Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-08-07 15:48:22

Lisa

Ontario Show Opportunity for EO's!

H'Lo All! :hi:

I just got off the phone with Jean Homer. She is willing to consider allowing EO's at the Colwyn (yup, the COLWYN!) if I get her a copy of the Standard to review and forward to her judges, and if there is a real competition (she would like to see birds from 3 or more breeders). The Colwyn is scheduled for Saturday, Sept 28th (it's a one day show), and is located just south-east of Fergus.

I can take gorrias, but don't have any show-worthy maradunnas.

What could we offer to make a nice display (and garner interest in our fabulous birds!)?

And PG, could you remind me of where to find the latest breed standards?? :thanks:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2013-08-07 15:48:22

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-08-07 19:19:50

Micah and Kiah

Re: Ontario Show Opportunity for EO's!

My Gorrias are pretty young yet.  Will they want Mille Fleurs and Maradunas too?  What age groups? 
When is the show?

I've heard there is going to be a great show is Lucknow, just waiting for  info.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#3 2013-08-07 21:37:54

Flat Rock Farm

Well I have Kazoo who is my main breeding rooster, he has good feather colour, yellow legs, not overly large and has a crappy comb (not claval but it flops over at the back a bit).  All my good hens are in with Kazoo and they look very well "loved" :whistle:.  I have some nice young pullets but they were hatched May 4 so not mature at all. 

So I would be willing to go but all my hens looked very bare backed :(

#4 2013-08-07 21:42:36

Flat Rock Farm

Here is the SOP copied from PG's post:

ECONOMIC QUALITIES
Noted for its vigor and hardiness. A dual purpose medium weight fowl for production of both meat and eggs. Color of skin, yellow; color of egg shell varying from very light to a rich brown depending on the individual, strain and stage of production.

DISQUALIFICATIONS
White in the ear-lobes. Shanks other than yellow or dusky yellow.

STANDARD WEIGHTS
Cock..........8 lbs
Cockerel....6.5 lbs
Hen...........5.5 lbs
Pullet.........4.5 lbs

SHAPE-MALE
COMB:   Single, medium in size, straight and upright, firm and even on head with five to seven well-defined points. Blade slightly raised from the back of the neckline.
BEAK: Strong, vigorous and well curved.
FACE: Smooth.
EYES: Large and oval.
WATTLES:  Long, thin and smooth, with a rounded lower edge.
EAR-LOBES:  Medium in size, lying close to the face, smooth and lanceolate.
HEAD:  Long and wide.
NECK:   Moderately long. Hackle abundant and flowing over the shoulders.
BACK:   Broad, sloping slightly downward to the tail.  Saddle feathers abundant and medium length.
TAIL:   Moderately large.  Carried at an angle of 45 degrees (45 °) above horizontal. Main tail feathers broad and overlapping. Sickles of medium length, well arched.
WINGS:  Large, well-folded and held tightly to the body.
BREAST:  Broad, deep and well rounded.
BODY AND FlUFF: Body fairly developed. Fluff moderate.
LEGS AND TOES: Lower thighs strong and robust. Shanks rather long, thick, heavy. Toes four on each foot.

SHAPE-FEMALE
COMB:   Single, medium in size, straight and upright, firm and even on head with five to seven well-defined points. Blade slightly raised from the back of the neckline.
BEAK: Strong, vigorous, nicely curved.
FACE: Smooth.
EYES: Large and oval.
WATTLES:  Medium length, thin and smooth, with a well rounded lower edge.
EAR-LOBES:  Rather small, lying close to the face, smooth and lanceolate.
HEAD:  Long and wide.
NECK:  Moderately long.
BACK:  Broad, sloping slightly downward to the tail.
TAIL:   Rather small.  Carried at an angle of 35 degrees (35 °) above horizontal.
WINGS:  Large, well-folded and held tightly to the body.
BREAST:  Broad, deep and well rounded.
BODY AND FlUFF: Body fairly developed. Fluff moderate.

MARRADUNA BASQUES

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Entirely white feathers in the sickle or main tail feathers or in the the primary or secondary wing feathers.

COLOR-MALE

COMB, FACE, WATTLES AND EAR-LOBES:  Bright red.
BEAK:  Yellow
EYES:  Brown
HEAD: Plumage, finely barred with white and a dark shade of buff.
NECK:  Hackle finely barred with reddish buff shading at the base to golden buff with black at the centre of the feathers. Front of neck same as breast.
BACK: Barred reddish buff in upper part shading to barred lighter buff towards the saddle. Saddle finely barred golden buff, lower saddle matching lower hackle.
TAIL: Main tail alternating bars of black and white. Sickles the same as the main tail with lustrous greenish black. Coverts black and white barring, the white barring gradually turning to buff approaching the saddle.
WINGS: Front white and buff barred. Bows white and reddish buff barred. Coverts barred with white and buff. Primaries upper web barred white and black with lower edge of bottom web barred buff. Primary coverts white and black barred edged with buff. Secondaries lower web barred white and buff, this color extending around the feather sufficient to obtain a buff wing-bay and lacing the upper portion if the upper web; remainder of upper web barred white and black.
BREAST: White and buff barred.
BODY AND FLUFF: Body irregularly barred with white and buff similar to the breast. Stern irregularly and indistinctly barred with white and buff. Fluff ivory.
LEGS AND TOES: Lower thighs indistinctly barred with white and buff. Shanks and toes yellow.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Ivory

COLOR-FEMALE
BEAK:  Yellow.
EYES:  Brown.
HEAD: Buff.
NECK:  Golden buff. Lower neck feathers distinctively tipped with black. Front of neck similar to breast.
BACK: Buff with faint and indistinct white barring.
TAIL: Main tail black, shaft buff, two top feathers may be edged with buff.
WINGS: Front and bows buff. Coverts buff. Primaries upper web buff; lower web black with buff edging. Primary coverts black edged with buff. Secondaries lower web buff, wing bay, remainder of secondary black. When the wing is folded in the natural position only the buff color shows.
BREAST: Buff with faint and I distinct barring.
BODY AND FLUFF: Body buff similar to the breast with faint and indistinct white barring. Stern irregularly and indistinctly barred with white and buff. Fluff ivory.
LEGS AND TOES: Lower thighs indistinctly barred with white and buff. Shanks and toes yellow or dusky yellow.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS: Ivory

#5 2013-08-08 01:48:05

poplar girl
Administrator

I can email you a copy if you'd like Lisa. I added gorria to the bottom and have it already in an email from sending it to a couple of the poultry judges out West for shows this summer.

A September 28 show give some time to grow young birds up and to grow in some feathers or at least close to enought time as that's close to 8 weeks away.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2013-08-08 02:43:39

Lisa

PG, If you could email me a copy, including both the maradunna and gorria descriptions, that would be awesome! :thanks:

Kathy, Show date is in the post. Competition is always split between age groups (under a year, over a year) and gender, giving 4 categories (pullet, cockeral, hen, cock).

Paula, your May girls would be 4 1/2 months by then - maybe old enough to show?

Anyone know anyone else I should be asking who doesn't regularly check this site? :thanks: for the help guys. You're the best! :happycrowd"

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#7 2013-08-08 05:00:28

Island Girl

Sept 28th is my birthday, so news of someone winning a ribbon with their EO would be an awesome present  :cheer:

XOX Monika

#8 2013-08-08 11:34:43

poplar girl
Administrator

Email sent Lisa!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2013-08-08 11:49:00

Flat Rock Farm

Lisa do you have the registration papers??  If so can you email them to me??  I looks like it's my scheduled Saturday to work but if I put a request in now hopefully I can get it changed.

Yes you are right the oldest of my pullets is from PG and would be old enough to enter the youngest cockerel is from PG's eggs as well, so could enter them both.  The young cockerel has nice colour/type but has a claval comb at the back :banginghead:

Hey LL I think you had some nice cockerels in that bunch maybe there is one worth entering before they go to freezer camp :chairhide:

#10 2013-08-08 12:13:02

Lindy Lou

That's true Paula but the nicest one is also the nastiest. Doesn't that just figure. :banginghead:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#11 2013-08-08 12:23:59

Flat Rock Farm

I though he hitched a ride to freezer camp along with the Franken Chickens???

#12 2013-08-08 12:29:02

Lindy Lou

One did but as soon as he vacated top spot another one stepped in and started attacking me as I was leaving their pen!!! I don't go in there unless I'm armed. :gunslinger:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#13 2013-08-08 13:04:35

Flat Rock Farm

Well I am sorry you got another nasty in his place.  Glad I am not the only one that gets a nasty EO roosters.  Although my boys this year seem good..........so far :chairhide:

#14 2013-08-09 02:39:21

Lisa

Things are moving along. :jumping:

Jean came to visit this evening to see what EO's look like. She has a copy of our draft SOP (thanks PG and Paula!) and is going to take it home to show it to Paul and see if one of her judges is willing to take it on. I think I've talked her into it, but only if there is some competition.

I have gorrias - my oldest pullets and cockerals will be 20 weeks old by Colwyn (not sure if they will be mature enough to show!). I can send a cock bird (from Susan last year) and a mille fleur with great shape that I can enter as a maradunna. I'll be set for next year!

Anyone else got birds? I'd really like to follow through with this if we can....

#15 2013-08-09 11:15:12

Flat Rock Farm

Well I can enter a young pair of Maradunna's but they will be like 5 months old by the time of the show :huh:

#16 2013-08-09 13:40:11

poplar girl
Administrator

I would say 20 weeks is old enough Paula :thumbs:

#17 2013-08-09 17:25:20

Micah and Kiah

Lisa wrote:

Things are moving along. :jumping:

Jean came to visit this evening to see what EO's look like. She has a copy of our draft SOP (thanks PG and Paula!) and is going to take it home to show it to Paul and see if one of her judges is willing to take it on. I think I've talked her into it, but only if there is some competition.

I have gorrias - my oldest pullets and cockerals will be 20 weeks old by Colwyn (not sure if they will be mature enough to show!). I can send a cock bird (from Susan last year) and a mille fleur with great shape that I can enter as a maradunna. I'll be set for next year!

Anyone else got birds? I'd really like to follow through with this if we can....

If you are entering a Mille and Kenya and I have nice milles too... any way instead of entering them as Maraduna, they could be entered as their own colour?   I'm finding breeding a mille to a mille gets you a mille everytime. So far all the mille babies have bright yellow legs and yellow beak horn. 

I have read over the APA description of Milles and think I could make a draft in the correct format.

If milles can be entered than I have pullets and cockerals that will be old enough
I have a stunning gorria pullet and a few boys
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1120427_zpse1451cda.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1120249_zpsa35b22f8.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1110861_zps576c79f8.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1120558_zps170ce86e.jpg
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/MicahandKiah/P1120478_zps8d30ba91.jpg

I sold too many of Elevators babies as young chicks so I am buying in pullets from Patricia and Gubi but I have a number of stunning boys and would really like to show a couple of the Alberta boys from Popular Girl

I also have some d'Uccle I'd like to show there too.

Popular girl, could you repost your final draft of the Gorria SOP?

Thank you,

Kathy

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#18 2013-08-09 23:06:03

Lisa

Kathy,

That gorria girl is a heartbreaker!! :congrats:

And your millies are lovely! When Jean looked at mine, she thought the millies had the better "barn", even if the "paint job" didn't match what we were aiming for.

I think we need more input on the mille fleur thing - in Spain, they don't have a standard for them. Doesn't mean we can't write one, but there isn't something that exists that we can use as the basis for a description. My first thought would be that it might be easier to convince judges to use a standard that is already approved elsewhere (Spain) than to try and convince them to use one for a new colour pattern. That's just my best guess and I am fully content to be over-ruled - what do others think??

#19 2013-08-09 23:18:06

Flat Rock Farm

Oh Kathy that Millie pullet is beautiful!!!  :love:

Well I know the Millie's are not what the SOP has listed for EO's.  Now that said kenya entered her millie hen in the Woodstock Show in October and won best pullet, not sure what class they had her under.  I just figured it would be easier to enter the EO colours that have a SOP already :huh:

On that note I have a Gorria hen from last years hatch from Susan.  She is kind of just wasted here and is in my mixed layer pen.  If you Lisa or Kathy would like her for a nominal fee, let me know??

#20 2013-08-09 23:42:01

poplar girl
Administrator

M&K I added gorria to the bottom of the first post on our breed standard thread that is stickyed so it's all in one place:
http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopi … 6708#p6708

The color variations we are getting are truely stunning, I know I have a few Gorria mille birds this year as well and they are beautiful, alot like your pullet M&K. That said my personal thought is gorria and marraduna without the complication of Mille fleur are complicated enough colors for me. With the Mille you will need to choose a background color of either gorria or marraduna and with the barring in the marraduna I would suggest gorria. My fear is that the Mille color not being a recognized one in Spain trying to go forward with it may be even more challenging for the breed as a whole. Of course a standard could be written but I think it's important that when entering EOs in shows we make sure to enter them as a specific variety or they may just get viewed as "barnyard chickens" if variation with no consistency is too great. Mille fleur is a tough color as well. All that said, where there's a will there is certainly a way so if there are enough breeders interested in the miles I'm surenEOs of that color could become a recognized variety with enough time and effort.

#21 2013-08-10 02:25:03

riverbendfarm
Website

I don't think we should abandon the idea of Millie's. we may have to wait on getting them accepted but please don't give them up! Having them as an idea to be worked on certainly wont hurt our cause. Personally I see the Gorria base as stunning for the Millie's and plan to snag me some eggs next spring. It may be that we want to hold back on entering them while we work on a parallel SOP for ourselves? I imagine that only people who admire this coloration will work with them. After all, every breed we have is because chicken breeders love to tinker. They remind me of speckled Sussex in their patters, or Jubilee Orpingtons.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#22 2013-08-10 03:08:11

Micah and Kiah

Thank you.  I needed to hear that today!  I love my milles and am excited about the chicks they have given me.

riverbendfarm wrote:

I don't think we should abandon the idea of Millie's. we may have to wait on getting them accepted but please don't give them up! Having them as an idea to be worked on certainly wont hurt our cause. Personally I see the Gorria base as stunning for the Millie's and plan to snag me some eggs next spring. It may be that we want to hold back on entering them while we work on a parallel SOP for ourselves? I imagine that only people who admire this coloration will work with them. After all, every breed we have is because chicken breeders love to tinker. They remind me of speckled Sussex in their patters, or Jubilee Orpingtons.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#23 2013-08-10 16:11:52

Lisa

Hey Kathy!

I love the millies too - totally not suggesting we abandon them! (they seem to have that best conformation in my flock!). Just thinking about timing.... =D

#24 2013-08-10 23:47:53

Micah and Kiah

Lots of breeds have multiple colours, like D'Uccles! Leghorns are working on mille too but aren't ready propose the colour to the APA.  In talking to an Ontario judge recently, he speculated that we may not want to call them milles but mottled.  In the APA Milles means: "every feather tipped with a small white spangle, a narrow bar of black dividing the white spangle from the balance of the feather"(pg 301)
"Mottled is described in the APA from page 10 as " plumage in which a variable percentage of the feathers are tipped with white"(pg 10) It will take more work and breeding for us to decide just on that!

If the timing isn't right for Colwyn I understand. I just feel that just because the colour didn't originate in Spain doesn't mean it should be discounted, but perhaps I misunderstood?  If there is concern about entering Milles/mottled under the Maraduna, I would like to see them allowed to enter under their own colour with an addition for their colour to the SOP  just like the Gorrias.  I understand that when we are ready to work toward APA acceptance, Maraduna may go first and other colours may follow.

IF we where going to have Mottled EOs then here is a possible draft for Mottled Gorrias:

Prepared as a proposed draft from the Gorria Basque description and the Mottled description in the A.P.A. pages 37 and 38
Mottled Gorria BASQUE

DISQUALIFICATIONS
Entirely white or black feathers in the sickle or main tail feathers. Entirely white feathers in the the primary or secondary wing feathers.
Note: In all sections the white tip is V shaped
COLOR-MALE

EYES:   Chesnut or Reddish Bay
HEAD:  Lustrous red, about every third feather tipped with white
NECK:  Hackle lustrous red finely barred  A narrow black stripe extending down the middle of each feather one feather in two ending it with a small, sharply defined white tip. Front of neck same as breast. About
BACK: Red in upper parts shading to lighter red in the lower saddle about one feather in every 5 tipped with white
TAIL:  Main tail black ending in white tips. Main and lesser Sickles coverts lustrous greenish black. Coverts black gradually turning to red approaching the saddle ending in  sharply defined white tips
WINGS:  Front and bows red. Primaries black then upper edge about one feather in three ending with a white tip . Primary coverts red with black near end of feather and white tipped.
BREAST:  Red with about one feather in two white tipped.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Red similar to the breast. Fluff ivory. About one feather two white tipped
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs red. Shanks and toes yellow.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS:  Ivory

COLOR-FEMALE
EYES:  Chestnut or reddish bay.
HEAD:  Red with about one in every three feathers tipped white.
NECK:  Red. Lower neck feathers with a black stripe down the middle of each feather about one feather in two tipped white. Front of neck similar to breast.
BACK:  Red about one feather in every two ending in with a white tip.
TAIL:  Main tail black edged with red ending in white tips. Shaft red.  Coverts black gradually turning red as they approach the saddle about one in every two feathers ending in white tips
WINGS:  Front,  bars, secondaries and bows red. Secondaries and bows about one feather in two ending with a small sharply defined white tip. Primaries red with lower web of first few primary feathers black transitioning to red ending in black tips. Primary coverts  black edged with about one in two ending in white tips. When the wing is folded in the natural position only the red and white tips color shows.
BREAST:  Red about one in every two feathers ending with a small, sharply defined white tip.
BODY AND FLUFF:  Red. Fluff ivory slightly tinged with white.
LEGS AND TOES:  Lower thighs red. Shanks and toes yellow.
UNDERCOLOR OF ALL SECTIONS:  Ivory

Lisa wrote:

Hey Kathy!

I love the millies too - totally not suggesting we abandon them! (they seem to have that best conformation in my flock!). Just thinking about timing.... =D

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#25 2013-08-11 16:38:50

Lisa

Hey Kathy! =D

Had an idea I wanted to run past you - your inbox is full. Can you make me a little space?? :thanks:

Adverts

Board footer