Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-07-18 14:31:44

poplar girl
Administrator

What defects have you noticed in your EOs?

There is a long list of defects and disqualifications in the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection. Some disqualify your bird, some you just loose a 1/2 point or more out of a perfect score of 100.

As I study my EOs I keep noting more new defects. I'm thinking of making a checklist to use as I go through my birds deciding who to keep, and then later who to breed and who to pair with who. Also some are major things that would disqualify a bird, some are pretty minor and perhaps just something to be aware of at this stage. I know we need to remember the old adage "build the barn before you paint it" but I think it's important to consider the whole package as we go along as well!

I thought it might be helpful to create the list together. Maybe there are things I've noticed in my flock that others just haven't looked for or haven't had show up yet and vice versa. And then perhaps, if we know, we can indicate if each is a disqualification or defect and if a defect how many points.

So here is the start of a list:

Feather stubs (disqualification)
Side sprig (disqualification)
Entirely white tail feather (disqualification specific to EOs)
Wry tail (disqualification)
Shanks other than yellow (disqualification)

Crooked toe (each toe 1/2 to 2 point defect)
Wrinkled wattle (1/2 to 1 point defect)
Excessive white fluff at base of tail (1 point defect)
White in earlobe (positive enamel white is a disqualification, I can't find whether a bit of white is a defect)
Dark spots on shanks, feet or toes (1/4 to 2 point defect)

Dark color to the beak

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-07-18 14:31:44

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-07-18 14:42:22

Island Girl

Re: What defects have you noticed in your EOs?

Those darn combs get me everytime. I know that I am a comb snob, lol, but now I need clarification on a wrinkled comb. Do we have pictures of those? And I am still a little unsure of what we actually count as the points, I am noticing kinda blobed combs, for a lack of a real word, hmmm. I will go take some pictures of what confuses me and post them. be back later.

XOX Monika

#3 2013-07-18 18:51:54

Little Boy Blue
Website

Here is a list that is in an presentation on the EO SOP that Glen sent me for translation.

Minor Defects:
-Blade following the line of the neck
- Brown coloration at the top of the shanks
- too many or too few points on the comb
- White Shanks
- White feathers in the wings
- Lice (this is obviously show points only)
- Black feathers on the back
- Squirrel Tails

Major Defects (Reasons for disqualification):
- White Ear Lobes
- double tipped points on the comb
- Slate Shanks
- Crooked Keel
- Dark eye color
- Crooked toes
- Scissor Beak

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2013-07-18 18:52:59)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#4 2013-07-19 05:49:23

Micah and Kiah

Side sprig (disqualification)  None on chicks that I can see yet.  I am getting more and more convinced that Elevator's small mark is a battle scar not a side sprig.  My Gorria boys both had clavel combs.

Crooked toe (each toe 1/2 to 2 point defect)   One otherwise perfect pullet had crooked toes.  She is in a hen only home now.

- White feathers in the wings only in my Milles but that make sense and looks pretty on them  and Milles  they don't exist in the standard

Elevator has one tail feather that is half white.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#5 2013-07-19 06:10:43

NaturesPace
Website

i now have looked at my roo and think he has a wrinkled wattle, but i would have never looked for that.  i'll get a photo to make sure that he has it.

Last edited by NaturesPace (2013-07-19 06:11:14)

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#6 2013-07-19 15:03:08

mikencarol

Heidi....you silly girl....he is just grinning at you.  That causes their wattle to wrinkle!!  :no no:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#7 2013-07-19 15:12:05

mikencarol

Hey PG.....you are good at the genetics thing so I have a question.  I was telling MD that I am setting up a pen with nothing but a Yellow legged Rooster over Yellow legged hens.  This should produce...I think...100% yellow legs...?????  What I am wondering if anyone knows if they...white legs....at some point in further generations should show up again or if you stay yellow/yellow.....you should have that problem fixed.  I catch myself wanting to fix too many things at once!!!!............Mike

Last edited by mikencarol (2013-07-19 15:12:45)

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#8 2013-07-20 02:04:14

poplar girl
Administrator

If all the EOs in your breeding pen have yellow legs then yes, you will have chicks with no white legs just yellow. But you may still see the willow legs in the girls. The roosters will only have yellow legs but the pullets may show willow (greenish) so then just continue to select against it along with everything else.

I would say as much as white legs is a disqualification it is not a really difficult thing to fix over a generation or two. On the other hand it's something everyone notices so I have chosen to only breed yellow legged birds for the most part.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2013-07-20 03:48:56

Maggiesdad

I thought some of my birds had defects, then I plucked them and cooked them and they were just perfect! :huh: :eat:

:hi:

#10 2013-07-20 03:56:35

NaturesPace
Website

MD, stop it!

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#11 2013-07-20 12:33:40

Lindy Lou

:funny: OMG MD you are the funniest

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#12 2013-07-20 19:24:14

poplar girl
Administrator

I believe I am a comb snob as well IG. I love a nice medium sized, upright, evenly toothed, smooth comb on a rooster.

I definately have some with the double tipped point on the comb. And I think I know what you mean by the "blob" comb IG. And side sprigs I have quite a few birds with. M&K not sure if Elevator has a side sprig but he definately carries the ability to produce chicks with a side sprig as one of his daughters I hatched from you clearly has one. I am keeping her anyway. Genetic diversity above looks.

MD mentioned having a rooster with double spurs (minor defect).

#13 2013-07-21 02:28:48

Lisa

Interestingly, today I just found a young EO pullet (about 8 weeks) who is blind.

Discovered today with her foot trapped in some string. When I brought her in, I noticed a wierd head movement, and complete inability to find food held in my hand (first clue - who ever heard of an EO of any age that couldn't find food!!). When we got her pointed in the right direction, she ate an entire bowl full of food (must not have been able to find food since I took that batch out of the brooder and put them in bigger digs). Her eyes don't look unusual, and she's not showing balance issues (I wondered about neurological issues or Marek's).

She is happily resting in her own box in the living room. Not entirely sure what to do with her - DH seems to want to make a pet of her.

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#14 2013-07-21 12:19:08

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh wow Lisa, completely blind, poor girl!

I have one with eyesite problems as well. He can see but when he goes to peck at something he misses by half an inch or so. To me his eyes don't look quite normal, his iris has a bit of a fuzzy edge instead of being a clearly defined edge.

#15 2013-07-21 14:23:16

Flat Rock Farm

I have a similar hen that has some vision problems.  She is in the picture under "Cujo & the EO" I think that's why she does care about the dog, she sees the dog but she pecks at her and misses.  She must find food no problems as she is a decent size hen but even when I walk past her she gets a bit confused at to what direction to move.  She is in my "layer only" pen.

Oh and @ MD too funny :funny:

#16 2013-07-21 14:27:43

OR4-hmom

The last of my seven was shrink wrapped.  I'm not positive if it is the same one or not but 1 of mine has a small eye.  She turns her head at strange angles as if she is trying to find a focal area.  We've got a Brahma that has bad eyesight also.  It is fun watching her chase down treats - her aim is off by 1/2 inch also.

#17 2013-07-22 16:36:05

Little Boy Blue
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

I thought some of my birds had defects, then I plucked them and cooked them and they were just perfect! :huh: :eat:

:hi:

Funny I had one that I though looked petty good untill I plucked him then I could see he had a crooked keel.  I find that plucked chickens are much easier to evaluated than feathered ones.  You can cove a lot of of defects with feathers.

I had a cockerel last year that my wife was sure had vision problems (I was not so sure).  So I keep meaning to give all of my juviniles a sight test (I keep putting it off).  I was out this weekend watching them free range with our 10 grasshopper per square foot population density and I saw one particular cockerel pull multiple grasshopper out the the air durring mid hop.  I know there is nothing wrong with his vision.

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

Adverts

Board footer