Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-07-13 10:44:01

poplar girl
Administrator

Off to the the CHB lawn show

Out of bed at 4:30am and having a quick coffee. Then out to the barn to load the truck. It's only 1.3C here, I can see frost on the back deck in the pale light of the rising sun so it's a good thing all the chooks will be riding in the cab.

We're off to the Canadian Heritabe Breeds lawn show. I've entered 5 EOs: 2 marraduna pullets, 2 gorria pullets and a marraduna cockerel. On board will also be 5 self blue d'uccles entered in the show and 9 EO pullets destined for two great new homes.

I'll plan to take some pictures and share the judges feedback on the EOs. Let's hope the flaws the judge points out are ones I'm already aware of!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2013-07-13 10:44:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-07-13 11:07:36

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Off to the the CHB lawn show

Have a wonderful day PG and let us know how you made out, and oh yes :pics: :please:

#3 2013-07-13 11:14:10

yardbirds

:shock:  1.3C and frost on July 13th ?  YIKES

Good Luck at the show.  =D

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#4 2013-07-13 12:26:53

gubi
Website

good luck at the show

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2013-07-13 12:49:09

OR4-hmom

Hope you have a great trip and your birds do well.  Our birds are young but my daughter wants to enter them at our county fair anyway.
We'll find out if our judge has seen MB's before.

#6 2013-07-13 20:13:34

Lady leghorn
Website

We picked up our 4 pullets,  I am thrilled with them.  :excited:       All her birds looked lovely.   The self blue d"uccles were so pretty.     

We didn't stay long as we wanted to get the girls home.  Was very nice to meet  PG.   Must have been a long drive for them though.  :roadtrip:  They will be tired tonight.

#7 2013-07-13 22:48:38

Susan
Administrator

Hope you had a great day PG! Can't wait to hear about it :cheer:

#8 2013-07-14 02:58:32

Micah and Kiah

PG been thinking of of you lots today.  I hope you all had a great day and that lots of people realized you have some very special birds.  Can't wait for the photos!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#9 2013-07-14 03:55:04

Lady leghorn
Website

PG had some incredibly nice self blue d" uccles.    They really stood out in the bird section.    Was kind of funny, there was  a wild pigeon that obviously lived in the barns there. 

It kept flying past to see what was going on, and of course all the chickens, especially the Roosters were making sure all the chickens knew there was a hawk there. 

Wasn't a hawk, but did kind of look like one the way it flew.  Caused quite a commotion.  :)

I'm not sure if it was a D'uccle or not. but a rooster crowed from that area, and it had the funniest  little noise come out.   Hubby and I decided if an EO would crow like that we'd have

one.  Lol.    I heard an EO crow on one of the u tube vidoes on here somewhere, it had a funny crow too. 

Sure fell for that lovely big Tom turkey, he was so neat to pet.   We never really made friends with our's when we raised them from chicks for our family's consumption.   I would have

liked to look at the birds more, but we had our 4 girls to get home, so didn't linger.  They traveled just fine.      :EO:

#10 2013-07-14 04:06:44

poplar girl
Administrator

We are it home finally! A long day but glad I went. Lady leghorn is was great meeting you, those 4 young ladies are fortunate to have gone to such a great new home!

I will post details and pictures tomorrow but I am very glad I entered some basques in the show. No surprises from the judge, but I got that second opinion just to make sure there's nothing I've missed. I think we're on the right track folks :thumbsup: More tomorrow.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2013-07-14 04:14:44

Lady leghorn
Website

PG,  So glad to hear there were no surprises, you were really wondering.  Obviously had nothing to worry about.   Good for you.   :thumbs:

#12 2013-07-14 14:06:32

poplar girl
Administrator

I have to say my photos are not the best :oops: it was a cool but sunny day until the last hour and then it got cold, windy and rainy and that's when I tried to take photos.

In general for the crowd pleasing factor the marraduna Roo was a real hit. Quite a few people asked me about the breed. The marraduna pullets also received more attention than the two gorria, from the crowd and the judge. This time around I had no gorria rooster to bring along but I suspect it wouldn't have mattered, the marraduna are just too pretty!

Little Guy took Best of Breed. He was so well behaved all day and has never been aggressive so today when I go out to clean the coop I am hoping he is still gentle and non aggressive, this is my biggest fear of showing roosters as I have seen it bring out the worst in them. He is a BHR rooster and is about 14 months old now. Still no white in his tail or on his wings and is very close to correct marraduna coloring in my opinion and the judge agreed. He has a slight bit of white on his earloabe which I was aware of and a slightly wrinkled wattle which the judge didn't point out but when I asked him he said wrinkled wattles are very minor. His comb is nice in size and shape, his beak is yellow with no darker color. His worst trait is his size, he is small. The judge did not note anything I have failed to observe which was reassuring. With only one male there he could not compare him to others for me but this year's roosters are just too young. Plus at least one of my potential keeps is heterozygous barred so I'm not sure I can show him.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/9c831745ce77ab59ea1e971b2635d671.jpg

The pullets, I showed two marraduna and two gorria. They are all the result of pair breeding this year so of mixed blood lines and none from the same pair. The judge noted no flaws with any I was not aware of. The willow legs he did point out on one. He noted in general the feather quality of the basques was very nice, nice wide thick feathers. Of the two marraduna one was more solid colored, the other more barred. He mentioned the more barred pullet would be a good "male line" breeder while the more solid was better in his eyes for the "female line". This two pen breeding concept is quite common to other breeds and I have to say I think we should try to avoid going down that road!! Out description of the perfect male and perfect female in our SOP should allow for those birds to come from the same breeding pen it at all possible in my opinion.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/036cc29c06c251c0d6759f60b0794f73.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/1f3dc0619b7f25288cbbe7567f63fd53.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/fdf42f65b5eb5df4a691a1a176cccb35.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/Euskal%20oiloa/c1ec1f922bb2e14d0c5d5778fa22d577.jpg

So in general I think for me and our EOs, yesterday was a success. No twisted feathers, crooked keel, wry tail, roach back, split wing, etc. etc. etc. that I have missed on any of these birds. Not even any more minor flaws. They are all looking good in a general way and that's great news to me.

#13 2013-07-14 14:56:13

Susan
Administrator

That's awesome! Nice to have that seasoned opinion for sure. Especially for the basic characteristics like wry tail, crooked keel etc. I love that people are starting to get our birds "out and about" in the shows. It will help the breed immensely, not to mention further our own understanding. Well done PG!

#14 2013-07-14 20:28:26

Flat Rock Farm

I am so glad your birds did well, they look great!!! :applause:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2013-07-14 20:28:48)

#15 2013-07-14 22:19:20

Lady leghorn
Website

:congrats:        So glad you did so well.    :EO:           How did the self blue d"uccles do?   They were so pretty.  Beautiful birds.  My hubby really liked them.  :jumping:

#16 2013-07-14 22:30:17

Maggiesdad

:excited: This is great, PG!  Congratulations!  :thumbs:

#17 2013-07-15 02:43:51

poplar girl
Administrator

Well since KRL and I share d'uccles and we were the only two with birds there I guess we won ;) the judge has a bit different opinion on what we'd like to see. This little pullet is my favorite although the judge gave her second.

You'll have to co e out to the Novermber CHB show lady leghorn, I hope to bring even more EOs and d'uccles to that show :chook:

#18 2013-07-15 04:09:29

Lady leghorn
Website

PG where is that CHB show going to be held?

#19 2013-07-15 04:24:45

Island Girl

Way to go! It can be a lot of work getting everyone ready for the show etc. It looks like you did a great job and should be proud of yourself for doing so. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

XOX Monika

#20 2013-07-16 01:16:10

Micah and Kiah

:congrats:  Sound like you great feedback.  You and I have studied the APA standards lots.   Great to hear that you have  developed such a good eye and the judge agreed with your evaluations of the stock!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#21 2013-07-16 01:37:43

poplar girl
Administrator

Lady leghorn wrote:

PG where is that CHB show going to be held?

At the Westerner in Red Deer. It's generally a pretty large show goes for 2 full days. The judge will be a different one so it's a way to get a completely different opinion and Rico and Heather Hayes are generally there for a second and third opinion.

M&K just when I think I'm starting to learn I often get a curve ball so this time I am happy that didn't happen!

#22 2013-07-16 05:38:45

Island Girl

It appears that Rico will be doing the judging at our show in Coombs again this year, I believe I had better refresh my memory with our standard and get the enteries in.

XOX Monika

#23 2013-07-16 11:12:37

poplar girl
Administrator

Well I refreshed Rico's memory of EOs for you IG, I sent him our draft SOP including adding a new description for gorria since we didn't have one yet. He was somewhat familiar with the marraduna from past shows, perhaps your birds? But had never seen gorria before. To be honest I wanted his opinion on type more than anything anyway, color is the easy part for me. I think he was surprised to see a cock with no white in his tail though! You should absolutely put birds in the Coombs show, I think it makes a positive statement about our interest and intent with the breed. I do think it's difficult for judges to understand why we can't just pick a breed already recognized by the APA though!

#24 2013-07-16 17:48:02

mikencarol

It is SOOOOOO cool of you to post these pics and let us know what the Judges said.........it helps me a lot.  THANK YOU PG for working so hard to promote what we all already know is "the Best Breed around".....................Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#25 2013-07-16 19:44:37

Lady leghorn
Website

PG if that show is at the westerner, we will be there.  :jumping:     The young girls are all doing well, it was so nice to actually meet you.  Thank you so much for sharing.  :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer