Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-09-13 12:07:19

Lindy Lou

Will I ever get the hang of this!!

Okay so after all this time I have finally managed to raise, send to the processors and eat one of my own birds. Yesterday was a trip to the processors with the Roosters we raise to feed the dogs. Also included was the two Turkeys Merry & Christmas. That's where the trouble started.
I took along my driver friend and budding chicken nut Kelly. It must have been ladies day yesterday because the LONG line up consisted of 3 men and 12 women. Of course we all got yakking about what do you raise and how etc. The lady in front of us opened up her van doors to find her husband had crated up the 3 ducks they had along with the turkeys. She was horrified and quickly decided to remove them from the kill list. That opened a can of worms for us because there looking at us with those big eyes were the Turkeys. I have never raised Turkeys before but I have decided that they are really nice. Very gentle and so cute when they are babies and I never knew that they made all those funny little cherps and whistles.
So we are getting to closer to the End of the Line so to speak and I looked over and Kelly is crying. I thought Oh no don't do that which then prompted me into a flood of tears too. The lady in front of us is crying. The guys on the dock are looking at us as if we are mad. I didn't want to let those turkeys go. Roosters I can just about handle especially the ones that attack me. Mean Buggers some of them But the Turkeys. Aughhhhhhhhh.
So if you happen to be travelling along the road from Wallenstein and saw two women towing an empty trailer and crying. Well that was us

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2013-09-13 12:07:19

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-09-13 12:15:50

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Will I ever get the hang of this!!

Aw Lynn I was thinking of you yesterday as I knew it was "D' day.  I know you were struggling with those turkeys going :hug: but I bet you are relieved to be done with "Mad Max"!!!

I can just picture the fellow's face at the loading dock with you all crying :shock:

#3 2013-09-13 14:42:59

Lisa

Lynn,

I've done it too. And it's always the turkeys...  :hug:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#4 2013-09-13 18:00:27

poplar girl
Administrator

Today was D-day but we got rescheduled for this coming Monday. I hate it too. Can't talk about it too much or I'll get upset...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2013-09-13 18:27:48

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Lynn, I have a trio of BSW for you if you want them.????

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#6 2013-09-13 21:39:46

Maggiesdad

LL, if I'd been there and seen all y'all crying I'd've cried too! :hug:

Heck I cry every time I pull up to the feed store...:(

#7 2013-09-13 22:04:37

Lindy Lou

MD I know what you mean about the feed store. Sure is getting expensive isn't it ? I tell John that he should be grateful I don't collect shoes or diamonds. Tends to throw a different perspective on things.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

Adverts

Board footer