Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-09-04 00:20:12

Amblecroft
Website

Fall Fairs and Shows

With all the Fall Fairs coming up a lot of them have poultry exhibits.  I wouldn't mind giving "chicken showing" a go but don't know where to start or if there is even a class for the EOs to exhibit in.   What should I be looking for at these show/exhibitions?

I am near Lindsay, Peterborough, Port Hope and I saw the Lindsay Exhibition has a Poultry Show but I dont' see any class that would be open for the EOs.  Or, if the Lindsay Exhibition is 4 days long do the chickens have to stay in those little pens for 4 days?  Do I stay with them all day?  Am I responsible for feeding and watering and bedding them?

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

2013-09-04 00:20:12

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-09-04 02:32:33

gmb

Re: Fall Fairs and Shows

For sure you are responsible for feeding and watering.  Ours had show cages and shavings, we had our own cages lock and key, but you may wanna check with your fair board.  All our classes where open hen, open rooster and open pairs.  It's exciting and fun.  I know our show they had to stay till 4 p.m. on the day of show and be there the first thing in morning.  Mine camped all weekend cause we do a display. . .you may also wanna check what time you have to reg'd with the fair. . .have fun!!! what are the classes?

Last edited by gmb (2013-09-04 02:39:58)

#3 2013-09-04 11:11:17

Flat Rock Farm

I think every Fair board is different.  I know in Rockton the Fur & Feather Assoc. put the poultry show on so they fed and watered all the birds the owners didn't have to.  The birds used to stay there for the duration of the Fair but I know some people took them out once judging was done.  One reason I never showed was because of the exposure to any illness.

#4 2013-09-04 11:22:49

poplar girl
Administrator

Best to get your info from an organizer of the show or someone who has attended the show before Amblecroft as it varies. Here is my experience out in Alberta. The longest show I have attended so far was 3 days and yes they needed to stay in the cages for the duration of the show. There should be information posted on when all the birds must be in the cages and when "coop out" is. Out here cages, bedding, food and water were always provided by the organizers so there would be no reason you would need to be at the show every day. I prefer to supply my birds with their own cage cups, feed and treats which the organizers have always been fine with.

As for the class for EOs, again best to talk to the organizers. It will depend on whether it is an Alberta Poutry Association can toned show and who is organizing it. I entered EOs under the Mediterranean class and then wrote the breed and variety on the cards once I got to the show.

It would be best to provide the organizing committee/judge with a copy of our breed Standard Of Perfection ahead of the show as well.

Depending on the show and time of year in preparation you should plan to do some grooming. Trim beaks and toenails if needed for sure. Wash feet. And most people bath their birds about a week before the show.

It really is fun to show birds. Although Basques are often new to the judge you still gain a lot of knowledge as certain traits are universal to most breeds and it's worth getting the judges opinion. Plus the EOs are a real crowd pleaser, lots of people will never have seen them before and in particular the marraduna color is pretty unique.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2013-09-04 11:58:20

Amblecroft
Website

You bath them?  I can't imagine doing that.  Ha, ha!  Are they that dirty?  I'll talk to the organizers and get the scoop on the coop stuff.  It sounds like fun and I would like to give it a go.  I can't imagine committing 3 days though.  I don't think that would be nice for the chickens when they are accustomed to roaming around the yard all their life.

The classes at the Lindsay Fair are:
CLASS DESCRIPTION Section CLASS DESCRIPTION Section
6039 Barred Rocks A,B 6051 Leghorn - solid colour A,B
6040 White Rocks A,B 6052 Leghorn - party colour A,B
6041 Rocks AC C,D 6053 Leghorn AC C,D
6042 Wyandottes Laced A,B 6054 Speckled Sussex A,B,C,D
6043 Wyandottes AOV A,B 6055 Polish AV A,B,C,D
6044 Wyandottes AC C,D 6055 Cornish AV A,B,C,D
6045 Cochins Buff A,B 6056 Dorking AV A,B,C,D
6046 Cochins Black A,B 6058 Minorca - black A,B,C,D
6047 Cochins AOV A,B 6059 New Hampshire A,B,C,D
6048 Cochin AC C,D 6060 Brahmas AC A,B,C,D
6049 Orpintons A,B,C,D 6061 Standard Heavy AV A,B,C,D
6050 Rhode Island Reds A,B,C,D 6062 Standard Light AV A,B,C,D
6063 Austrolorp A,B,C,D
6064 Commercial Meat Bird

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#6 2013-09-04 16:02:24

Flat Rock Farm

I only entered one show in Sarnia, I only washed feet and spot washed any poopy feathers.  I didn't bath them, some people do.......

#7 2013-09-04 16:10:44

gmb

May class 6062?

#8 2013-09-05 01:40:08

Micah and Kiah

Standard light AOV (all other varieties)

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer