Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-09-19 09:02:31

Island Girl

Double check for these faults before you show your EO

Feather Stubs: I couldn't  believe my eyes when the show tag said feather stubs ... no way, was that judge blind? I whipped my beloved up and coming breeder out of her cage, unceremoniously turned her upside down and checked the bottoms/nope none there then checked the tops/nope none there then checked the shanks/nope none there/then I checked every single toe still nothing, of course getting crankier by the moment, me not the bird although I am sure she was not impressed either, I separated each and every toe and checked OMG there they were, 2 little feather stubs between one toe :stomp: I missed them ... Rico did not, lol!! Well done Rico, another lesson learned Monika  ;)

Floppy Combs: Although this pullet was a full pound heavier than any hens I have and very good coloring in her feather and her legs I totally missed the fact that  her comb does flop a little to one side like a leghorn. Heather suggested I do not use her in a breeding program as its easier not to have to fight with that flaw. Another lesson learned.

Crooked Breastbone: Rico found this in Mr Studly. I have to say that I did check for it but I did not run my hand down far enough along the entire breast. As I said before in another post, this could be hereditary but it may also be environmental. I am not using him in my next breeding sessions but he is definitely my back up roo as he throws beautiful big hens. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again if he was the only roo I had but Muffie won over him at the shows so I have a better roo of a further away breeding line.

Thats all I have for now, but again I will add to this when I think of more stuff to share. I think pictures of the comb and stubs would be a good idea if you want to see them.

XOX Monika

As requested we will keep a tally of everyone's additions to the list in the first post on this thread:

Split Wing - when you hold the wing open its like there's a feather missing between the two halves. I stead of the wing having a slight indent but being continuous there is a gap.

clipped wings - a judge with disqualify any bird that has had its wings clipped.

Side Sprig - points on the comb that come out to the side. Here is a picture: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=526

2013-09-19 09:02:31

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-09-19 13:52:54

Prairie Chick

Re: Double check for these faults before you show your EO

Pics would be great and thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#3 2013-09-19 14:44:04

poplar girl
Administrator

To add to the list based on my own experience:

Split Wing - when you hold the wing open its like there's a feather missing between the two halves. I stead of the wing having a slight indent but being continuous there is a gap.

clipped wings - a judge with disqualify any bird that has had its wings clipped.

Side Sprig - points on the comb that come out to the side. Here is a picture: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=526

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2013-09-19 16:30:18

Island Girl

Oh my a thought has formed before my first sip of coffee with you guys this morning :P  Mods can u put my list and pgs list in the same post, oh hold it lol pg you are an admin you could do that! Glad I already told you I haven't had my coffee yet. I think it would be easier to read if it was one continual list instead of having to cipher through all our chatter, but of course the chatter is still important!

XOX Monika

#5 2013-09-19 17:03:31

Flat Rock Farm

I agree :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer