Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-07-27 12:43:22

hollowridge

Egg Eater

We have a problem! One of our older Australorp hens started eating eggs!!:sad: She never did this before. Our now 18 week old E. O. pullets started laying and she was good with them previously but then we found a partly eaten egg, she has been hanging out in the house pacing back and forth the nest boxes and looking in them a lot over the past few days. We then caught her going into a next box right after 1 of our young pullets laid.  She jumped out and there was a peck in the egg.  From her or the pullet not 100% sure.  She then laid her egg there and when she was done and we went in the pullet egg was missing. :shock:
Has anyone heard of a jealous hen? :huh: We are going to try and put some golf balls in a few of the boxes to maybe get her used to smaller eggs and break her of the habit, if that doesn’t work my husband will do away with her.  Help please, she lays a large egg often and I don't want to lose her.:nervous:

2013-07-27 12:43:22

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-07-27 12:52:47

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Egg Eater

Oh boy an egg eater is hard as once they have that taste it's hard to break them of it.  My only suggestion would be to separate her for awhile from the others to see if in fact it is her that is eating it or one of the pullets.
Someone else might have another suggestion :huh:

#3 2013-07-27 18:53:59

yardbirds

I had to resort to rollaway nest boxes...EO's are smart too....once they figure it out you will have no eggs.  Thing is they don't always use the box...my EO would watch the nest box and eat an egg as soon as it was laid...including her own.  another tactic she would employ was to prevent others from using the nest so they would lay on the coop floor or out on the ground in the run.  Soon they all became egg eaters.

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#4 2013-07-28 13:37:10

hollowridge

We were scared of the E.O.'s not laying in the nest boxes, but I think seeing the other older hens laying helped some.  If only a person could read a chickens thoughts!  :Crazy:
Just don't know why it is only the pullet eggs being eaten?  We have been watching so far we haven't had to separate her yet but time will tell. The golf ball trick maybe working.
We thought intergrading the two age groups would have been better than this after they got used to each other.  But our older hens are big bullies.  They snap the younger ones whenever they get in their way and when it come to treat time, well that is wild.  Hope the others grow up and stand up for themselves sometime soon.
:chairhide:

#5 2013-07-28 18:12:57

yardbirds

Yep, chickens can be mean.

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#6 2013-07-28 21:48:12

mikencarol

....................NAH........................Not EOs.........I have used ceramic nest eggs to break them also..............they get tired of trying to eat fake eggs.....although I did have a snake swallow...whole......a ceramic egg.  He didn't digest it very well...............he was DITNB......  :jumping:.......MIKE

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

Adverts

Board footer