Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-10-11 14:00:40

hollowridge

Soft Shell

Help Please,
We have an marraduna pullet that is laying a soft shell egg that is  pale, rough and so thin that it is almost transparent out of 4other E.O.’s and 7 Australorps, she is the only one. They are 28 weeks old and have been laying  for 8-11 weeks now except for her who has only been laying for approximately 5-6 weeks.  This past week she has been laying every day and just stopped for two days, and we thought there her body will catch up, but she just laid another soft broken egg.:(  They all have laying crumbs, oyster shells and we give them sunflower seeds and greens; all rich things in calcium. We have even given vitamin water, but no we haven’t given them their own eggs; I just can’t do that no matter what.  All the rest of the hens and pullets are laying fine, good shells but her; we have been trying very hard to get her eggs to improve.  Anyone have any advice or had this problem?  My husband says if it continues he will put her in the freezer as she is no good for egg production or for future stock.:eat:

Please help as she was to be our future breed stock, she had the best coloring and yellow legs unlike the others; she seems to be behind the others and has some other issues I believe as well, not sure is she can see the best.  When you hand her a treat she always misses the treat and pecks your fingers instead.  I call her PRINCESS PEA.   :nervous:

2013-10-11 14:00:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-10-11 14:12:50

Maggiesdad

Re: Soft Shell

My mature hens lay pale rough thin eggs just as they are getting ready to stop laying, but I haven't seen this with pullets.... don't know about this one.

The softie in me says give her a chance and see what she's doing next Feb. :huh:

#3 2013-10-11 15:47:40

Flat Rock Farm

I agree with MD, give her a chance.  I have had pullets and hens do it before in the past and it resolves on it's own.  I am not sure why it happen's as I am the same, give them oyster shells and any crushed up eggs shells from eggs I have used, they get greens and any table treasures I have left.

Give her some time :thumbs:

#4 2013-10-12 11:48:41

hollowridge

Thanks, Maggiesdad & Flat Rock, we are planning on giving her awhile more, we have to be careful, due to the soft shell and breaking it has promoted a few of them being eaten as well and we don't want to start that happening.  :no no:

Flat Rock, how long did yours stay this way?  I am scared that she may have a problem in her egg track making system( sorry don't know the correct terms)  I may have to look that up, and with her being so far behind the others if she does come around do you think she will be okay for our future stock? :huh:

#5 2013-10-12 11:58:51

Flat Rock Farm

I would give her at least until spring that's just my opinion, anyone else can pipe in.  I have noticed it more with either the younger pullets and the older hens, not sure what's up with that, maybe it has to do with the beginning or the end of egg production process :huh:

Yes you don't want the egg eaters again!!!  :nervous:

#6 2013-10-12 13:12:49

gmb

In the goat world they say alfalfa hay is high in calcium, wonder if alfalfa pellets may help?  We have added/mixed it to laying mash before for the hens and they did love it.  Peafowl love it too!

#7 2013-10-22 14:50:27

debbiej

I find when I feed my hens too many treats, the shells tend to get soft on the hens that eat the most  treats.  Try feeding only layer ration and oyster shells

Adverts

Board footer