.jpg

2013-10-16 21:01:41

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-10-16 21:49:22

NaturesPace
Website

Re: Are these white EO's?

my recessive white EO has bright yellow legs and beak. I'm guessing those are not EOs. looks like you have a couple of boys on your hands.

love your guineas. I can't wait to get more. we have one sky blue guinea from our original 6. He hangs out with the chickens and seems to fancy the Orpington ladies.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#3 2013-10-17 01:04:34

poplar girl
Administrator

Although EOs can certainly turn up in recessive white and it seems they are most common in Manitoba I don't think these are EOs either. I agree with all your reasons why not PD...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2013-10-17 01:29:14

Flat Rock Farm

With those blue legs they looks like the French "Bresse" chickens!!!

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z341/Wycrazy/images_zpsfe29e53d.jpg

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2013-10-17 01:32:57)

#5 2013-10-17 02:44:00

Amblecroft
Website

Yes, they do look like the French Bresse and I've been trying to find some of them!  Where did you get them PeaDazzled?  Are they what is called the Blue Foot in Canada?  I wouldn't mind getting some if you can help me.

Last edited by Amblecroft (2013-10-17 04:08:46)

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#6 2013-10-17 14:12:49

PeaDazzled Acres

Amblecroft wrote:

Yes, they do look like the French Bresse and I've been trying to find some of them!  Where did you get them PeaDazzled?  Are they what is called the Blue Foot in Canada?  I wouldn't mind getting some if you can help me.

Unfortunately they are not French Bresse as the seller did not have that breed. These were suppose to be EO's. :huh: I don't know what they are. They sorta look like the Orps I got but yet still different from them. I sure do hope they are not both roosters, they are molting and I can't tell right now. One looks like a roo. They will be expensive :eat: if they are.  Sorry I don't know what the Blue Foot is.

#7 2013-10-18 01:31:13

PeaDazzled Acres

NaturesPace wrote:

my recessive white EO has bright yellow legs and beak. I'm guessing those are not EOs. looks like you have a couple of boys on your hands.

love your guineas. I can't wait to get more. we have one sky blue guinea from our original 6. He hangs out with the chickens and seems to fancy the Orpington ladies.

You are right NaturesPace seems I do have two roosters! :(  Checked them both over really good tonight and yep both have long pointed feathers on neck now. Not EO's and not hens  :sad:  :shock:

Do you have a picture of your sky blue Guinea? Would love to see it. :love:

Last edited by PeaDazzled Acres (2013-10-18 01:33:46)

#8 2013-10-18 14:33:58

Amblecroft
Website

If you find out any more about your mysterious white ones I'd like to hear.  If you lived closeby I'd take them.  Were you told they were "white" EOs?  The only white ones are the Zilarra and certainly not with blue legs

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#9 2013-10-18 14:38:03

poplar girl
Administrator

Amblecroft the EOs population in North America carries a recessive white allele. I think it came from the BHR line and it is especially common in the Manitoba population that decended from Barney. It is also present in the US population. I have none myself so far but there are white EOs although these are not examples of them.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2013-10-18 15:26:55

gmb

:hug: I know you paid a pretty good buck for them :stomp:  eggs coming your way when weather is good to ship and you're ready for them, you just let me know.  :layer:
:EO:
:whistle: and yes will send you your fluffy pants cochin eggs too :thumbsup:

PeaDazzled Acres wrote:

Amblecroft wrote:

Unfortunately they are not French Bresse as the seller did not have that breed. These were suppose to be EO's. :huh: I don't know what they are. They sorta look like the Orps I got but yet still different from them. I sure do hope they are not both roosters, they are molting and I can't tell right now. One looks like a roo. They will be expensive :eat: if they are.  Sorry I don't know what the Blue Foot is.

#11 2013-10-18 21:40:00

Flat Rock Farm

poplar girl wrote:

Amblecroft the EOs population in North America carries a recessive white allele. I think it came from the BHR line and it is especially common in the Manitoba population that decended from Barney. It is also present in the US population. I have none myself so far but there are white EOs although these are not examples of them.

Especially with those blue legs!!!!  Never had any with blue legs, they really look like Bresse to me :huh:

#12 2013-10-18 22:49:34

Prairie Chick

When I seen them I thought white Orp but I don't know if there is such a thing.

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#13 2013-10-19 02:24:34

PeaDazzled Acres

Prairie Chick wrote:

When I seen them I thought white Orp but I don't know if there is such a thing.

When I took them out the box I thought they were Orps as well. Was told they were EO's. I wanted to know what they were as they looked different from the EO's I was sent. Since posting these photos I have done more research on the Orps and I am pretty sure now that is what they are. Here is a part of a write up that I found on line about Blue Orpingtons and Splash. Pay particular attention to the last two lines. I am pretty sure that is what these boys are.

The Blue Orpington was developed by Mr Cook before the First World War which was a limiting factor preventing them becoming very popular :
They appear to have been developed from selected breeding of Black, White and Cuckoo with a little Spangled.
Today Buff, Black, White, Blue and Spangled Orpington's are recognised by the British Poultry Club but I believe only the Buff and the Blue have utility strains nowadays in the UK. Maybe, with the increasing demand for birds to be productive as well as beautiful and especially for good table birds for the domestic market, that more of you will look at your selecting for eggs and carcase quality.

The genetics of the blue feathering means that you get a variety of colours in the youngstock

• almost a black - an iridescent blue/black that is gorgeous [not the same as the Black Orpington]
•a superb smoky colour with each feather darker laced
•or a pale lavender with darker streaks.
•and very occasionally a white will appear [it is likely that this is a splash as it has some shading as a chick and blue legs

#14 2013-10-19 02:36:32

PeaDazzled Acres

gmb wrote:

:hug: I know you paid a pretty good buck for them :stomp:  eggs coming your way when weather is good to ship and you're ready for them, you just let me know.  :layer:
:EO:
:whistle: and yes will send you your fluffy pants cochin eggs too :thumbsup:

Thanks Glenda. You are a good friend. :thumbs: We will do some EO egg swapping and really looking forward to the fluffy pants Cochins!! :love: :cheer: :jumping: :thumbsup:

In a few days I will have EO eggs in the bator and will see what my new girls and boys give me. :excited:

Last edited by PeaDazzled Acres (2013-10-19 02:40:02)

#15 2013-10-21 16:50:44

NaturesPace
Website

some images of my guineas can been seen here. http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=465

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

Adverts

Board footer