Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-07-03 18:25:11

hollowridge

Commets please, all needed and welcome

Here are pictures of our 14 week olds.  We are looking at breeding in the spring and wanted some imput on our chicks.  We are hoping to get another roo but we are looking at these also.  Lots of pictures sorry hope not too many. 2 pictures of each and then a comment.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/Lady1pic_zpsa3684330.jpg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/lady1_zps52fc1b16.jpg
Lady 1 is the only one with the right feel and she has some barring in the tale

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/Lady2pic_zps6c4e7ae5.jpg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/Lady2_zps354f4e89.jpg
Lady 2 has a lot of black in her and wrong feel color
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/Lady3pic_zpsab1728c9.jpg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/Lady3_zpsc27fe61b.jpg
Lady 3 has wrong feet but I like her color
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/Lady4_zps0282ebc8.jpg
Lady 4 has crooked toe so we like her color but won't breed, had lots of problems with that in our Australorps.
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/Roo1pic_zps235a9ae5.jpg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/Roo1_zps074c1065.jpg
Roo 1 has nice legs, tail good a little brown in bottom but very light
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/Roo2pic_zps64df64e1.jpg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a601/hollowridge/Roo2_zpsd26386c0.jpg
Roo 2 has wrong feet, but is a broader roo then the other but also has lots more brown in tail.

These are our views on them and not sure what you all think, but would love to hear from you and what you would do.
:thanks:

2013-07-03 18:25:11

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-07-03 23:44:01

riverbendfarm
Website

Re: Commets please, all needed and welcome

At quick glance here are my thoughts:

Breed the pullets you have, excepting the one with the crooked toe if you are hoping to expand your flock by a large number of chicks. If you are more concerned with holding to type and standard you should only breed from Lady #1. Since those roosters came from the same hatching, breed neither of them. I will give you a nicely colored roo with orange legs to put to Lady #1 if you like, one that I hatched from Flat Rock Farm stock and will do well for you. If you get that orange-legged rooster from me you could put Lady #3 with them, giving you your best trio (in my opinion). I would choose to breed the Mille Fleur pattern of Lady #3 over Lady #2 because of the black smut on Lady #2's feathers.

You should then hatch a lot from that trio next year, and select from them the very best to split into two families. By hatch a lot I mean as many as you can keep, you will be eating a lot of chicken and selling a lot of off-color pullets but there is certainly no shortage of people who will take them for layers. I would not recommend selling roosters with them as this will encourage people to breed inferior birds that will not help our cause of standardizing this breed, but of course this is your decision.

I need to make my selections of my roosters then I will know how many spares I have. I believe that I will have at least 4 roosters to re-home to you and Wesley. I also know someone who may sell you one that also derives from FRF stock. I will have two family groups with 2 roosters in each. I have two roosters from SLF lines, and two from FRF (semi-related I know, but its the farthest I can find to date). Those roosters will be put over my three-four very best pullets from the opposite family for my next summer's hatching. I keep two roosters because you should ALWAYS have insurance. I lost both my breeding roosters last winter and was only saved by a very lucky find and bringing eggs from FRF.

I separate my birds by banding them with different colored zip ties by family. Thanks so much for the pictures!

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#3 2013-07-04 00:05:39

hollowridge

riverbendfarm wrote:

At quick glance here are my thoughts:

Breed the pullets you have, excepting the one with the crooked toe if you are hoping to expand your flock by a large number of chicks. If you are more concerned with holding to type and standard you should only breed from Lady #1. Since those roosters came from the same hatching, breed neither of them. I will give you a nicely colored roo with orange legs to put to Lady #1 if you like, one that I hatched from Flat Rock Farm stock and will do well for you. If you get that orange-legged rooster from me you could put Lady #3 with them, giving you your best trio (in my opinion). I would choose to breed the Mille Fleur pattern of Lady #3 over Lady #2 because of the black smut on Lady #2's feathers.

You should then hatch a lot from that trio next year, and select from them the very best to split into two families. By hatch a lot I mean as many as you can keep, you will be eating a lot of chicken and selling a lot of off-color pullets but there is certainly no shortage of people who will take them for layers. I would not recommend selling roosters with them as this will encourage people to breed inferior birds that will not help our cause of standardizing this breed, but of course this is your decision.

I need to make my selections of my roosters then I will know how many spares I have. I believe that I will have at least 4 roosters to re-home to you and Wesley. I also know someone who may sell you one that also derives from FRF stock. I will have two family groups with 2 roosters in each. I have two roosters from SLF lines, and two from FRF (semi-related I know, but its the farthest I can find to date). Those roosters will be put over my three-four very best pullets from the opposite family for my next summer's hatching. I keep two roosters because you should ALWAYS have insurance. I lost both my breeding roosters last winter and was only saved by a very lucky find and bringing eggs from FRF.

I separate my birds by banding them with different colored zip ties by family. Thanks so much for the pictures!

Thanks Chad, for taking the time to look at the pictures and much apprecitated feed back.  We were thinking along the same lines for breeding, we won't breed the crooked toe for sure and we do want to try and standardize them.  We do really apprecitate getting a roo from you to help with the breed stock anytime let us know.  We knew that you didn't get many roo's from your FRF hatch.  You will have to show us some pictures from your flock.

#4 2013-07-04 00:19:23

gubi
Website

Well said riverbend, good advice.  It looks like all your girls have a touch of millie fleure in them except for the grey one.  I would be tempted to leave all 3 in with a rooster and then you get to hatch even more chickies, then as you get quite a few chicks I would keep hatching only from the first pullet for a little while. Just to give you an idea on the numbers I hatched about 100 chicks last year and only 7 pullets were kept for breeding, 3 at M&K's and 4 are here still.  But on the upside there is lots of demand for the non breeding pullets and the cockerels taste great!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2013-07-04 01:54:23

poplar girl
Administrator

Good advice given!

A few additional comments, I definately see some side sprigs on the first rooster and possibly on Lady 1? Not necessarily a reason not to breed them but something else to look for.

Crooked toes like your one pullet has are definately genetic, avoid breeding her to sure.

All that said I am finding that I am sometimes surprised by what chicks I get as the parent can seem really good and throw a lot of far from perfect chicks. The opposite could also occurs I would I afire where you get nice chicks from parents with clear flaws.

As gubi pointed out you do need to expect to hatch many to get a few nice ones.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2013-07-04 04:20:28

Prairie Chick

I can't give any advice as I am not educated enough on color, I did enjoy the pics tho :)

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#7 2013-07-04 12:11:04

hollowridge

poplar girl wrote:

Good advice given!

A few additional comments, I definately see some side sprigs on the first rooster and possibly on Lady 1? Not necessarily a reason not to breed them but something else to look for.

Crooked toes like your one pullet has are definately genetic, avoid breeding her to sure.

All that said I am finding that I am sometimes surprised by what chicks I get as the parent can seem really good and throw a lot of far from perfect chicks. The opposite could also occurs I would I afire where you get nice chicks from parents with clear flaws.

As gubi pointed out you do need to expect to hatch many to get a few nice ones.

Okay, didn't know what side sprigs were, so looked it up in this forum.  I found the article that you had posted.  Will have to go and take a look at this.  We are looking at keeping the breed true, but don't plan on showing them.  Thanks for the good advice.

#8 2013-07-04 23:52:40

riverbendfarm
Website

I looked at my roosters today and am not having too many with yellow legs :(
The good thing is I have a full adult with great legs, beak, no sprigs and just a bit light in colour. You can certainly have him if you like. One other thing about the Millie's: they change after their first moult. My Millie lost a lot of her flecking and looks much more standard now. I can also give you nicely coloured Roos with great barring but white or willow legs. But in your case I'd definitely look for a yellow legged roo to offset that fault in your hens.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.
~Heraclitus

#9 2013-07-05 02:52:59

Susan
Administrator

Gotta disagree there RB. The Millies get even more Millie after a moult! And then the next one and the next....

#10 2013-09-29 02:28:57

riverbendfarm
Website

Hey Susan, several weeks have passed and my Millie hen is actually now MORE flecked than she was before. She must not have completed her moult when I made my last comment. She has an almost snowy speckly cast to her now.

~Heraclitus

#11 2013-09-29 13:34:25

Susan
Administrator

Hee hee! I think I have some pics posted somewhere here of my four year old milles. They are pretty cute but yes- wow, it sure does increase. :)

Adverts

Board footer