Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-08-10 21:05:02

Amblecroft
Website

Hatching new eggs

OK, I feel like I've robbed the cradle here but I put 11 eggs from my new PQ hens in the incubator.  Is there any success in hatching pullet eggs.  I've seen the rooster doing his bit so I am hoping they are just normal fertilized eggs.  I have no experience with this.  Has anybody else tried hatching eggs from such youngsters?   My grandkids were visiting last weekend and since they will be returning in 3 weeks I thought I would put some eggs in for them to see hatch.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

2013-08-10 21:05:02

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-08-10 21:46:24

Maggiesdad

Re: Hatching new eggs

They will hatch, Susan.
The benefit of waiting until a hen's second season of laying is that you would know for certain if you want to use her for moving your stock forward. The drawbacks of hatching undersized eggs is that the chick will be smaller, and of a late season hatching; the chicks won't have the benefit of full growth during the summer months.

But for what you're planning they'll work just fine.

#3 2013-08-11 12:05:18

Amblecroft
Website

Re: Hatching new eggs

Thanks.  I'm glad to hear that.  The last time I didn't plan well and when the grandkids came for a weekend the eggs waited until Monday to hatch so other than listening to peeping inside of the eggs the kids didn't get much of a show.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

Adverts

Board footer