Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2013-06-25 10:48:18

Amblecroft
Website

Egg transfer?

I have a hen sitting on eggs that are starting to hatch.  I don't know if the eggs have thin shells or if she is doing a dance on them but so far two chicks have been squashed.  I have the incubator running (chicks due on the weekend) so I was thinking maybe I should transfer the broodie hen's eggs to the incubator and put some fake eggs under the hen, just until the chicks hatch, and at least give them a fighting chance!  Has anyone ever done this?  The only problem I can see is that I still have to turn the incubator eggs.

Last night I went to bed and I had heard a littl EO chick peeping and this morning it is a pancake :(     I can hear another one peeping this morning :nervous:

Last edited by Amblecroft (2013-06-25 10:50:17)

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

2013-06-25 10:48:18

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2013-06-25 12:56:30

gubi
Website

Re: Egg transfer?

If you take the eggs away why do you want to give the chicks back after?  I would hope for the best that she gets over her baby jitters fast and doesn't crush any more chicks.  I only ever had that problem once but I think it was because I had her in too small of a nest?  I ended up losing all her chicks to a skunk a day later so I'm not sure if the skunk was around at the hatch already.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2013-06-25 13:14:30

Amblecroft
Website

I'd much prefer the hen to look after the chicks and keep them warm so that is why I want to give them back.  I've not had any accidents before.  Perhaps she's made the nest too small.  Maybe I'll go flatten it out a bit and see if it helps.  She seems pretty sensible about everything.

#4 2013-06-25 13:16:07

mikencarol

.........I agree with gubi.  I think the only time I have had babies mashed is when the nesting box was too small.  Even with a big ole Buff Orph, I have hatched Seramas.  If there is room, the babies should schootch  (Oklahoma word) to the outside of the nesting area.  How many eggs is she covering?  I have a bantum Ameuracana covering 16 eggs now!  SHE MUST BE NUTS!.....................Mike

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#5 2013-06-25 14:11:58

Amblecroft
Website

She had 24 when I found her and I took away 10 and put them in the incubator at the start. So, with the 14 I left her with she now has 10.  Two thin-shelled eggs broke earlier and then the two squished chicks.   

I've gone out and flattened out her nest which is about 12" x 18" it seems. 

There are plenty in the incubator for her to tend when they hatch (even if half of them hatch).

Adverts

Board footer