Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-07-16 00:13:30

Amblecroft
Website

EOs from PQ

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k515/s_buttivant/hens2.jpg
Hen #1 & #2

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k515/s_buttivant/hen1-1.jpg
Hen #3

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k515/s_buttivant/011640x624.jpg
Hen #4 & 3 (in the background)

Here are the 4 hens I got from the breeder in P.Q.   They are nice and friendly, have good colour.  3 have pale yellow legs and one white legs.  Three with pale yellow beaks and one with really light coloured beak.  I haven't let them out with the rest yet as they've been in quarantine for bugs!  Oh well, they are scrubbed clean now and becoming quite personable with all the handling. Hopefully all the fresh air, green grass and good food will put them in tip top condition.  Hen #4 seems to have it worse with really bad swollen feet.

This is the roo I have in with them to keep them company.
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k515/s_buttivant/nroo.jpg

Last edited by Amblecroft (2013-07-16 00:35:29)

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

2013-07-16 00:13:30

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-07-16 01:25:45

Micah and Kiah

Re: EOs from PQ

Looking forward to seeing their youngsters!  Do you think the hen's legs are pale because of their healthy due to bugs?  Once they've been with you for awhile, they will be glowing with health.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#3 2013-07-16 11:30:50

poplar girl
Administrator

Amblecroft what kind of bugs did they have? I'm wondering If the feet being swollen is something else. I bought a trio of EOs from someone out here and they had frozen their feet. The Roos feet were really swollen and it didn't go away. The hens also had toes that were somewhat swollen looking. I still have one of the hens, she is 4 or 5, and her toes are still thick looking.

They are very nice looking EO hens for color. How are they for size? The white skin (beak/legs) is pretty easy to select out over a couple generations so no reason not to include that hen in your breeding group.

:congrats: on your new additions.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2013-07-16 17:52:22

Amblecroft
Website

They had mites and lice. I think I am rid of them but I will be persistant.   I would assume they've had them for a while. I've dipped them, powdered them, sprayed them and dosed them.  If they did lay an egg I wouldn't touch it!!  :sad:   In my eyes they seem happier :pics: and their legs have even improved in the last couple of weeks.  They were never outside so the fresh air and sunshine can only do them good.   They don't know about "roosting" either so it is obvious they've been on the floor. It woudl not surprise me if they had frozen feet.

#5 2013-07-17 15:33:24

hollowridge

So glad to see them in a good home and well taken care of.  They are beautiful looking hens.  I am sorry but if people chose to have animals then they should take care of them properly.  Makes me so mad so see animals suffer for no reason other then human stupidity!!:stomp:

They should turn into some happy little layers and you should be proud in all you care!!!!!:wine:

#6 2013-07-17 16:30:16

mikencarol

...........I didn't think those looked quite as healthy and spiffy as typical Amblecroft birds do.  Glad you got them to get them back into good shape  :thumbs:......I bet there is a big difference in a few weeks...................Mike.................PS hollowridge.........I still love that henhouse in your Avatar!!!!  :thumbsup:

Last edited by mikencarol (2013-07-17 16:33:20)

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#7 2013-07-17 19:01:26

Micah and Kiah

Please put me on your list for fertile eggs 2012 3 dozen in January or February, or even March!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#8 2013-07-17 20:47:20

hollowridge

mikencarol wrote:

...........I didn't think those looked quite as healthy and spiffy as typical Amblecroft birds do.  Glad you got them to get them back into good shape  :thumbs:......I bet there is a big difference in a few weeks...................Mike.................PS hollowridge.........I still love that henhouse in your Avatar!!!!  :thumbsup:

Thanks, We expaned this year and have double dormers now. :thumbsup:  Have to get it stained when it cools down here, then will change the Avatar to the new and improved version.

#9 2013-07-17 20:58:18

Amblecroft
Website

Sure thing M&K.  I am suspicious that the rooster died just from ill health and the stress of transport.  I hope to get him replaced.

#10 2013-07-18 02:21:10

poplar girl
Administrator

Amblecroft wrote:

Sure thing M&K.  I am suspicious that the rooster died just from ill health and the stress of transport.  I hope to get him replaced.

:shock: oh the poor fellow. You have yourself there some rescue chickens it seems.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2013-07-18 13:14:49

Amblecroft
Website

Expensive rescue chickens Popular Girl!

#12 2013-07-18 13:35:39

Flat Rock Farm

Hey Ambelcroft just out of curiosity where did you get these EO's from in QC?    I just saw that this ex-puppy mill place in Shawville QC (on a PSO thread) that had all their dogs seized and shut down is  now selling chickens/ducks/game fowl and guess what they have on their breed list........EO's!!!  :shock:
I am concerned for all the birds that she has but I know she will not be breeding out of love or conservation for the breed :(

#13 2013-07-18 13:39:16

poplar girl
Administrator

I would be very nice to get a  replacement rooster. I think mating the group together to see what I got for chicks would be where I would want to start. You will likely want to cross that line with your other EOs as well but it would be nice to start by seeing what genetics that group carries. I'm sure others (myself included!) would love to get eggs or birds from another pure line tracing back to the original flock as well. Maybe those sales will help offset your investment!

So I hope for all the cost and hassle you are successful in getting your replacement.

Also I use Frontline spray for mites. I order it out of the US from Cuttler Supply and it's the only thing I've found that gets rid of mite problems effectively. I had a nasty mite problem (my chooks picked them up at a poultry show) about 2 years ago and I battled them coming back just when i thought they were gone for over a year until I used Frontline.

#14 2013-07-18 20:20:33

mikencarol

PG................I have a friend that said if you will take 6cc of pour on ivomec to a gallon of water and give it to your birds as their drinking water......you will worm, kill mites and lice ALL for a year.  It sounds nearly too  good to be ture.  Has anyone heard this????  Sounds like it would be economical if it works????????          Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#15 2013-07-19 01:25:05

Flat Rock Farm

mikencarol wrote:

PG................I have a friend that said if you will take 6cc of pour on ivomec to a gallon of water and give it to your birds as their drinking water......you will worm, kill mites and lice ALL for a year.  It sounds nearly too  good to be ture.  Has anyone heard this????  Sounds like it would be economical if it works????????          Mike

Yes I would like to know this as well :hi:.  It's a pain catching everyone to ivomec them one at a time........not to mention messy.......I am usually covered in scratches and poop when I am done :sick:

#16 2013-07-19 02:44:49

Lindy Lou

Paula..Insert finger wagging smiley...I've warned you before  that mud wrestling  will do that to you :whistle:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#17 2013-07-19 03:03:29

Maggiesdad

No no smiley is right by the table smileys :no no: PG got us set up!

#18 2013-07-19 03:40:50

poplar girl
Administrator

I know for mites a double dose of Eprinex did not work for me. For lice and worms it works well.

#19 2013-07-20 20:25:32

Amblecroft
Website

The gentleman is near Victoriaville in PQ which is half way between Montreal and Quebec City.  A little out-of-the-way.  His business is a Pheasantry http://www.faisanderiestalbert.com/

Here is a little ad in the local kijiji-like listings:http://missdolittle.com/Recherche/euskal%20oiloa

There is a big poultry sale in Renfrew and I guess they go to these places to sell their birds.

Adverts

Board footer