Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-09-18 16:55:48

Island Girl

Time to talk about Mr Studly and some of my summer findings ...

I just wrote this up to post on ACE and then I came over here to catch up, so I did a copy and paste but will clarify more info later XOX

I had Mr Studly (EO Roo) in a number of poultry shows this summer and and it was a great learning experience. I also entered Muffie and a variety of hens and pullets. That was one of the smartest things I did as I learned different things about them all and I certainly have learned how to and what to look for. I tell you there is nothing more exhilarating than to have a judge pull you out of a group of people by name all who are following her around like a bunch of puppies (with permission by the fair coordinators). Thank you Heather Hayes for going over my birds with a fine toothed comb with me. Can you believe she handed me the standard we are working on and gave me her pen and said "I talk, you write" :lovedrool:  Man oh man can I write fast, lol!! She took the time to show me what different things meant in the standard and how that applied to my bird (mostly Mr Studly), it was fascinating. As was expected he can not get any points or major ribbons because he (they as in EO's) are not accepted in the SOP but she knows how important this is to those of us working on it and she was more than happy to help us. WOW I truly can not say enough of how supportive she was!! I have learned that Muffie is a far superior bird in many ways. He is almost as big as MrStudly and he is not even a year old. I also learned how important it is to keep records, MUFFIE IS NOT MR STUDLY'S SON!!, he is a roo I picked up at our local swap from a lady who started breeding them but has since lost all her roos, he is actually from a further away line than those I do have woohoo!! Also his color is better, his comb is better (need to clarify # of points on our standard), he has great legs and feet, all over he is a great bird. I love his crow (I have a thing about nice crowing) and he is a gentle bird with me, a little rammy with his ladies but not too rammy. I am so excited to start breeding him. I may even start this month and breed him over this fall ... that will be another post to pick brains, lol. During another show it was pointed out to me that MrStudly actually has a crooked breastbone, possibly not genetic but possibly. I have taken him out of the breeding program but lets not forget he did father the pullets who are weighing in at a full pound heavier than their mothers and they are not fully mature. THis is actually one of the most exciting things that I did learn as it means I have improved the breed, ever so slightly, but still an improvement. Size is important whether you are showing or using your birds for meat and eggs, which I do all of ... so yay! I am sure I will be adding to this post as I think of things to tell you but I really needed to start sharing this information, especially to those of you who have purchased eggs from me or who have purchased birds from my lines. And yes I proudly say my lines because now I believe I have earned that distinction. Yardbirds your birds would be from this line :D

XOX Monika

2013-09-18 16:55:48

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-09-18 23:27:00

Maggiesdad

Re: Time to talk about Mr Studly and some of my summer findings ...

:jumping: :love:

#3 2013-09-19 01:35:31

Micah and Kiah

Re: Time to talk about Mr Studly and some of my summer findings ...

:EO:  Thanks for sharing that great info!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer